T

H-42PHD5UY - Industrial model

PT-42PHD4-P - Retail package

do these have the same exact monitor? just different packaging

:confused:

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Same panel and electronics, but I believe the retail version has RCA connectors instead of BNC connectors for the industrial model. The retail package also includes a table stand, which is not included with the industrial model.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first off i'd like to thank the forum for the patience they have with my questions, but here are some more :D first let me tell you what my breakdown is..

70 percent satellite

30 percent DVD watching.

now as for the sat receiver , i'ts not a HDTV one as of now so my channel will have a weaker resolution correct? I do plan on upgrading my receiver to a hdtv one and getting the hdtv stations from Directv , as of now i think there are only 4 station that broadcast in HD. Now for the questions..

If i get the HD model will my satellite broadcast now suffer in terms of PQ compared to the non HD model.. what I mean is if you have both of the Panny plasmas hanging on the wall and both are getting the same signal of the same receiver and the signal is NOT HD will i be able to tell the difference in PQ? What I'm worried about is that if I buy the NON hd screen and in the near future the HD broadcast start becoming more present will i be sorry that i didn't buy it? Will i even be able to tell? i just don't want to make a mistake of buying the non HD and paying for it in terms of PQ later when the HD channels are there, or buying the HD unit and paying for it now because they are not here ? I have tried to go to about 5 stores now and NON of them have the HD model that i can look at. most reviews on line are of the NON hd model and they also are with dvd sources not weak cable or satellite so I need all the help I could get :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
jj,

I assume that you must have seen the write up over on *******************.com that discusses the differences between the SD and HD models. If not, go take a look.

Understand your dilemma - it's tough to find these models side by side anywhere. Here's a suggestion on how to decide:

- Make up your mind on SD material shown on an HD res panel. Go find somebody who has any manufacturer's HD model in stock (any unit with 1024 x768 resolution). I think even the Sony unit would be OK in this case (1024 x 1024) and easiest to find. Since most of these panels are displaying D* HD material, ask the retailer to flip to a non-HD channel. Does it look OK to you? Does it look any different from the CRT monitors in the store? This will answer your question about whether or not the HD panel will be a problem on sat material. In my own case, using the panny HD panel with D* on a Samsung TS160 receiver - SD material looks exactly the same as it did on the CRT television that the panny replaced. I think you see a lot of negative commentary on the quality of sat SD material on HD panels - but some of that comes from how GOOD the HD stuff looks and some of that comes from the other variables such as quality of your sat receiver, reception, etc. Do you get good sat reception today?

- Make up you mind about HD material on the SD panel. As above, if you have dealers who have the SD panel and who also carry somebody else's HD models - take a look at HD material on both. Make sure that you're at your normal viewing distance. Since you're mostly concerned about resolution, pay attention to the clarity, sharpness of the picture rather than color depth, etc. See any real difference? Is it worth $1,000+ to you? In my case, I saw some difference, but in all honesty the SD unit was plenty good enough on both DVD and HD material. I ended up with the HD because local dealer gave me a better break on it than the SD unit and because I always worry that I'll miss something revolutionary in the future. There is no rational reason for this kind of thinking - but in this case I could afford to humor myself.

Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yah i'm going to wait till i see a panny hd screen in person. then ill figure out what I should go with.. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.