AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to open a can of worms here but... its dvd good enough as it is with our projectors we have now? When i say this I am asking screen vs size for example. I've heard a normal 35mm film is equal to about 3000*2000 resolution in theaters. so equating that to most peoples sizes in ht doesnt dvd equal or not even surpass that in resolution comapring to movies? I mean a 30'*20' film in a theater compared to a 8'*5' screen. Considering that , how much better can it get? Yeah 720p looks damn good, but how much better can it really get? Just a simple questions, all opiions apply here>

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Well, HDTV absolutely $HITS ALL OVER DVD on my Xtra.

So no, DVD is not good enough - especially NTSC ones.

You sit closer remember - the apparent size is similar to the theatre.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
When HDTV gets a little farther into the consumer mainstream, expect to see a high definition version of DVD. Hopefully it won't turn into another format war, with different organizations pushing THEIR rendition of HD DVD on the public.

Hi def is a wonderful thing, but I still haven't gotten around to getting it for my system. Got the HTPC, though. (A basic one.)

Is HD really all that much better looking than a good DVD through a line doubler? I'm asking because I haven't yet seen higher rate HD signals on a good projector, so I don't have a basis for comparison yet.

CJ

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have a Sony 1272, a DVD player with a line doubler. HDTV is absolutely HUGE compared to the DVD.

The picture on the DVD is really nice. HDTV on a good signal is like looking out a picture window. IT's THAT GOOD!!

Clay

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree. HDTV is WAY beyond DVD. When I finally got HD for my system last month, I rarely watch my dvds now. It's hard viewing dvd after you've been exposed to HDTV.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
HD is much better. I even find myself watching the silliest stuff on HD just because I can't get enough of that sharp image.

Cary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.