AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have been considering purchasing one of these however I contacted Behringer regarding some simple questions I had.

Doing larger shows requires using a single phase 220vac distro which again require "Load Balancing" for each of the legs.

I inquired for the power consumption for their EP4000 and was told:
Code:
Dear 24volt,

Thank you for writing. For the EP4000, the 100-120V (US version) requires a 15 amp fuse (supplied). The power consumption for this model is 2600 watts. I am attaching the manual which has a spec sheet on page 12 as well.

Kind regards, 

CARTER Jason 
Administrator, Care Prosumer Division

Now simple math tell me this in incorrect. The formula is voltage x current = wattage

At the plug the amp is fused as 15 amps while Jason boast of 2600 watts of power consumption.

15 amps x 120vac = 1800 watts leaving me with a deficit of 800 watts or 800 watts over the protective fusing.

The truth be told the actual 120vac current fusing for the load balancing needs to be 21.666 amps as stated by prosumer  division of Behringer 

These numbers also can be applied to the overall output of any class amplifiers output stage.

to achieve their rated output.

EPX4000 shows a required dedicated 30 amp circuit PEROID! 120vac x 30 amps =  3600 watts of actual power at the plug to support this class H amp. Please note this is NOT the suggested power input.

you can't starve this amp and expect it to perform. Most clubs and local places have at best 20amp service to each plug. 

SO MY QUESTION IS THIS:

Are the Class H,  and or D amps able to put out more power to the speaker then what is coming from 

the House electric plug??

If yes, Then is this being performed using voltage doubling power supplies?

If yes then how much higher is the overall voltage from the amp to the speakers? and would this be damaging to your passive crossovers, speakers, especially HF horns. 

The formula of voltage x current = wattage must apply

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
If you need to deliver 4KW to a speaker system, then you need an A/C power source which can provide somewhat more than 4KW. A digital amp is more efficient, so the "somewhat more" is a lot less than it would be for a class A/B amp.

You have to determine exactly how much power is needed by your specific speakers to deliver the desired SPL in the actual venue. In many cases, that would far less than the rated maximum of the amplifier being used. If you never use the maximum rating, then you don't need the maximum power to be provided.

The Harman/Crown power calculator might help. See http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you very helpful link. Using multiple amps in a very large gym (2000+) audience wanted 95dbspl in back of room calculator proved very helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

On the electric power side distro single phase 220vac 80 amps per leg to match and I will have more than enough power, however the leg matching is very important to prevent "sag" without conditioning. Calculator stated I needed 3870 watts for the system and using 8 cabs with 103 1w1m 600rms ea should be enough. Planning possible additional mid/high cabs for back end for potential critical distances issues due to the massive reflections.

·
Premium Member
24,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball  /t/1522521/ok-techies-major-questio...t-behringer-ep4000-epx4000/0_50#post_24482076

If you need to deliver 4KW to a speaker system, then you need an A/C power source which can provide somewhat more than 4KW.

True only if usage will be sine wave testing or playing highly compressed material at extremely high levels.

For normal home usage a 115V 15A circuit is fine for powering multi-kW amps which are asked to approach full power only briefly and occasionally. where the duty cycle will be 10% (corresponding to 10 dB crest factor) or less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Noah Thanks for the reply I think everything as I figured is in line with what you posted using the equivalent of five of these units for the FOH and with 120vac/200 amps should be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Just an update the 220 balanced "Y" distro was subdivided into 6 (30 amp) circuits and the rest used the 20 amp circuits. The system and design we put into this gym was incredible. From front to back 8-db drop from the top of the bleachers measured at 50', 75', and 105' I went parallel to the system and I measured a mere 4-db difference and was able to eliminate all of the main room echo except from 70-hz and down. The massive air handlers for the room have a somewhat "tuned" response to the lower frequencies. I was able to control this by using a separate aux feed with the kick drum and bass guitar only to the sub amps. These amplifiers worked beautiful with the 30 amp service attached to each, they were never even near clipping even when the room reached 120-db for brief crescendo moments and the massive endings when we pushed the masters faders. 

Gary

I posted pictures of the event on my Company Face Book page

www.facebook.com/ApostlesOfSound

1 - 7 of 7 Posts