AVS Forum banner

Samsung PN50B550 or Panasonic TCP50G10?

  • Panasonic TCP50G10

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Samsung PN50B550

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be upgrading from a Samsung PN42A450P (42-inch, 720P). I've read reviews on both, and wish I could see them side-by-side, but no local stores have them. It would have to be a blind-buy, using a finance offer via Best Buy.


I'm a big movie fan, with BD and DVDs being the primary thing I watch. Of course, blacks and color accuracy matter.


I've read flattering reviews on both sets. I'm just curious if the $300 price difference (Panasonic is more) is justified.


So, just take a shot at the poll and leave your thoughts! It's much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
I faced the exact same choice, and I went with the G10. Panasonic has slightly better reliability, better customer service, and some great reviews. What clinched it for me was seeing Blu-ray on the S1 (same panel) at BB.


That being said, my sister has a Samsung 5-series from 2008, and it looks fantastic. Consumer Reports likes the Samsungs as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
B650, unless you always watch in a dark room. If your room gets much ambient light the B650 will be better. Some really good prices right now and 0% for 3yrs from that blue and yellow retailer.


If you like the '08 Sammy plasmas, you'll love the '09 models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I had it narrowed down to the exact same TVs last week. Ended up going with the g10 and haven't regretted it. Looks great and has more choices as far as inputs go. If I was getting lcd i'd have went with Samsung in a heartbeat, but Pansonics are IMO the best plasmas now that Pioneer is out of the game.


Elitimus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Are you going to be using this tv in a room with more ambient light? I would then personally lead towards the samsung. It may not handle direct light glare as well as the panny, but myself and others have given Samsung the nod in lit rooms. On the flip side, for dark cinema rooms, panny may be your best bet.


Also panasonics definately handled motion slightly better, and dont seem to have a laundry list of defects commonly associated with them.


So yeah, im in a similar boat as you. Come labor day weekend I will be buying either a 50g10 or a 50B650. But do I want a Panny with less IR and better motion resolution, or a PQ that i prefer (have always loved Samsung's vibrant colors and sharper images to my eyes). Time and deals will tell
happy hunting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleh19 /forum/post/17033692


Are you going to be using this tv in a room with more ambient light? I would then personally lead towards the samsung. It may not handle direct light glare as well as the panny, but myself and others have given Samsung the nod in lit rooms. On the flip side, for dark cinema rooms, panny may be your best bet.


Also panasonics definately handled motion slightly better, and dont seem to have a laundry list of defects commonly associated with them.


So yeah, im in a similar boat as you. Come labor day weekend I will be buying either a 50g10 or a 50B650. But do I want a Panny with less IR and better motion resolution, or a PQ that i prefer (have always loved Samsung's vibrant colors and sharper images to my eyes). Time and deals will tell
happy hunting

There's some light in the room, but I'm purchasing some curtains soon to eliminate most of that. Plus, since I work evenings/nights and come home around midnight or 1 a.m., I usually do my movie watching in pitch darkness anyway.


The only thing that really, really intrigues me about the Panasonic is the THX mode. I wish I could see this TV in-person, so I can check it out. But the Samsung is $300 cheaper, and I know I've liked Samsung products in the past. My dad, just today, bought a 6000 series LED. Went over for a bit and it's quite nice after I calibrated it for him. Just needs to be broken in.


So, this boat continues to float... Haha. Thanks for your response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
I personally think THX is overrated. A lot of people, reviewers, and myself included, find THX to be too dim. Apparently this setting also introduces some color accuracy issues if I'm remembering the latest reviews correctly. The Samsung is so good out of the box, and so easy to improve with slight adjustments that IMO it outweighs the THX setting.


Of course everyone sees things a little different, but I find the '08 and '09 Sammy plasmas to be sharper than the comparable Pannys. Many recent reviews have shared this opinion on the '09 models.


Also,iIf you like USB connectivity and a swivel stand, the Sammy is a great choice


Can't really go wrong with either.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleh19 /forum/post/17033692


Are you going to be using this tv in a room with more ambient light? I would then personally lead towards the samsung. It may not handle direct light glare as well as the panny, but myself and others have given Samsung the nod in lit rooms. On the flip side, for dark cinema rooms, panny may be your best bet.

