AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting eagerly for hdtv to arrive in my local area. It just did with a whopping one channel (OTA). Well, I just bought the MyHD card for my htpc so I could see it and now I am hooked and want more! One station just isn't going to do it for me and I don't want to wait another year for more stations to get on board.

So I assume my only option is satellite hdtv. My question is could someone please let me know what equipment I need if I am ONLY concerned about satellite hdtv viewing like hdnet and whatever else is out there. My initial assumption is that I simply need an eliptical dish and a receiver but again I just don't know. Do I need an eliptical dish and a regular dish if I want to see SDTV as well as HDTV? What receiver seems most popular right now?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
You need an elliptical dish with the Sat. C kit installed, and the Hughes HIRD-E86 satellite tuner. This tuner will give you everything-OTA, DIRECTV and you can run cable through it if you so choose. And of course you need a UHF antenna connected to it for OTA.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Isn't this required only if you want SHO-HD? As far as I know, aren't HDnet and HBO-HD coming off Sat-B? Are you suggesting Sat-C because any future HD channels will be on that? How wise is it to get Sat-C right now if you are not interested in SHO-HD at the time. I am just wondering if all future HD satellite channels will be on that location...

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ahsan
Isn't this required only if you want SHO-HD? As far as I know, aren't HDnet and HBO-HD coming off Sat-B? Are you suggesting Sat-C because any future HD channels will be on that? How wise is it to get Sat-C right now if you are not interested in SHO-HD at the time. I am just wondering if all future HD satellite channels will be on that location...

Thanks,
You'll need the oval dish if you want both HBO and Showtime HD. HBO is on Sat B (119) and Showtime is on Sat C (110). There may come a day when both HBO and Showtime HD are both on Sat C but DirecTV is not saying if so and when.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah I understand that an elliptical dish is the least needed (in order to get Sat B 119 which gives you HDnet and HBO HD. If you want SHO-HD you need the 3rd LNB (SAT C 110). Just wondering what the future holds as I purchased a home that already had an elliptical dish with 2 LNBs and am in no rush to go back up to put a 3rd LNB up unless a DirecTV starts putting more HD on 119.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Also, Mark Cuban has stated there will be several more HDNet channels coming soon, and there is a possibility these would have to go to Sat. C. If all you are interested in now is HDNet (199) and HBO-HD (509) the C kit is not necessary.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Benji,

Posted at the same time, thanks. Is there no room on Sat B for future HD programming? If that is the case, then I will start thinking about installing a Sat C LNB whenever I hear word on the new channels...

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Off the top of my head, I recall reading elsewhere that DIRECTV wanted to use Sat. B for local stations, and in the near future begin moving all HD to Sat. C. But I think that is still a ways off and maybe not until after the merger with DISH Network is resolved one way or the other. In the short term I'm certain you're all set with just A and B if you don't want ShowtimeHD.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
JP:

You don't "need" the Hughes receiver. Benji is only stating his preference. You certainly do need a high definition satellite receiver, but there are several on the market. You can find lots of info in this forum on the various makes, along with their pro's and con's.

Also, it seems newer models are debuting soon so, if you're not in a hurry for satellite HD, it might be worthwhile waiting to see what gets announced.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.