AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got my SPDIF issues sorted to the point I have digital output, but now I want to listen to MP3's.

Well, I connected the 1/8" stereo jack in to the connector on the back, and placed the RCA plugs into the CD input on my receiver. Well, the hum is annoying as all heck.

I have to turn the volume up to about 80% (20 out of 99, where lower is louder) on my receiver to even really get any sound, so that could be part of the problem, but could the cord being directly beneath my plasma TV runing the length of the lower edge be the cause of the hum? It is just a standard cable from Target, but in this case a cable should just be a cable, right?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yeah you could use a MP3 Player that supports SPDIF, that is the one solution, but otherwise if the chipset is the Realtek 650 (you didn't say what Shuttle it is) then in the Advanced Properties of the control panel enable Loudness. What this will do obviously is increase the output significantly and it will sound a lot better. This doesn't solve the hum but it will allow you to turn down the main volume a lot and in turn make the hum a whole lot (if not completely) unnoticable.

As always a cable isn't necessarily always a cable. If after trying the loudness fix above, try a Monster or similar quality brand highly sheilded cable and see if it helps. You could be getting interference from the Plasma or even your Power Supply.

Let me know how that goes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you're using cable TV try unplugin the cable **everywhere** in your house and see if that change your hum. I had an incredibly loud humming in my system because of this. If that's your problem there are several way to get a floating mass on your cable tv and get rid of this problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think it’s the DAC on the board example I used a TB Santa Cruz with a set of promedia 4.1 and it sounded great than I connected the analog out to the 5.1 external pass on my receiver and I noticed a hum I tried using the spdif, no hum. I found SNR - Signal to Noise Ratio of the card was low and was adding noise to the signal I since replaced the Santa Cruz with a revolution 7.1 and enjoy analog out with its sonic integrity. Also in a review of the revo http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/revo/index.php explains SNR as well as THD in laymen’s terms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.