AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HD STB locking in a solid 70-90 signal using a double bow tie antenna. I'm considering adding a HiPix to my HTPC to record HD OTA now that there's more programming. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif If I were to split the antenna between the STB and the HiPix, will I degrade the signal to the point I won't be able to lock-in to a signal?

Thanks in advance!

------------------
My HT:

Mitsubishi WS-65807 HDTV, ONKYO TX-DS787, Paradigm Monitor 7 Mains

Paradigm Reference CC450 Center, Paradigm Monitor 3 Rears, Velodyne CT-100 Subwoofer, Mitsubishi MR-60705 Rack, ProScan PSHD105 STB,

PIII 800Mhz HTPC (Detailed Below), RCA RC5210P DVD Player, Sony SLV798-HF VHS VCR, KENWOOD DP-R6030 5 Disk CD Changer, Studiotech Model SS Rear Stands, Radio Shack Double-Bow Antenna (Cat. # 150-623), BetterCables Premium VGA To RCA Breakout Cable, Monster Cable (Bought At Accomodation Prices)

My HTPC:

Antec KS780-B Black Case, ASUS CUSL2 MOBO, PIII 800MHz CPU, Radeon 32MB DDR, MAUDIO AP2496, Crucial 256MB PC 133 RAM, WD307AA 30.7GB Hard Drive, Toshiba SD-M1402-B Black DVD-ROM, Teac Black Floppy Drive, Airboard IR Keyboard
s>

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
You should be OK with a simple splitter. Try that first. If it is too much loss, you can buy a 1in 2out amplified splitter at Rat Shack for less than $20.

With RF more is not better so do try the passive splitter first. Amplifiers can overload receivers. DTV (8vsb)is espicially sensitive to that.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Consider for a moment the economics here.

I too struggled to bring an ota signal to my stb and my hipix. I tried the aforementioned rat shack powered and passive splitters and found that my strength indicator dropped precipitously. (more than 10- 20 points in the hipix meter)BTW the powered one didnt work at all, you can definitely overload the rf signal going into a hd decoder.

Then I realized I was splitting a source from a 15 dollar antenna!!! I just bought my second bow tie and Im a much happier man for it. The bowtie at less than 20 dollars is better than any splitting solution I could think of. As long as your installation allows for it, pick up that second antenna, splitting sucks.

K

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, everyone.

K,

I thought about that and would easily drop $15-20 on another antenna after spending more $$$ on the HiPix. My "small" dillemma is aesthetic.

------------------
My HT:

Mitsubishi WS-65807 HDTV, ONKYO TX-DS787, Paradigm Monitor 7 Mains

Paradigm Reference CC450 Center, Paradigm Monitor 3 Rears, Velodyne CT-100 Subwoofer, Mitsubishi MR-60705 Rack, ProScan PSHD105 STB,

PIII 800Mhz HTPC (Detailed Below), RCA RC5210P DVD Player, Sony SLV798-HF VHS VCR, KENWOOD DP-R6030 5 Disk CD Changer, Studiotech Model SS Rear Stands, Radio Shack Double-Bow Antenna (Cat. # 150-623), BetterCables Premium VGA To RCA Breakout Cable, Monster Cable (Bought At Accomodation Prices)

My HTPC:

Antec KS780-B Black Case, ASUS CUSL2 MOBO, PIII 800MHz CPU, Radeon 32MB DDR, MAUDIO AP2496, Crucial 256MB PC 133 RAM, WD307AA 30.7GB Hard Drive, Toshiba SD-M1402-B Black DVD-ROM, Teac Black Floppy Drive, Airboard IR Keyboard
s>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.