Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my opinion,

replaytv.com is great for programming shows when, lets say you are at work........yep, but why not just do it at home.

The only reason I can see for using it is to setup recordings when you can get to you machine but the problem is you can not "refresh" your replay box with the replay n/w, so for now all you can do is set up a recording for the following day, which is done much easier (and quicker) from home...

is it still a feature?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Maybe you're traveling on business and forgot to set the Replay for a show that you want to see while you're going to be gone, or maybe your trip got extended, and you're not going to be home when you thought you would be.

It's not a "Killer Feature" of the Replay, but it's one of the small things that sold me on the Replay.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
My husband is a pilot. He often gets stuck with last minute trips that will have him away from home for a week or so. In packing his flight bag, he doesn't have time to program his replay to catch that special on Showtime he wanted to see, or some show on the Discovery channel, etc.

So when he gets to his hotel, he logs in and sets the records. When he finally gets home, he has them ready to watch. Sometimes it misses one if he was under the time bar or there was trouble connecting, most of the time he gets them all.

Why don't I record them for him? Well, I do record the things he doesn't want to see right away, or doesn't have the channels at his crash pad to record. But he uses it mostly at his crash pad, which is 600 miles from our house, and where he spends his time while on duty and not flying.

Something that many of us are anticipating is realtime myreplaytv, and with the 4k series it isn't a big stretch for that to happen. Hopefully they will flip that switch on soon, so that I could be idlely perusing the channel guide at work and realize that there is an episode of Beverly Hills 90210 that I haven't managed to see after all these years starting in 20 minutes. I could then say "Record! Record like the wind!" and it would be waiting for me when I get home.

As it is, my.replaytv.com is a nifty feature that most people have no real use for. I use it mostly because its much easier to set up theme channels for shows that I'm hoping will one day air again with a keyboard and a web browser than it is with the replay remote. My husband uses it to delete stuff and record things while he's away. So, its pretty useful for us.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Two uses of myreplaytv.com:

1) I have a crappy memory for tasks. If I happen to remember right now that there's something I want to record, it's all the better that I can sit down to the 'pute (if I'm away from home) and set the record event before I forget again

2) Answering the "Did you record last night's XXX" queries at the office. I can't remember what I've seen or what I've deleted, so myreplaytv.com is useful for giving mostly accurate answers as to whether I can do a dump to tape for the guy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I just wanted to vent a little -)

I do see the good it can do, but I wanted to record a show today that was not programed.

I would love to see a refresh button added and not only for replaytv.com but also to be able to refresh with the network when needed,

i.e. I am recording the world cup matches which happen in the early hours and have stoped my box from connecting to the replay network.

I can not view recordings for the last couple of days so I am thinking a lack of connection is the reason, no biggie though.........I still love the replayer even if I need to wait 24 hours sometimes.-)

·
Registered
971 Posts
While it would be really nice if myreplaytv.com was synced live to my ReplayTV box, but though it isn't, it still has lots of uses. There have been many times when I have been away from home and saw a show that I would like to record. Quickly and simply, I could schedule it.

It's also a great way to check out channel listings when you are away from home. I subscribe to DirecTV and I could use their web site to check channel listings, but the myreplaytv.com site has my personalized channel listings, so it's easy and effortless. Their "find" feature works well, and the interface (terminology, at least) matches the ReplayTV box so there is no confusion.

It's not a perfect system, but what it does, it does well. I have never had any problems with it the 20 to 30 or so times I have used ti to set up a recording.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Rossoc-

Not sure if you're aware of it since you just registered for this site, but you can manually connect your ReplayTV box if you have been having problems connecting becuase of World Cup early AM matches.

While watching a show through the ReplayTV, press "243 Zones" on the remote, then choose NetConnect.

> I can not view recordings for the last couple of days so I am thinking a

> lack of connection is the reason, no biggie though.........I still love the

> replayer even if I need to wait 24 hours sometimes.-)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thx Mike, I was not aware of that feature, maybe we will be able to do it over the web some day soon.

I just got my replayer last friday and didn't have much time over the weekend to play but so far so good.

I may need to rethink its possition in the daisy chain. I hate to go off topic but will the 480p output of the replayer apply to every signal coming out of the box, i.e. act as a line doubler, if so I can put the replayer on another input and take it out of the loop the video scaler is on.

Many things to think about.

Thx

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I look at it as a bonus. I like it and I don't have a problem with planning my vewing the day before instead of the same day.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Myreplaytv.com's search engine is better than the actual box. this is mostly due to the fact that the descriptions are longer in myreplaytv.com.

But one weird fact is that the year for the movie descriptions are wrong most of the time in myreplaytv.com. -mk

·
Registered
63 Posts
myreplytv.com has come in quite handy several times when i have gone on vacation and have forgot to set something to record.

the ability to change record options, such as how many shows to keep, would be a great addition

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a large number of NG channels for things like actors names and stuff like that. I get a TON of stuff that I don't really want to watch, but record anyway because some times I get things I do want to watch.

For example, SMG is doing the talk show circuit and I get all of her appearance with my SMG channel. However, I get like 6 Buffys a day.

So, MyReplayTV.com is great for deleting all of those shows that I don't watch. I just log in from work and click away at the shows I want to delete. In seconds they are gone. Makes deleting ten or twelve shows easy.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikek

But one weird fact is that the year for the movie descriptions are wrong most of the time in myreplaytv.com. -mk
That must be local to you, I don't have that problem.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use it at home sometimes. One nice thing about MyReplayTV.com is that you can sort the shows by size, title, date, or channel. This comes in handy when you are cleaning stuff up after neglecting your ReplayTV for a while.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Montezuma58
This comes in handy when you are cleaning stuff up after neglecting your ReplayTV for a while.
You neglect your replay?! :eek:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel

You neglect your replay?! :eek:
Not nearly as bad as I neglect my Tivo. I just recently cleaned off some stuff from it that was over 6 months old. It also has a tendency to only record Cheers, westerns, and some crappy sitcom on Disney. I guess I really need to redo that thumb thing too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is it just me or is the channel page PAINFULLY slow? Finding is fine, and messing around with deleting shows, etc. is fine, but actually scanning for shows is dog slow, and navigating around is painful, since you have to click on a link to see 'more channels'.

If all of the shows showing at once could be in the list, it would be much more usable, since you wouldn't have to keep waiting to get something done. It can't be any slower/more effort for the db software, as opposed to multiple lookups.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
When MyReplayTV.com was first done, Netscape 4 was still a dominant browser, and it is painfully awfully incredibly slow when confronted with large tables -- like a full channel guide would be.

·
Registered
391 Posts
That was the main reason I hated to use myreply.com. It was just painfully slow. It has been a few months since I have checked it out, but if its the same speed as it used to be, dont waste your time.

Rare

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Montezuma58

Not nearly as bad as I neglect my Tivo. I just recently cleaned off some stuff from it that was over 6 months old...
I know the TiVo is like a black hole for stuff that gets recorded on it.

Now KenL never neglects the Replays... :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.