AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*edit* There was formerly a link here to what most people here believe is a garbage projector and I am now inclined to agree, however it did get the ball rolling and now this thread has become a pretty good crash course in currently available inexpensive projector technology for neophytes,

Pete

·
Registered
794 Posts
Please do not waste your money on one of these garbage projectors. They are the same tech as this, for $175:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V06B-LED-LCD-Projector-1080P-Home-Theater-HDMI-WII-PS3-/150668087814?_trksid=p4340.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D7%26meid%3D635533226132681761%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D1015%26rk%3D3%26

And that one is overpriced as well. These "projectors" use a single, large LCD panel and are more akin to projectors you make yourself, than anything even remotely suited for HT. Do a search on YouTube for DIY LED projectors and you'll see basically what you will be getting for your $500.

Rob

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I may have caused misunderstanding. I don't blame you at all!

it's easy to be confused by these new chinese projectors It seem there is a new paradigm. These seem to be something new and different because they are using HIGH RESOLUTION LCD and HIGH POWERED LEDS. The projector that you linked to only has a low resolution of 640 x 480, and use crappy up-scaling, The projectors I linked to are NOT those. These are entirely different than the ones I linked to. In fact they have just sprouted up. They do share the single LCD design, but differ thereafter. I have seen the high powered LEDs on the upscaled low-res projectors. These are not those

I've seen those low res units like the ones you refer and allude to (and many more like them) around a long time. This one (and the others I linked to) are in fact the first single LCD, LED NATIVE HIGH RES projectors I have seen that have a native resolution of 1024 x 768 and a very,very powerful LED.

Please do not think I am not listening to your great advice here. I am thinking the the 3 LCD projector that I currently have (NEC VT580) with it's 3 lcd's is would potentially be a disadvantage to a single LCD design if done properly. (in fact the blue panel on these 3 LCD designs tends to change value over time. I am guessing that the decreased heat of the new LED lamps is possibly making a single LCD design possible and viable?

Perhaps you did not understand thatt these units I am referring to are NOT using the old up scaled low resolution units, but begin with NATIVE resolution LCD panel of 1024 X 768,. (native 720 obviously) and now use very high powered LED lamps. I would be honored if some of you would look into this a bit closer. It may be benificial to all of us.

As all of you all know, new tech sometimes has a way of sneaking in through the back door of inexpensive Chinese products, and I believe THESE ARE ENTIRELY NEW TO THE MARKET that this just might be one of those times a detailed analysis would be prudent.

I have built one of the DIY units you refer to in the past using a very high res LCD panel, and other than the bulk and positioning issues and huge high wattage lamp the performance was superior to all but the very highest end projectors of a few years ago, and in fact is still in service in a large sports bar in my area. If the Chinese have managed to make single LCD / High output LED units *small* it would be great. If anyone could tell me the technical reasons why a single lcd panel as opposed to 3 lcd design would be inadequate if properly lighted and designed, I would be very appreciative. I am curious os inherent design benefits of 3 LCD panels over a single lcd panel. I was of the impression that the 3 panel was some sort of technical workaround and in fact was not a great idea. Thanks for your time! These seem to be the days when it is no longer true that "You get what you pay for" but it is certainly true that "You get what you research"

Thanks Pete

For clarity I'll link to to it again:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=dbb233065ab1a040519e1597cbc0fff9&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avsforum.com%2Ft%2F1420386%2Fplease-help-me-find-the-scat-smelling-lining-in-this-silver-cloud&v=1&libid=1342402778061&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avsforum.com%2Fforums%2Fposts%2Fadd%2FthreadId%2F1420399&title=Ok%20I've%20settled%20on%20this%20one%2C%20seems%20like%20incredible%20specs%20around%20%24500%20or%20less%20shipped&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.viglink.com%2Fapi%2Fclick%3Fformat%3Dgo%26amp%3Bkey%3Ddbb233065ab1a040519e1597cbc0fff9%26amp%3Bloc%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.avsforum.com%252Ft...&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13424028864563&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FBuilt-in-speaker-2-HDMI-3500lumens-1080P-720P-HD-led-home-video-Projector-Beamer-%2F271002551016%3Fpt%3DUS_Video_Projectors%26hash%3Ditem3f1902c2e8%23ht_8278wt_983

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

it's safe to say that if there was this new magical projector out there that was dirt cheap, it would be well known and discussed here...

i learned something a LONG time ago... it starts with "if it sounds too good to be true..."...

your money... your decision...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj  /t/1420399/ok-ive-settled-on-this-o...pecs-around-500-or-less-shipped#post_22221957

^^^

it's safe to say that if there was this new magical projector out there that was dirt cheap, it would be well known and discussed here...

i learned something a LONG time ago... it starts with "if it sounds too good to be true..."...

your money... your decision...

Good Lord, It is being discussed here! You and I have started the discussion. It's new and I am pointing it out..

And I haven't spent the money quite yet. (-

FWIW, I am sort of one of of the pioneers of PC digital audio recording, got the t-shirt the cover of the mag yada yada Trust me when I say that I am very well aware that anything new is first scorned then vetted, then adopted. I am also very very accustomed to , I have written for all of the major tech mags. Being the first person to spot new technology is not new . It's how I make my living. I would like to see a discussion started here. I am pointing to this projector and I am saying. This could be the "Magical Low cost projector" Let's Vette it !

Not to put too fine a point on it here, but the fact that I am pointing to it well........ (I know I'm new to video but not to the pro audio world (-: )

Pete Leoni

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

ok, live it up...

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've seen a single LCD panel projector in person. It's probably more like a 40:1 contrast ratio, not a 4000:1.

The focus uniformity looks pretty bad in the pictures posted in that ad, so that'd be the first clue you're "getting what you're paying for."

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope not pushing "buy", not yet. Like to hear more here.

Lets see if there are some serious reasons postulated why a single LCD/LED projector can't be an improvement. I may be able to get one of those units to test as well. Would love to hear from some of the "scientist" types here , tired of being the G-pig all the time. (-: Would anyone here care to elucidate me as to the advantages/disadvantages of 3 LCD over single LCD provided a high lumen low heat light source is provided???? Audio? Well I still have a Thorens turntable AND Apogee converters. (-: I am just very curious about this.

Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13  /t/1420399/ok-ive-settled-on-this-o...pecs-around-500-or-less-shipped#post_22222044

I've seen a single LCD panel projector in person. It's probably more like a 40:1 contrast ratio, not a 4000:1.

The focus uniformity looks pretty bad in the pictures posted in that ad, so that'd be the first clue you're "getting what you're paying for."

Yeah, hard to tell from pics, but a clue anyway. If I can get a sample it would be nice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, that one say 800 lums and looks different too.

·
Registered
499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteleoni  /t/1420399/ok-ive-settled-on-this-o...pecs-around-500-or-less-shipped#post_22222103

Ok. OEM say this is the source of these units and that these specs are relevant. Please note and push specs tab. Anything look suspicious?
http://www.vivibright.com/en/productshow_43_27.html

The only thing suspicious is that you have start 2 threads pointing to this same projector on eBay. Seems like your really pushing this projector beyond just someone looking for advice.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

Quote:
f 1024 X 768,. (native 720 obviously)

sorry this is not 720p(1280x720) or hd at all,in fact its not widescreen but 4.3 ratio

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks like a white van item. You see these a lot with speakers pretending to be high dollar with lots of bells & whistles, like Kirsch or Divinci to name a couple.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Simple, if it's not a major brand name in projectors, don't buy it. Period.

There are zero exceptions to that rule unless you just want to play the fool.

Look to a refurbished or used 1080p projector or a new 720p one on sale and you can still get a nice projector for $400 to $600.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hell no!!!!!! I'm not pushing anything!

