AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mind u, i may not be putting this in the right forum, but i'll ask anyways(im new, sorry)..I'm in the market for a TV, well HDTV. But, the plasma screens are looking pretty sharp as well as semi-affordable. But im under the impression if u buy 1 at 3.5k, ur going to have to spend another 1k to enjoy it,soooo...My question for u guys is, what would u do, buy a plasma for 4k, or buy a 55-65" widescreen TV thats HDTV ready for the same price. What will be the more lasting purchase, or shall we say, what would be the overall "smart" buy???

Does any1 have a plasma screen, or a friend?

and the guys w/ the 50" and over, is it worth the doe for that size of a TV?

and buy the way, many of u guys said hitachi is a real good brand, but every time I look at a sony picture quality, it just always seems so clear, and the colors stand out?

sorry for the long thread, just need some advice....

·
Registered
761 Posts
contrary to the popular saying,... SIZE MATTERS:D Go take a look for yourself at several TVs both plasma and or RPTV and then go take a look at a good projection setup,... then come back to this forum with your new questions :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have a 5 yr old Sharp projector currently worth $500- $750 and a fairly new 42" Sony Wega that cost over $3k. Guess where we watch movies? On the 120" screen with the Sharp. IMHO. if you have the room and 4k to spend, you are absolutely nuts not to get a PJ. Plasma and RPTV just cannot match the picture quality of a similarly priced projector, AND you can get a giant picture with a PJ.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Hmmm...given your price range I'd say that the plasma to look at is the Panasonic TH-42PWD5UY that's around $3600. Check the plasma forums for good sources.

The RPTVs for the same price will be larger but they are monstrously large units. While you could conceivably move a 42" plasma to the bedroom I think most folks don't have the space for a larger RPTV anywhere but their main viewing area. Plus you will lose a good couple of feet off that wall with the RPTV sitting there. Plasmas also seem to have a high Wife Acceptance Factor (other than price) over RPTVs.

For the same $3600 you could get a projector with a 96" width screen (106" diameter). AVS is running an amazing deal on the Da-Lite High Contrast Matte White manual pull down screen until tomorrow for under $400 (way way under). A home made masking system will run you under a $100 and a RP82 progressive DVD player about $200. So you have $3000 for a projector and about $600 for accessories.

For under $3K you can buy pretty much any of the much discussed projectors within this forum except for the two or three models pushing $5K. These projectors run as low as around $1700 for the InFocus X1 which should be released soon.

So I'd go either with the elegance of Plasma in the under 50" category or the massively large sizes you can get with a FP unit. The in between ground is kind of eh unless you have under $1000 to spend.

Regards,

Nigel

·
Registered
310 Posts
aldo23,

Trust your eyes. Walk into a Best Buy and take a look at their Pioneer 5030HD's. That's the same glass as a 503CMX. If that display doesn't blow you away, go ahead and buy projection. But, if you're like most of us on this forum, you'll be sold on plasma faster than you can say "when's the next Dell deal".

Dave.

·
Registered
331 Posts
aldo23,

Better yet-walk into a HiFi store (Magnolia Hi-Fi-Laser Land ) and check out the plasma displays- You will be "wowed"!!!!

I was looking for a bigger main "TV" a few months ago and I narrowed my choices from RPTV-CRT-Plasma to ...you guessed it PLASMA (in abount 10 seconds:)

My initial reaction was Plasmas are cool but expensive-but in relative turms they are not that bad price wise-considering the fact that on an average you will buy your "main" TV every 5-6 years if not more.

What dave(copen) said is right on the money :) "when's the next dell deal"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but...say i go w/ the plasmas, the question the i need answered is, what then;

1)does it come w/ speakers

2)is it already HDTV ready, so all i have to do is buy a reciever, which i figured was something i had to buy regardless..

3)mounting, well, it cant be that hard...

