AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, there is a +10K thread for this question and I simply don't have the time to go through it. So can you folks please fill me in with the latest news?

- Will there be any decision any time soon?

- Is there any deadline or something?

- When do you think we'll to some HD hardware and software?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murat

You'll have to clarify what you mean by "decision" and "deadline". Some groups are still pushing for a single format, but if talks are back underway to merge, they're much further under the radar than previous attempts. If there's any deadline in place for a merger, it doesn't look to be known to the public. I'd peg it as pretty unlikely, but who knows...?

Quote:
The current guess for HD-DVD is a small number of players (50K-100K) priced around $1K around December, released alongside a very, very small number of titles. Most of the HD-DVD slate announced way back in January won't see the light of day until 2006, if at all. HD-DVD seemed to be doing a lot of posturing early on; Blu-Ray called its bluff, and now HD-DVD looks like it's going to have a hard time backing it up, at least where Q4 is concerned.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I heard something that there has to be a decision by the end of this year. But I'm not so sure and I maybe mistaken. Does DVDforum have a say in this format war, any authority?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I think the 2005 goal may be met just because that's a big part of what the HD-DVD camp has... first to market.

It's clear to me that HD-DVD is weakening from a market perspective. Fewer movies, weakened alliances. Blu-Ray has encryption that is a hair better (for Hollywood) and they'll be flooding the market with PS3 players by June '06. BR also has approaching 2000 movies ready (they say, anyway) vs the 80 or so from HD-DVD.

I get Google news posts all day long on this topic, and it's been heavily BR for a while now.

But this is all my opinion and speculation.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White
BR also has approaching 2000 movies ready (they say, anyway) vs the 80 or so from HD-DVD.
I think that is a misinterpretation of something said by SPHV. They said that they are preparing HD masters of their catalogue so they will be ready for Blu-Ray. Some have interpretted that to mean they will release 2000 movies on Blu-Ray at or near launch. That is a logistical and financial impossibility.

The masters are useful for Superbit, updated DVD, HD for movie channels, etc.

Warner has begun to create 4K masters of some of their titles. Does that mean anything?

Gary

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Michael Fidler, senior vice president of the Blu-ray Disc Group at Sony :

"Sony has 1,500 titles ready to go for High Definition, according to Fidler. Any Sony DVD that has "Mastered in High Definition" on the back of the case means it's ready to be re-issued for a Blu-ray DVD player."

Now this was only an internet article. A reporter at a show talking in the Sony booth sort of thing. This may not be an accurate quote or good info.

It's not a bad thing, though.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
That's the one. Ready to go for HD (in all its incarnations) not just Blu-Ray.

It would be accurate to say that Sony should be capable a launching BD with a big blush of titles, if they wanted to. Assuming the production capabilities (also affecting HD DVD now) are there.

Gary

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
------

I think I heard something that there has to be a decision by the end of this year. But I'm not so sure and I maybe mistaken.

------

Maybe you are confusing with the DTV transition. That has a deadline mandated by FCC.

But if you are talking about high definition optical disk formats, there is no deadline. Each camp (BD and HD-DVD) has a planned schedule, but it is set by themselves.

------

Does DVDforum have a say in this format war, any authority?

------

It has "a say" as in they want their format (HD-DVD) to be the de facto standard. But that's just what they "want". The other side (BD) thinks they will be the de facto standard.

DVD Forum only deals with their own format. BD is governed by a separate group, BDA.

And the market, hopefully soon, will decide which one will become the de facto standard (that is, the studios and the consumers). But since either format has any players or movies, well, it will take a while.

Hong.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
The point that I see is that I see HD-DVD softening. More news about Blu-Ray lately (encryption, new allies), not much from HD-DVD, other than HD-DVD is reducing the number of opening flicks.

There have deen several references to Sony Archiving digital masters, and that conversation usually goes hand in hand with Blu-Ray.

·
Premium Member
12,084 Posts
The HD masters are nothing new. Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner, New Line, Paramount, and just about everyone else has been mastering to HD from film for A LONG TIME now. That doesn't mean anything though in the big scheme as these still need to be converted from the D5 master to whatever codec they decide to use (VC-9, H.264, MPEG-2). Sony is just playing the marketing machine again, which is nothing new.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Does DVDforum have a say in this format war, any authority?
HD-DVD is DVD forum's format, they have full authority over it and zero over BR

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The current guess for HD-DVD is a small number of players (50K-100K) priced around $1K around December, released alongside a very, very small number of titles.
How about BD or HD-DVD PC drives ? I thought they were getting released earlier and at a better price point ...

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Me wants high capacity optical media, I don't give a **** about movies, I add 50 HDTV movies to my collection per month as we speak!!

where are the PC drives and media?? I have heard nothing about those in a long time

-Gary

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
We've seen Universal sign on with Blu-Ray, Lions Gate, and BenQ has announced the release of DVD-Roms Blue Ray drives in the first half of 2006, Apple joined the Blu-Ray board of directors...

Seems what little momentum there is in HD is focused on Blu-Ray.

Also see this article where there's a quote indicating that the Sony PS3 will have the ability to play movies. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=570559

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Ted, small correction.

Universal MUSIC has signed on as a Contributing Member of the BDA. Universal the STUDIO is (still, last I checked :)) signed on with HD-DVD.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Yes, that's exactly right! Thanks for the correction.

With Lion's Gate signing on I believe that makes Blue Ray controling 55% of the total DVD / Movie business.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quote:
Yes, there is a +10K thread for this question and I simply don't have the time to go through it. So can you folks please fill me in with the latest news?

1. Yes, the parties decided to have a war.

2. No. Now it is a race to get the first discs out. Most people are guessing that HD-DVD

will be out first.

3. Toshiba promised by Chrismas this year, and several times they have confirmed that.

Some partners of Toshiba for HD-DVD have backed off promises of xmas players. Sony

is estimating spring of 2006.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Lion's Gate went BR? just logged in today, and have not been to the big thread yet (one at a time) if that is true that is BIG news, BenQ showed their drive a long time ago, nothing new

nataraj , Gary: my guess the drives should be out first and at the same time for both formats, maybe even in 2005, don't forget a drive needs much less then a player in the box, no A/V decoders, no AACS..... all of this will be part of the SW player. That being said, to fully function (as movie players) they might need a new PC with new OS and as for that (i.e. the new HTPC) my guess is that it won't be ready before the players

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
nataraj , Gary: my guess the drives should be out first and at the same time for both formats, maybe even in 2005, don't forget a drive needs much less then a player in the box, no A/V decoders, no AACS..... all of this will be part of the SW player. That being said, to fully function (as movie players) they might need a new PC with new OS and as for that (i.e. the new HTPC) my guess is that it won't be ready before the players
I'm guessing a HDDVD-ROM or BR-ROM will be about $250, initially. While Vista won't be ready by then, hopefully Vista Beta2 and atleast Beta of whatever s/w player will be ready. Otherwise why would anyone buy the drive anyway ?

May be the first BR drive will be a writer ... ? Then it will be priced higher (the first cd-writer I bought was $300).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.