AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all love screen shots, but if you think about it you really need nice tight convergence lines. Why dont we see actual screen line shots with a tape/scale to show how fine our lines really are? On a 7' screen for example what would be good 1/4" 3/16", What would be great? 1/8" or maybe??? I'd really like to see some lines. The tighter the line the better the picture. Right??

Steve

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Actually it more comes down to the raster scanning lines than anything else, and especially if they are visible in the corners.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
No, but that's OK..

I understand what you're saying though, but I was talking about the visibility of scanning lines on the screen. If everything focu-wise is tweaked to the nth degree, then the scanning lines should be perfectly visible at close range on the screen and that makes for perfect focusing.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Nope, never measured. Also keep in mind that various projectors use varying thicknesses of test pattern lines, so it's not really a valid measurement.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi there

I cannot see scan lines on my projected image. But test patterns of alternating on/off pixels in the vertical or horizontal directions are visible. I can confirm the resolutions by measuring the lines per inch.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Beerbujit,

I think you are missing the point here.

Since the convergence grid lines you are talking about are generated internally by the projector, the width probably varies greatly from brand to brand. Patterns generated by the projector are probably not a good way to make screenshot comparisons.

What Curt said makes much more sense to me. Thats because raster lines give us some sense of focus because they have to be a standard dimension based on scan rate. The higher the scan rate, the thinner the scan line will be. If you can see individual scan lines at a rate of 1080p (66khz) or higher that means you are focused about as well as anyone else can.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/0

Nope, never measured. Also keep in mind that various projectors use varying thicknesses of test pattern lines, so it's not really a valid measurement.

Not to mention that if I shine my projector on a larger screen, the lines are wider than if I use a smaller screen.

Sorry, measuring is somewhat meaningless...

Kal

·
Registered
18,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal /forum/post/0

Sorry, measuring is somewhat meaningless...

Kal

I Itell that to my g/fs as well...

·
Premium Member
17,319 Posts
There was a thread last year where we did macro shots with single-pixel on/off lines at 1920x1080P and 1920x1200P...
Ok Folks! Show me your dots!
Quote:
I tried to get comparable sections of the pictures side-by-side:

TSE:

MP:

my G90:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, So are you guys saying size doesn't matter
. All I know is every projector that I thought was displaying an awesome picture had CONVERGENCE lines that could almost cut you. I guess it is just coincidence
. I do understand that all projectors internal grids are different but...

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.