AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I've been reading & reading.. & figured with all the chapter talk, there would be something automatically ON the finalized dvd , that does **something**.

now I'm lost again.

I have dubbed several dvd-r's. (from HDD)

most are at Sp > High speed SP

the finished programs play as they were recorded,, all that shows up on menu is their titles....

what exactly is a chapter marker supposed to do??

ALSO,, I take it these thingy's (chapter markers) do NOT show up if you record directly FROM the cable signal(or whatever) directly TO the dvd-r??? only if you dub FROM the HHD to dvd-r??

sheesh, I'll understand all this one of these days........

·
Registered
291 Posts
chapter markers are exactly what the name implies, they mark the beginning of a new chapter, whenh you record something and press the chapter mark, later on in the disc navigator you'll see more than one chapter shown up. also when you wanna cut out a commercial the recorder breaks things up in chapters (with the devide function for example)

For technical reasons, which are also beyond my grasp at this moment chapter markers (or chapters) can not always be copied to a DVD. or in some cases if you have a HD, the chapter markers are discarded and/or automatic chapter marks are set on the DVD.

dunno if this helps, but re-reading the manual and playing with the HD and a few DVD's should clear it up.

I re-read the manual several times over and over again and not until I tried various things, at the cost of a couple of DVD's did I sorta figure it out..

Erick

·
Registered
177 Posts
As I understand it, markers work differently based on whether you are HS dubbing or not to a DVD-R. If you do not HS dub, markers will be set every 5 minutes. If you do and DVD Compatibility Rec is 'on', then the markers you set will be retained when the DVD is finalized, as opposed to the 5 minute chapter stops. If you are copying to a DVD RAM, then the markers should just be chapter stops.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Although there is no specific mention of a product, I'm assuming we are talking about Panasonic recorders here. If not, the following may not apply.

Markers are converted to chapter stops, but only when the DVD-R is recorded in high speed mode AND finalized. These chapter marks do not show up on the Title Menu and you can't select thumbnails for them, but you can navigate using the prev/next chapters buttons on your DVD remote.

The divide function will create chapter/title points as well as create entries in the title menu with optional thumbnails. However, these divide points cause a slight delay on playback.

I just figured this stuff out yesterday on my E-100. The manual was of little use.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Perhaps this is of little use but....

I just recorded a movie on the E80...HD......I wanted to do some editing so I FF and clicked on markers every 10 min or so.....I dont know how to instantly/quickly get to the end of a ie movie without doing this.

Once the markers were in place I quickly advanced every 10 min or so and edited almost to the frame. I believe that if I do a HS dub these markers will not be dubbed but if I turn off 'compatibility' they will....at real time??

·
Registered
547 Posts
I guess this is a good as place as any to ask this question. I would like to put about 2 to three hours of music on a DVD and place a chapter marker in between each song. Probably no problem. I would like to play the music DVD I created on a DVD player and have it stop after each song is played. I quite possibly will be using a Phillips DVD-R 72 recorder yet to be purchased at my local Sam's Club for $359.

Thanks For Input

Bill G

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hey guys, don't make the same mistake I did. Don't confuse "titles" with "chapters".

Panasonic E-100; others ? ? ?

A chapter-point is merely a skip-to point in your program ("file" in computer-speak). A marker set on the HDD is dubbed to DVD-R as a chapter-point during a High-speed dub; at low speed, markers are ignored and chapter points set approx every 5 minutes. These chapters or chapter points don't show up anywhere.

A title can be entered for each program; this title will show up on a menu, and on the E100, will have a thumbnail. You can dub selected programs; you cannot choose portions between selected chapter points.

Now, for the "gotcha": On playback, there will be a pause of a second or so between titles.

For Bill's question, getting it to stop after a selection, I think the Panasonic would, using PLAYLIST. I can't speak for the Phillips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.