AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any idea how SDTV looks like on the sammy HLN's? i have a regular direct tv box and will be getting the hd box later.


if the PQ doesn't look any better than what i currently have - a standard panny crt direct view - then i'll wait till i get the hd box. by then the new sammy's will probably be better & cheaper anyway.


thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
I have a HLN467 and SD looks ok via DirecTV.


If your panny is much smaller, you will notice a difference going to a bigger screen. It took a little bit to get used to SD on my set, but I am fine with it now. DVDs and HD look great on this set though.


I'd go to a nearby HT store and have them show you the DLP with a SD feed. That's what helped me decide on getting the HLN467.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,634 Posts
SD through a Comcast 5100 is very poor. However, by splitting the cable before the box and going directly into the antenna port you can get a better SD picture. At 50" I haven't gotten an SD picture that looks as good as a 25-32" inch tube TV. However, I just saw the Super Bowl in HD on it and it was really great.


Rich N.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,372 Posts
People get frustrated becuase there is no simple answer other than "it depends". There are vast differences in how SD will look depending upon the material and how it gets to your TV.


However, its almost certain that it will look worse on *any* RPTV than on a smaller, direct view TV. So if you need improvement to justify the purchase, don't buy.
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,294 Posts
Don't buy any HD RPTV if you are not going to be watching HDTV. Of course, if you are going to watch a lot of movies on DVD then you might enjoy the set before you have HD available. If you watch nothing but SD TV you will probably not be happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
raidbuck made an EXCELLENT point for cable subscribers. DirecTV subscribers get better SD PQ than cable partly due to DVI connections, avoiding the PQ degradatiion of analog connections. But by using the Antenna inputs, you overcome this issue at least for non-scrambled channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies.


dave, my current panny is 32". at this point, i would be satisified if i got the same PQ since i would at least benefit on the dvd's until i get hd.


my concern grew even worse when i watched the super bowl at a friend's home on his brand new sony crt rptv (i think it was a KP57WS510). he doesn't have hd yet either and it looked less than desireable. mind you, it was not calibrated.


i'm aware that different sources result in different PQ. that's why i specified directtv.


i guess the criteria i need to use is how long will the time be between getting the tv and the hd box. if its 6 mths to a year, might as well wait for prices to come down and technology go up.


btw, i noticed that when i do ask to see sd signals at the stores they always come up with some excuse not to show it. kind of a warning signal to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I believe a lot of the cable companies are enabling DVI inputs in their STBs now. I have DirecTV and have seen a degradation in PQ the past few years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dynot
thanks for the replies.


dave, my current panny is 32". at this point, i would be satisified if i got the same PQ since i would at least benefit on the dvd's until i get hd.


my concern grew even worse when i watched the super bowl at a friend's home on his brand new sony crt rptv (i think it was a KP57WS510). he doesn't have hd yet either and it looked less than desireable. mind you, it was not calibrated.


i'm aware that different sources result in different PQ. that's why i specified directtv.


i guess the criteria i need to use is how long will the time be between getting the tv and the hd box. if its 6 mths to a year, might as well wait for prices to come down and technology go up.


btw, i noticed that when i do ask to see sd signals at the stores they always come up with some excuse not to show it. kind of a warning signal to me.
i think CRT RPTVs are getting close to the bottom in terms of price, I mean the 42inch ones are on the way out. in my opinion if you have $1500 to spend today, waiting 6 months would mean getting a 48-51 instead of a 42-46 today. Not that i discourage you from waiting but life is short...


As far as SDTV quality, well keep in mind you're going to a larger screen which exagerates any deficiencies you might not be seeing today. I'm very happy with my TV using good quality sources, progressive dvd, progressive game cube. Regular cable (analog) is ok, it's watchable (barely). i think the tradeoff is worth it to me. If you're watching a lot of standard television, then maybe a 4:3 tube television is a better choice. I'm watching less SDTV because I don't like the stretch modes (still getting use to it) and the PQ is just not as good as DVD. This has worked out for me since I now only watch good shows, and the TV is on less.