The OP asked about the B550, not the B650. The filter on the B550 is no better than the Panasonic, and in fact is more reflective, so many would argue it is worse. It needs to be made clear that only when you step up to the 6 series filters with Ultra Filterbright does the Samsung gain an advantage over the Panasonic in bright room viewing. Samsung has no advantage on the B450/550/560 series.


I don't know how many times I have had to repeat this.

Quote:
Also panasonics definately handled motion slightly better, and dont seem to have a laundry list of defects commonly associated with them.

This is not always true. Sometimes I have seen the lower end B450/B550 Samsungs handle motion smoother than the comparable Panasonics, and in other instances I prefered the Panasonic, when I saw a ticker scolling for instance. I don't know if one always had a clear advantage over the other.


Anyway, the proper comparison is the B650 against the G10, not the B550. The B650 can be had just as cheap as the G10. The B550 should be cheaper and closer in price to the S1. I would not recommend getting the B550. Get at least the B560 and preferably the B650.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,466 Posts
Just got back from the local TV store and viewed the new V10 next to a 550 and what surprised me the most though is that while the black levels were better on the V10, the shadow detial was just horendous. I watched a scene from Sweeney Todd on both sets and all of the detials in the buildings during a dark alley shot were completely absent on the V10. And nothing I did to the brightness and contrast, or picture mode settings did anything to correct it. On the other hand, the shadow detail on the Sammy was very good, but the ultimate black level was closer to a very dark grey. I would take the Sammy based on what I saw.


Edit: I just read that there are two black level settings on the Panny's and one of them crushes shadow detail. My bad. Guess I'll have to go take another look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Something was wrong with the settings or feed than. The Panasonic plasmas have excellent shadow detail due to their lower than average gamma, while the Samsung plasmas slightly crush shadow detail due to their higher than average gamma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /forum/post/17036058


Something was wrong with the settings or feed than. The Panasonic plasmas have excellent shadow detail due to their lower than average gamma, while the Samsung plasmas slightly crush shadow detail due to their higher than average gamma.

I just read that there are two black level settings on the Panny's and one of them crushes shadow detail. My bad. Guess I'll have to go take another look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Personally i think it comes down to price. And what you see at store is extremely dependant on the settings as well as ambient light and signal source.


someone who knows how to adjust the set, can produce an image in one that will match the other plus some.


However the current sammies are a big improvement over their immediate predessors. As to whether or how much this is an improvement in the electro-mechanical area, or simply that the various "settings" now used are superior to the old standard/movie settings, I do not know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/17036027


Just got back from the local TV store and viewed the new V10 next to a 550 and what surprised me the most though is that while the black levels were better on the V10, the shadow detial was just horendous. I watched a scene from Sweeney Todd on both sets and all of the detials in the buildings during a dark alley shot were completely absent on the V10. And nothing I did to the brightness and contrast, or picture mode settings did anything to correct it. On the other hand, the shadow detail on the Sammy was very good, but the ultimate black level was closer to a very dark grey. I would take the Sammy based on what I saw.


Edit: I just read that there are two black level settings on the Panny's and one of them crushes shadow detail. My bad. Guess I'll have to go take another look.

Stores are the less reliable place to compare tv sets simply cause the seller can do whatever hi wants with tvs, you can make a panny X1 looks better than a kuro with some adjustments on both tvs, they might even tweak the sets that give then more profit to look better, that way when you to the store you get that set.


Owners reviews and forums like this are the best you can get to check before buying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon_say /forum/post/17039003


Stores are the less reliable place to compare tv sets simply cause the seller can do whatever hi wants with tvs, you can make a panny X1 looks better than a kuro with some adjustments on both tvs, they might even tweak the sets that give then more profit to look better, that way when you to the store you get that set.


Owners reviews and forums like this are the best you can get to check before buying.

I went back to the store after work and switched the Panny from the "dark" to "light" black level setting and bingo, the shadow detail was all there. And you're right, you can get the sets pretty close to one another by tweaking the user settings, though some things like ultimate black level and color were still different between the two. That's where ISF cal comes in though. The truth is, the Panny, the Sammy and the Kuro are all great sets and the differences between them would be considered minor by most. Pick your flavor at your price point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
This one is close, but I will take the B550 if I had to choose. I think the advantages are much better color accuracy, more accurate grayscale, cleaner video processing, and a front filter that preserves blacks a little bit better than the Panasonic when there is ambient light in the room. Disadvantages would be slightly more reflections, more prone to IR, and slightly lower MLL.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top