AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've finally decided on picking up the Panasonic TH50PX80U, from a PC Richard's near me for $800. I really wanted the TH50PZ80U, but that's $500 more...and don't really see the point in spending $500 more extra resolution. Besides, I've seen the PX80U in person and it looks amazing D:

Anyway, I've never owned a plasma (or any HDTV for that matter) before, and was wondering what to do with it when I get home? I'm planning on picking it up on Monday..but what do I do when I set it up on my TV stand? Do I change the settings to "break it in" (I kinda know what this is)? Do I not play Call of Duty on my 360 for a while because it has static HUD's?

Help me D:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/15582107

.. good info here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=13569687 (check down post for break-in info);

probably would hold off till ~300hrs before any heavy COD playing.

Thanks, will check out the thread.

And are you really serious about the COD bit? I play CoD about 2-3 hours a day...does that mean I can't touch it until I hit 300 hours on the plasma?

What would be the point of getting a plasma then if I want it for gaming

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
The other school of thought says "Don't worry about it!". I just picked up my second plasma (Costco's 50PX80) and just like my first one (3 years old now) I am not treating it with any special care. The thing is really mostly used for my Xbox 360 and my Xbox running XBMC.

Turn the Contrast down to something reasonable in the 70's or so, and then enjoy the panel. Break-in is for suckers.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sail0r /forum/post/15582183

Thanks, will check out the thread.

And are you really serious about the COD bit? I play CoD about 2-3 hours a day...does that mean I can't touch it until I hit 300 hours on the plasma?

What would be the point of getting a plasma then if I want it for gaming

.. note "heavy"; play as you want, but you will probably have IR from the HUD's you mentioned. Alittle moderation & then, knock yourself out. Or do whatever you want, its your new set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/15582549

.. note "heavy"; play as you want, but you will probably have IR from the HUD's you mentioned. Alittle moderation & then, knock yourself out. Or do whatever you want, its your new set.

Heh, I don't want it to be my last set though
I want a plasma, but would like it to actually last me a couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/15582228

The other school of thought says "Don't worry about it!". I just picked up my second plasma (Costco's 50PX80) and just like my first one (3 years old now) I am not treating it with any special care. The thing is really mostly used for my Xbox 360 and my Xbox running XBMC.

Turn the Contrast down to something reasonable in the 70's or so, and then enjoy the panel. Break-in is for suckers.

Wouldn't that ruin my plasma though? Like destroy it with burn in?

And I heard burn-in makes your plasma look better near the end :0

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heh, I've never figured a plasma would be so much work to maintain...while if you buy an LCD you just turn it on and not have to worry about a thing. If they weren't so expensive I'd be getting an LCD instead.

But do any of you guys use that "break in dvd" found somewhere on the forum? How does that work (like do you keep the TV on, use an HDDVD player? or can you keep the TV off...and use a normal dvd player)

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I know how crazy this will sound but.....what did you do with the last tv you bought? I highly suggest doing the same with your new plasma.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/15583153

I know how crazy this will sound but.....what did you do with the last tv you bought? I highly suggest doing the same with your new plasma.

The last/current TV I bought was just a CRT 32", and not knowing much or caring about TV's back then I did nothing special with it...all I did was watch and play games on it

But now that I'm actually getting a plasma, I'm a bit worried about IR/burn in.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"The last/current TV I bought was just a CRT 32""

...and that was based on phosphors. Just like a plasma...

It really is silly every time I hear someone freak out about "OMG teh burn-ins!!1", after these same people have been around CRTs for their entire lives. Really, plasma is the exact same technology, with the only real difference being that the electrons that excite the phosphors are coming from a different direction.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sail0r /forum/post/15583179

The last/current TV I bought was just a CRT 32", and not knowing much or caring about TV's back then I did nothing special with it...all I did was watch and play games on it

But now that I'm actually getting a plasma, I'm a bit worried about IR/burn in.

Common sense and stretching the image for the first few weeks are all you need. Just enjoy it...LIKE A TV!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/15583259

"The last/current TV I bought was just a CRT 32""

...and that was based on phosphors. Just like a plasma...

It really is silly every time I hear someone freak out about "OMG teh burn-ins!!1", after these same people have been around CRTs for their entire lives. Really, plasma is the exact same technology, with the only real difference being that the electrons that excite the phosphors are coming from a different direction.

I didn't know they were the same technology....but I never knew people didn't do anything to their plasmas...they just enjoyed them and let them be.

I thought this forum was full of people who took special extra care of their plasmas and would advise me to do the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I don't really have anything to worry about? Just get the plasma and take it easy in the beginning with my 360..and enjoy it?

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"So I don't really have anything to worry about?"

Let's take some extreme examples from my personal plasma use. My one week old PX80 has Contrast sitting at the point that it is bright enough for normal use, but dim enough to not hurt my eyes while watching movies. I think it's sitting at 68 or so at the moment. Over the last week I have also been re-softmodding my Xbox's with newer versions of the softmods and newer versions of XBMC. I also grabbed an AppleTV to put XBMC on. All of this means a lot of the TV sitting on a static image for significant periods of time as all this stuff installs. Really, I have spent more time staring at static images on this display than I have actually using it for video and gaming, so far.
In other words, I'm beating the hell out of this thing, in a reasonable fashion. My last plasma was also treated in a very similar fashion, with my extremely common use of XBMC to playback music and whatnot. That usually entailed an hour or two of sitting at a static menu screen as my album of choice played. Neither display has shown the slightest hint of uneven phosphor wear, and nothing more than the regular split-second image retention that you will come across on any plasma or CRT, no matter how careful you are with it.

Let's go back to CRT's for a second. How many years did we all stare at a 15-17" CRT with the Windows taskbar on the bottom, and some sort of menu bar along the top? How common was burn-in on those phosphor based displays again? Yeah, you found it commonly at public locations that didn't run screen savers but had the displays on 24/7, just like you found ticker bars burned in to public plasmas that had static advertisements running 24/7. These were always "never find that kind of abuse in the home" type of situations though. Burn-in in the home is exceptionally rare, and is universally the result of the user abusing the hell out of their display by leaving some non-screensaver/non-dimming device hooked up to it for vast periods of time. Yeah, leave a static DVD title menu on your display, then fly to France for a week, and you're sure to have damaged your display.

As a whole, people "breaking-in" their plasma displays are doing more harm to their panels than good. At best they are wasting the first X amount of hours of enjoyable use that they will get out of the panel.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Burn-In is pretty rare these days, you'd really have to try hard to abuse your Plasma to get that, IR Image Retention is easier to get, but becomes less of a problem after putting 100-200 Hours on the Plasma.

Gaming on it right away is fine, but you need to limit yourself some. No 3-4 hours of COD for example. A couple hours is enough right now. If you can play games without any type of Static HUD, great, you can play them for Hours and be fine as it's just like watching a TV program. It is best to mix it up a bit. Do some gaming, then watch some TV or DVD or something. Try to keep it all full screen for the first 100-200 hours also if you can. If your Careful now, you have a long Life and great picture for years to come. Go ahead and play COD for a couple hours and then go play a different game. Mix things up is really the #1 rule on a new Plasma. I game on my 50" 1080P Panasonic all the time. No IR at all!!! Go and Enjoy your new Plasma!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts