AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read quite a few posts about color analyzers and spectroradiometers. Since I'm new, I don't want to do any calibrations by eye. What do I really need to get started? I want to know what works best for value of the dollar that I can use for all display devices and is practical to use at the client site. Obviously, I want to keep my start-up costs as low as possible, but want to do an excellent job for my prospective clients. Please recommend brands.

I'm inclined to think I need a signal generator as well for HDTV. What kind of outputs does it need to have? I imagine it should have a component out among others. Any recommendations?

Please go slowly. While I'm no dolt, I'm not a scientist either. I just enjoy a display's fine image and want to do the same for others.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,719 Posts
You want an Accupel HD generator - its developer Greg Rogers will be my Special Guest at the AVS Special Guest forum on May 26th. And a Progressive Labs CA-1 Color Analyzer which AV Science On Line Store just had a power buy on.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you are really going to do this for a living and are going to be doing

multiple kinds of display devices, you are going to want a full spectrum

device that is accurate for any and all display devices.

examples

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/dilad65.jpg

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/daylight.jpg

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/crtmon.jpg

very few devices out there can correctly calculate color temps for

spectrums like these.

As far as HD generators are concerned, you will definitely need one.

But a used unitymotion (integra 815) works absolutely great as

a reference generator, and is attractively priced.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, so far.

Could you folks please share some field experiences with these devices in comparison to others? I've read some technical comparisons between the Sencore, Phillips, and Progressive Labs color analyzers, but I'm interested in real world experiences as well. For instance, is it practical to use a spectroradiometer in the field or are they to slow? Are the differences between devices minuscule in viewing of the final results achieved?

The more info you can provide, me the better. Best if you can answer the questions I haven't thought of yet.

·
Registered
21,719 Posts
John Gannon, formerly Technical Editor of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, used the Progressive Labs CA-1 back in Nov. 2001 to setup

my Dwin HD-700 CRT projector. He reviewed it for SGHT about the same time.

Go to the AVS Special Guest forum and browse the guest threads for John Gannon (he appeared twice), Mark Hunter (Dilard and Colorfacts), Robert Busch, and other ISF Setup folks for some info as well.

I think you should first take the Imaging Science Foundation's course, and while your there barrage them with questions re the pros and cons of different equipment you could use - and then you can decide what to buy.

www.imagingscience.com

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you.

I've already taken the ISF course and passed it. I'm not sure that means much, since I have no practical experience. I didn't barrage them with questions, because it appears they have an alliance with Sencore. I didn't expect that they would recommend other products. A Sencore sales representative attended. Sencore is now also maintaining the service menu access codes as well.

I'm starting to see that the CA-1 is probably the instrument of choice. Does anyone know if it comes with a USB hookup?

If I have to purchase a laptop to run the software, can the same laptop be used as a signal generator?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Laptops as signal generators are generally pretty lousy for a number

of reasons. There are a couple of very good pcmcia video cards that

can plug into the laptop that are suitable, i don't have the list at

the moment.

As far as i know the CA-1 is serial port (rs232) only.

There is a usb version of the sequel probe, but i do not think

the ca-1 software supports that. Cliff Plavin would definitely

be able to answer your questions.

There are a number of full spectroradiometers out there that are

fast enough (i.e. more than 1 reading per second) and these units

work great. The minolta cs100 (very hard to find in the USA) and

the gretag-macbeth lightspex are 2 such units.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ANYBODY can help me find a local ISF courses that I can take in FLORIDA?I would like to get some knowledge about this kind of SETTINGS.Thanks in advance KC>>>LOCATIONS AND PHONE#'s

·
Registered
21,719 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
The Progressive Labs CA-1 probe is a serial device for the current model software. AVS is presently offering this item at a special reduced price. If your laptop accepts only USB you may use an adapter such as the Keyspan USA-19QW Serial to USB device which is available at Comp USA for about $45.00 .

The Margi Video Card

http://www.margi.com/products/displa...fications.html

which is a PCMCIA video card is available for about $299.00 will support most resolutions that you will need to use to calibrate displays with. The Margi Video card has been tested by others on this forum to output textbook accurate voltage output providing highly accurate video signals. You could then use patterns from a DVD drive or applications such as Displaymate to generate your patterns with.

Cliff Plavin

Progressive Labs

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please bear with me, I am a novice. It doesn't appear that this card does full HDTV. If so, that means I could only calibrate devices limited to the output resolutions? How does the signal get to the component or RGB input of the display device?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.