Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both around $250 in price.

I could step up to the XR70 and 1015TX also close in price but I dont need the HDMI switching or addition inputs.

For $250 these 2 choices seem like the best but I cant seem to pull the trigger.

Im trying to downsize and replace an older AVR-320 that feeds a 5 channel HK PA-5800.

Whats the pluses and minuses of both?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I've seen the Panny for $250 shipped, but where do you find a 1014 in that range. Even people on Craiglist want > $300. BB seems to be out. There are some e-tailers that advertise, but not authorized dealers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje
I'll take the old one off your hands.

[email protected] :D

I went with the Panny and itll be here next day shipped from J&R tomorrow.

As for the AVR and AMP. I wish I would have seen your offer sooner.

AVR - http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...tem=5798269169

AMP - http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ult&1128989639

At those prices I expect them to both sell within 48 hours.

[email protected] item # is 5798269169

If its not allowed to link auctions here then Ill remove it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You already chose but I believe the market is trending to digital amps because they are cheaper to manufacture. If most of your sources are digital (DVD, CD, ATSC, ...) then the digital amp is the cleanest path. If most of your sources are 2 or more channel analog, then consider an amp that has an analog path all the way through.

For me, it's a simple choice. My receiver gets fed a diet of AC3, sometimes DTS, rarely analog, so I got the XR55. Check in the big XR55 thread and you'll see a link to a review of the XR55 where the amplifier performance is incredible for this price range. Lots of clean power, even with 7 channels driven.

For reasons of cost, the low to mid range stuff will soon be all digital.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my line of thinking that led me to the XR55. I have a dedicated 2 channel system so this was strictly for HT and TV. I figured since Im coming out of my HTPC and my HD Cable box via digital/optical into a digital receiver to a digital amp, it just made sense.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
For reasons of cost, the low to mid range stuff will soon be all digital.
Actually, when it comes to the new Sony ES receivers, only their flagship model is digital. All the lower models are of analog design/format. For the previous line of ES receivers that came out a few years ago, the only one in the line-up that was analog was the lowest model.

With that being said, my XR55 will also arrive tomorrow from J&R.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've already posted on the main Panny thread and I don't want to spam and repeat so I'll just summarize and say I love this thing. Everything I run is also digital. Satellite TV and DVDs. I've been running my old Kenwood 309 a lot the last week so I could compare fairly. The new Panny wins hands down.

Can't say where, but you can get the XR-55 for less than 250, shipped, if you look around the common internet stores.

At the same place you can also get the Athena AS-R1.2 dipole surround speakers for under $75/ea, shipped. Got them both.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.