4)any problems hooking up x-box, dvd player(not the fancy 1's)

mind u i know some of these question may be silly, but im really just a novice, so i appreciate any help..

As for front projectors, how does that work. Same set-up as say a movie theater? does that mean if i move in front of the screen will block the image? im totally in the dark w/ projection, but one member stated that the resolution is better than a plasma, is that true?

many questions, and i apologize, i just hope some get answered....

My ultimate fear is to buy a plasma screen and find out that better 1's come out 6months later and cheaper....

so that why i asked, whats the smartest move?

·
Registered
310 Posts
aldo23,

I can't comment on projection, but here are your plasma answers:

1. Not usually, but who cares? Use your receiver's speakers.

2. Yes.

3. Much easier than mounting a projector & screen, IMO.

4. No.

And yes, 12 months later, a better & cheaper plasma will come along. You have to bite the bullet some time, though.

Dude, you're getting a Dell! :)

Dave.

·
Registered
331 Posts
"My ultimate fear is to buy a plasma screen and find out that better 1's come out 6months later and cheaper"

Isnt that true for any electronic equipment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dmasma, i agree...but then there are good buys, take my car for example, its 01'GS430, same exact car as the new 03', so my car is still holding ground. Do u understand what im getting at? Then i read this whold DVI/HDCP thing, now im getting discouraged. Question, how much better is the resolution of a plasma to say a HDTV widescreen TV?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aldo23
dmasma, i agree...but then there are good buys, take my car for example, its 01'GS430, same exact car as the new 03', so my car is still holding ground. Do u understand what im getting at? Then i read this whold DVI/HDCP thing, now im getting discouraged. Question, how much better is the resolution of a plasma to say a HDTV widescreen TV?
I think that is a poor analagy. The auto industry isn't changing anywhere as fast as the CE industry. Currently, display devices are like pc's. Display quality is increasing, prices are dropping and the technology is rapidly changing. There is nothing out there that I would purchase if I had to live with it for more than 5 years. Go look at a 5 year old RPTV and compare it to todays. The days of buying a TV and having it for 20 years are gone unless you don't mind outdated technology. Once we get true 1080X1920 devices and connections are standardized, then maybe you can buy a set for the long haul. I plan on replacing my plasma and pj in 3 to 4 years at the longest.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I agree with Greg, there's no question that the plasma you buy today will likely be outdated in fairly short order. So a better one will be out in a few years... Fine, buy that one and move the older one to bedroom or something. Remember that the PQ on these is pretty dam good, I don't see how it could get outdated (well, in a reasonable amount of time) to the point that it wouldn't be great as a 2nd TV in a bedroom. Plus, you can wait forever, and all the while we were watching our nice TVs.

With regards to the main thread here, I wanted to comment on the FP or plasma. These really serve two different purposes. A FP will provide a "Theatre" like experience, one that can only be achieved with the sort of size that they offer. But a theatre is not a TV. Something you can leave on in the background while eating dinner, or just throw on a football game, etc. is NOT in my opinion a FP. Can people see how they are 2 different things? Does that make sense?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Felgar
I agree with Greg, there's no question that the plasma you buy today will likely be outdated in fairly short order. So a better one will be out in a few years...
Does anyone forsee what will be the changes or advancements that might come in the near future?

On one hand I'm getting pumped to buy a plasma now, but on the other hand I'm getting a little concerned that the model I but today will be 'old' as far as technology goes soon after it arrives.

I guess if I'm to learn what the next great feature will be, I'll learn it here!

Thx

·
Registered
984 Posts
There are always changes on the horizon. One of the biggest ones right now is the DVI interface with HDCP encoding. If you do a search here you'll find lots of discussions on this issue. I am going to be buying the Pioneer 503CMX in large part because it has a video card slot so you can upgrade your plasma when new technologies arrive.

You can wait forever waiting for the perfect ... [computer, tv, cell phone, disposable diaper]. Actually you can't wait forever on that last one.

If you can afford it, go for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.