Anyone that knows anything about me knows I am always looking for great inexpensive gadgets to point out and enjoy fighting the big guys. I don't sell and those that do don't like me much. I never ever cut anyone slack when I did gear reviews for MIx etc., F'em, I believe in unrestrained unfettered capitalism amd across all borders, he who sell the best product at the cheapest price wins! I am probably one of the main guys who made damn sure Apple has generic PC competition in the audio industry and I'm the guy who busted Intel for under-clocking the original Celeron 300a. (-: In fact I have linked to a few different projectors, that one in particular look intriguing. A few different sellers are selling it. I have never sold anything on Ebay or retailed anything, and i never hide my real name. BTW isn't any native 1024 x 768 going to do 16 x 9? A bunch of those on Ebay are now doing 1024 X 768 native.

Major brands? Major brands are usually made in China and snuck out the back door with the same guts with another name. I would not be supposed if some of these aren't what we will see soon re-badged as names we know.There hasn't been anything such as a major brand in electronics in many years. The though of me giving a crap about sales or money in general is weird. Ask any of my ex wives (-:

No shill here, I could give a crap. I do enjoy finding hidden gems though. I have also been looking at a used DELL 1510x. Saw one doing wedding photos BRIGHTLY and clearly at a gig I played and was very surprised at the clarity and color for a so called DLP office projector. If anyone has one of those for sale hit me up. I am also open to answering anyone's pro audio questions, converters mics etc.Glad to be here I am now an official video nut, and I plan on doing the same work I did in the audio industry, finding the good stuff and writing about it. I still think they are sneaking something in on us on regarding these projectors on ebay. There are a bunch of them that just popped up in the last few weeks.

Pete

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat  /t/1420399/ok-ive-settled-on-this-o...pecs-around-500-or-less-shipped#post_22222149

Quote:
f 1024 X 768,. (native 720 obviously)
sorry this is not 720p(1280x720) or hd at all,in fact its not widescreen but 4.3 ratio

My current NEC VT580 1024 x 768 certainly does do 720p well. Perhaps I should have said that 1024 x 768 certainly is high definition. With that in mind, I consider native res of 1024 x 768 or better to be my starting point. Clearly this is well covered in this forum, sorry for repeating it. Love your screen name, damn right. A rib-eye would hit the spot!!!

Reactions: eat meat

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc  /t/1420399/ok-ive-settled-on-this-o...pecs-around-500-or-less-shipped#post_22222125

The only thing suspicious is that you have start 2 threads pointing to this same projector on eBay. Seems like your really pushing this projector beyond just someone looking for advice.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Don't be silly, we are here to find good cheap projectors, as per forum heading. I'm looking for info, as much good info as I can cram in my head, as fast as I can cram it. That one along with a bunch of others like it have creeped onto fleabay very recently. I've seen a lot od stuff start that way. This one is just a good example. No one yet has really bothered to look deeply at the specs. I have no idea who this company is, but I am guessing they are the OEM for one of the big names. If we could find this out, we could bypass the middleman perhaps. I notice that they are doing both 3 lcd and single LCD led models. One of the ebay guys dropped this name in a question I asked, then quickly erased the answer. Do any of these Chinese cheapies look familiar to anyone?

http://www.vivibright.com/en/

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope this isn't the "projectors under $3000 without stepping on somebodies toes forum", because if I find something great out there dirt cheap *anywhere* I'm going to post it in hopes all of you will help me vet it. As I mentioned I don't much believe in the "You get what you pay for" "Major brands only" "Can't trust anything made in country x" bullcrap. Sony broke me of that. The name Sony used to mean something at least mediocre, not necessarily now. I do trust Samsung however.The best 46" TV I found was a "Dynex" brand at Best Buy. Now I don't need it because I can't bear to watch anything smaller than 120" BTW LOVE this tuner, beats the crap out of more expensive sticks. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260023

1 - 20 of 71 Posts