AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the format. I just bought a Samsung PN58A650 plasma and a Sony playstation 3 to run through a Onkyo 606 receiver. But I have quite a few VHS tapes. Is there a player that I can buy that would upconvert them? Or will the receiver surfice? As I said it is a stupid question - Thanks in advance - Mark

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbb /forum/post/14337530

I'm new to the format. I just bought a Samsung PN58A650 plasma and a Sony playstation 3 to run through a Onkyo 606 receiver. But I have quite a few VHS tapes. Is there a player that I can buy that would upconvert them?

No.

Quote:
Or will the receiver surfice?

Yes.

Also: the display itself will scale any input signal to its native resolution. Quality is not going to very good no matter how you do it; VHS is pretty low-definition by today's standards and there isn't much that can be done to improve it.

-Bill

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbb /forum/post/14337530

I'm new to the format. I just bought a Samsung PN58A650 plasma and a Sony playstation 3 to run through a Onkyo 606 receiver. But I have quite a few VHS tapes. Is there a player that I can buy that would upconvert them? Or will the receiver surfice? As I said it is a stupid question - Thanks in advance - Mark

You have a 1080p TV so ALL signals will be upconverted to 1080p by the TV, you don't need to upconvert before the signal goes to the TV.

The only value in having a device that upconverts before the signal gets to the TV is if the scaler in the device is better than the one in the TV. Some DVD players do a better upconversion job than the TV but in general it does not matter where the upconversion is done.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
This is coming from a guy that has hundreds of VHS video tapes, maybe thousands. I have every episode of every Star Trek on VHS.

However once I grabbed a commercial VHS movie and started playing it on my 65" HDTV my wife said, "Can we rent the DVD instead of watching this?" It was that bad. You don't realize how low quality VHS is until you see it on a 65" HDTV.

I just hope I don't ever feel that way about my DVDs. In fact I was one of the first to get Bly-ray because I didn't want to continue collecting an inferior format.

Rick R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts