AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am obviously a newbie... will the sound be muffled a great deal if my mains and center channel speakers are hidden behind my projector screen?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Depends on the screen. Micro-perf screens are designed to be as acoustically transparent as possible. But the "normal" screen isn't. Exactly what you lose depends on the screen material, but you will lose a significant amount of the high end.

You will get better answers in the Screen forum.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well if you have a regular screen, e.g. not acoustically transparent then no, it does not make any sense whatsoever to place the front and center speakers behind the screen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How about just the center channel... would it sound totally muffled?

Not trying to hijack his thread, but I'm in the same situation (possibly) for just the center channel.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motionblurrr
How about just the center channel... would it sound totally muffled?

Not trying to hijack his thread, but I'm in the same situation (possibly) for just the center channel.
Come on now, think about it, of course it will degrade your output.

Just don't do it.

Just place it above or below the screen.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you use a perforated screen, which is fine for placing a center channel behind it, you reflect less light, which could be a problem based on your FP lumens output as well as background material; decreased ability to display a bright image can also affect your ability to obtain a decent contrast ratio. That said, folks use perforated screens successfully with good visual result.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You particularly don't want the center channel behind the (normal) screen. It's were all the dialog info comes from. You'd do better to put it to the side of the screen than behind it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.