AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So why could you not purchase 3 LT-150's from the Dell web site for $1,800 a piece x 3 = $5,400.00 and stack them for a three chip DLP?

Could you not make each one of them project a single color by stopping the Color Wheel?

Beats spending $65k or even $20k on EBAY to purchase the Runco VX3c projector.

Alfred--

------------------

Alfred S. Harding--

·
Registered
221 Posts
That would be an interesting cable to make:

Take the HD-15 connector on the video card of the HTPC and split the RGB signal into each individual signal to an individual HD-15 for the three projectors. How would sync work? Does the LT-150 allow for separate V and H sync?

Component wouldn't work because two of the signals aren't complete without the luminance channel.

Hold on though - even though each projector wouldn't get the full signal it would still look to the empty inputs during the time that it thinks the color wheel had the unused colors up. That would lead to flicker, wouldn't it?

Guess someone has to try...

drewman

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
It does make you think about the pricing of the 3 chip projectors, though.

Start from the $5400 solution suggested:

Remove 2 cases...3 color wheels...3 color wheel motors...2 lenses...2 electrical supplies...2 sets of cables, warranties and documentation...

and INCREASE the price six-fold to get a 3 chip DLP?!?!

I still wonder why the 3 chip DLP pricing is like that.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Mark,

Agreed.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where, on the Dell website, are you finding a price of $1800 for the LT-150?

[This message has been edited by KilgoreT (edited 07-20-2001).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
This reminds me of an idea I had back in the days of VGA projectors. If you only had a way to take the odd fields and even fields of a 1080 interlaced HDTV signal, and send them to separate LCD projectors, which are relatively cheap, you could project them together and get closer to an SXGA image. But now that the cheap projectors are DLP XGAs, I can see another reason to do this; as long as the color wheels of the 2 projectors were slightly staggered or out of synch, they might reduce the rainbow effect. Of course, there would still have to be some scaling done to get the aspect ratio right. Two NEC LT-150s would cost $6000 and produce plenty of light.

Has anyone ever heard of a device that would allow you to separate odd and even fields?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
So why could you not purchase 3 LT-150's from the Dell web site for $1,800 a piece x 3 = $5,400.00 and stack them for a three chip DLP?
You could.

What you would get would be an image that's three times brighter and a black(grey) level 200 percent worse and three times the bulb replacement cost and severe convergence problems, etc.....

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Actually, I think the best advantage you could get from two LT150's would be resolution. Stand them on their sides, so your vertical resolution is 1024 and your horizontal is 1536. That's close to full 1080i HDTV. You just need a dual-head video card in your HTPC and apps like PowerDVD and Cinemaster that will take care of splitting the overlay of a single scaled image across the two displays. I haven't paid much attention to the PC-based HDTV cards. Do any of them output the image back through the processor and video card or do they all go out their own VGA port ?

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dreamer:
Actually, I think the best advantage you could get from two LT150's would be resolution. Stand them on their sides, so your vertical resolution is 1024 and your horizontal is 1536
I might actually try that if the Dell deal pans out.

On Frank's post, it will be interesting to see what happens to the blacks when I stack them. 100% worse blacks (for 2) sounds horrible. But in reality we're talking about from 1 lumen to 2 lumen. That is if you believe the 800:1 contrast and 800 lumen output specs of the LT150.

--Les

·
Registered
157 Posts
How about another wacky idea: Intall two video cards on your HTPC and run two LT150s side by side for a res of 2048x768. Who needs 16x9 panels?

This assumes:

1) You could find a soft DVD player that could display a frame mapped across multiple montiors (I have a dual monitor setup at my office and both PowerDVD and SoftDVD don't want to do this).

2) You could find a soft scaler that could do the proper mapping.

3) You could align the projectors perfectly so there's no overlap or gaps.

Chances are you would need to develop some custom software to accomplish this properly, but its fun to dream. There are some games that support dual monitors. I'd love to play Quake2 on a 20' screen!

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.