AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The list so far, with hyperlinks if a website exists, major manufacturers are in bold:

Angstrom
Athena (API)
Axiom (Internet-direct)
Coincident Speaker Technology (mid- to high-end)
Dahlquist
Energy (API)
Fidelity Acoustics
Fluance (entry-level Internet-direct)
Focus Audio (mid- to high-end)
Gershman Acoustics (high-end)
Mirage (API)
Morrison (high-end 2-channel)
Newform Research (high-end ribbon electrostats, Internet-direct)
PSB
Paradigm

Quest (super-cheap speakers available at "big box" retailers here)
REEL Acoustics (home theatre only)
Reference 3A (high-end 2-channel)
StudioLAB (mid- to high-end)
Tetra Speakers
Totem Acoustic (mid- to high-end)
Verity Audio (high-end)

Did I miss any?

Electronics:

Anthem (Paradigm Group) (mid- to high-end stereo and multichannel amplifiers, preamps and pre/pros)
Bent Audio (high-end preamps, Internet-direct)
Blue Circle Audio (high-end stereo and multichannel amps and preamps)
Bryston (mid- to high-end stereo and multichannel amps and preamps, integrated amps, pre/pro)
Classé (high-end stereo and multichannel amps, preamps, integrated amps, pre/pros)
EMM Labs (high-end DACs, SACD transports, preamps)
Linar Audio (high-end amps and preamps, stereo and multichannel)
Magnum Dynalab (high-end FM tuners)
Morrison (high-end CD player preamp)
NAD Electronics (CD/DVD players, pre/pros, receivers, amps, integrated amps, preamps)
Oracle Audio (high-end turntables and CD players)
Rix Rax (high-end component racks)
Simaudio (high-end stereo preamps, amps, integrated amps, CD players/transports, DVD players/transports, pre/pros, multichannel amps)
Tenor Audio (high-end tube and hybrid 2-channel amps)
Virtual Dynamics (mid- to high-end cables)
Wytech Labs (high-end stereo tube amps)

The reason I'm asking this is that these speakers and electronics have significant cost advantages where I live, so choosing from these manufacturers here can lead to some significant savings.

EDIT: Updated and corrected as more suggestions come in.

02/09/05: Added NAD Electronics. Originally thought they were British, but no, their address is 633 Granite Court, Pickering, ON. Their most recent equipment states "engineered and designed in Canada".:) Built in China though.

·
Registered
642 Posts
API (Audio Products Int) is the company that owns Energy, Mirage and Athena. PMC (Professional Monitor Company) is actually British, but Bryston distributes them in Canada. Yeah, we definitely get an advantage by buying Canadian made speakers here. There's so much good product here you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by craigsub
TOTEM...
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/images/smilies/doh2.gif

See, I never even thought of them! Don't know much about them really, apart from them being fairly expensive but quite well-regarded.

That's good info about PMC, mikeyc, thanks. Not that they're on my list or anything. Buying 7 of them for a surround-sound setup would be insanely expensive!:eek:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by craigsub
AV123 announced they are opening an office in Ottawa soon...
:eek: Crazy stuff!

That will make getting Rockets in Canada a whole lot easier...

And thanks Seth, I should have searched first but I'm not sure what search terms would have zeroed in on what I was looking for.

·
Registered
174 Posts
what other countries make speakers and if so which speakers? I know Sony is Japanese and Bang and Olufsen is Swedish. Bose is american Yamaha is Japanese. And thats pretty much it off the top of my head.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally posted by arya202
what other countries make speakers and if so which speakers? I know Sony is Japanese and Bang and Olufsen is Swedish. Bose is american Yamaha is Japanese. And thats pretty much it off the top of my head.
Canton = German I believe.

I heard one of their "LE" speakers once. Nice mellow sound. The Energy speakers sounded very aggressive by comparison.

BTW I ended up getting the Energys and absolutely love them, so that's where my tastes lie I guess.;)

There are LOTS of other speaker companies out there, probably hundreds. I think Italy has several high-end speaker companies.

There's also B&W (British) and Klipsch (American) but if we listed all speaker companies by their country of origin we'd probably eat up all of AVS Forum's storage space.:D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Reel?

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tex-amp
Reel?
Do you mean Legacy? They were once called Reel to Real or some such. Made in the USA.

Here's another: Dynaudio - made in Denmark.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fraoch

In terms of electronics, it's only Anthem (Paradigm Group) and Bryston, yes?

Blue Circle Audio, Simaudio and Classe are also Canadian manufacturer's of amps, etc.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonygeno
Do you mean Legacy? They were once called Reel to Real or some such. Made in the USA.

Reel Acoustics Canadian

·
Registered
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fraoch
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/images/smilies/doh2.gif

See, I never even thought of them! Don't know much about them really, apart from them being fairly expensive but quite well-regarded.

That's good info about PMC, mikeyc, thanks. Not that they're on my list or anything. Buying 7 of them for a surround-sound setup would be insanely expensive!:eek:
ya gotta check out the Totems, made in Quebec, beautiful finish, very musical speakers. Some of the Totems also use drivers from Dynaudio which is the highly regarded Danish firm. Confusing eh?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally posted by F355
Fraoch,

i think Tannoy is british.
You're right - on the link Seth provided it stated Tannoy was British but their North American distributor was Canadian, so a little bit of confusion there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nuance is Canadian, I believe. I've heard some shaky things about them, mind you...

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Energy, Mirage and Athena are all brands under the API umbrella. A Canadian company.

I believe Energy and Mirage are made in Canada but Athena speakers are made overseas. Hence the lower price points.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.