You really need to evaluate your viewing patterns and decide how much SD you will be watching. I thought I was watching a lot of SD, but my viewing patterns changed when i got the tv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I have an HLN507 and find SDTV is good as long as it is in 4:3 mode. I actually prefer the non-glare screen over my Mitsu 27"crt As long as you don't mind the black side bars you will be satisfied. HDTV is incredible!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
DVD looks like film. HD is awesome. SD mostly bad, but not unwatchable. More HD will be available later, later TVs will be better and cheaper. However, you will be missing out on an incredible DVD experience in the meantime and HDTivo is just around the corner on D*.


I bit the bullet and bought mine in Dec. Will never regret it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
Don't buy any HD RPTV if you are not going to be watching HDTV. Of course, if you are going to watch a lot of movies on DVD then you might enjoy the set before you have HD available. If you watch nothing but SD TV you will probably not be happy.
This is not my experience.


I have had a HLN507 for a week now. I have only analog cable. The great majority (>95%) of the TV watching in our house is over the analog cable. I receive 5 or so DTV channels OTA; 2 seem to broadcast occasional HD programming (I watched the SuperBowl OTA in HD yesterday). I have the cable plugged directly into the 507. While it is true that there is noticeable variation in PQ among different stations/programs, we find most are very good. Overall, we are VERY happy with the PQ of the analog cable. In some cases, in fact, the analog cable PQ surpasses OTA SD! Also, DVDs via component input are terrific, and HD, well, it goes without saying.


Prfssr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Rating SD Picture quality from many sources:


Using HD through DVI as a reference = 100


DVD player through DVI = 70


Cable SD program on HD Channel through DVI = 70


Cable SD through DVI = 40


Cable SD through Antenna Input = 40


Cable SD through Component = 30


Cable SD through S-Video = 20


These are subjective of course, meant to indicate the level of difference between different sources.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally posted by arungupta
Rating SD Picture quality from many sources:


Using HD through DVI as a reference = 100


DVD player through DVI = 70


Cable SD program on HD Channel through DVI = 70


Cable SD through DVI = 40


Cable SD through Antenna Input = 40


Cable SD through Component = 30


Cable SD through S-Video = 20


These are subjective of course, meant to indicate the level of difference between different sources.
Thanks, arun. When you refer to cable does this include satellite?


BTW, your guides have been a great help and are very much appreciated by us newbies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
I disagree with most of what has been stated here as "fact".

I have a HLN46w and HDTV with a comcast motorola 5100HD box.


My SD looks very good. At least as good as SD looked on the old 2000 series SD moto box on my 27 inch Sony, that is unless you come right up within a foot or two of the screen.


HDTV looks awesome of course.


I TOTALLY disagree that Directv has a better SD PQ than cable. There are many people on this forum that have found just the opposite, that SD on Drectv looks like crap compared to many cable signals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rodneyremington
I TOTALLY disagree that Directv has a better SD PQ than cable. There are many people on this forum that have found just the opposite, that SD on Drectv looks like crap compared to many cable signals.
The PQ from DirecTV should at least be constant between viewers regardless of location, cable on the other hand can vary wildly.....even from house to house. This is likely the reason why some people feel DirecTV has the better PQ and others feel that cable does......honestly I think both are poor, however DirecTV usually seems better. The difference is obvious when switching between the same show via cable and then satellite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Arun,


Your relative scale is really helpful, but I was wondering whether you would put in your subjective scale for the non-hd metrics for a non-hd crt tv. Anotherwords, when you rate Cable SD through antennae input a 40, how would you rate that picture on a regular crt sd tv?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arungupta
Rating SD Picture quality from many sources:


Using HD through DVI as a reference = 100



Cable SD program on HD Channel through DVI = 70

I'm a little confused here. What's a cable SD program on an HD channel? Is that like a commercial on an HD channel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
"Cable SD through DVI = 40


Cable SD through Antenna Input = 40"


So you are of the opinion that DVI does not help SD at all?


I get my best SD picture by running the cable input directly through my DVD recorder which in turn inputs via components into my TV. I don't have DVI to compare to. But getting the benefits of a component input while avoiding the pitfalls of a cable box I think accounts for this difference
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top