AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do it all the time and regret it. Buy something because the price is the most attractive part of it, then realize I wish I had focused more on what I was actually getting or wish it was better. In the long run I end up buying stuff twice- which costs more than if I did it properly the first time.

Tools come to mind. Harbor Freight and those kind of things are always so attractive on pricepoint but if you use is significantly you often wish you choose a more premium option.

Amps and speakers come to mind too. Same principles. Cheap stuff is cheap because good stuff got left out.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
"The speakers are currently located in Burbank Ca. and were used in a Post Production Mixing Studio."

·
Registered
19,673 Posts
I sold mine a long time ago. These are very nice but I have always thought the 4722 was a better deal.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I do it all the time and regret it. Buy something because the price is the most attractive part of it, then realize I wish I had focused more on what I was actually getting or wish it was better. In the long run I end up buying stuff twice- which costs more than if I did it properly the first time.

Tools come to mind. Harbor Freight and those kind of things are always so attractive on pricepoint but if you use is significantly you often wish you choose a more premium option.

Amps and speakers come to mind too. Same principles. Cheap stuff is cheap because good stuff got left out.

meh

I've been around the block on this hobby too, and have basically come to the opposite conclusion.

I'm fine with inexpensive, yet reasonable quality amps (Behringer is just fine/indetectible differences to my ears), I'm fine with decent PA speakers that have high SPL capability. I've moved up to flagship pre-amps and audiophile amps in my own theater, and didn't find the value. I heard several pairs of $25,000 level speakers compared to other more reasonably priced speakers in the same room at G2G's, I've watched pedigree speakers get beaten by cheaper speakers in blind tests. I saw several up to $3,000 flagship AVRs with the hyped Audyssey XT32, Trinnov, ARC, DIRAC, MACC, YPAO, get beaten in blind surround sound auto room EQ demonstrations by a cheap Onkyo 600 series AVR with AccuEQ -- so ultimately, I've come to a different conclusion after my deep dive into the hobby. Midgrade stuff is surprisingly capable these days.

Now I'll agree with you on subwoofers and speakers that find their orgin from Best Buy type retail big box stores. Most of that is junk, and you'll buy multiple times on your way up the ladder --- but excellent audio doesn't have to be pricey - you just have to be informed on what you buy.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
@Archaea

"I saw several up to $3,000 flagship AVRs with the hyped Audyssey XT32, Trinnov, ARC, DIRAC, MACC, YPAO, get beaten in blind surround sound auto room EQ demonstrations by a cheap Onkyo 600 series AVR with AccuEQ"

any chance that you wrote up some of this in a post or two somewhere? i would be interested to learn more about these experiments/tests.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
@Archaea

"I saw several up to $3,000 flagship AVRs with the hyped Audyssey XT32, Trinnov, ARC, DIRAC, MACC, YPAO, get beaten in blind surround sound auto room EQ demonstrations by a cheap Onkyo 600 series AVR with AccuEQ"

any chance that you wrote up some of this in a post or two somewhere? i would be interested to learn more about these experiments/tests.
I would be very interested as well to hear about this experiment. I'm currently looking at DIRAC to replace my Denon Audyssey receiver.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
@Archaea

I would be very interested as well to hear about this experiment. I'm currently looking at DIRAC to replace my Denon Audyssey receiver.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1717346-archaea-s-auto-room-eq-avr-comparison-g2g-november-8-2014-kansas-city.html

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I saw several up to $3,000 flagship AVRs with the hyped Audyssey XT32, Trinnov, ARC, DIRAC, MACC, YPAO, get beaten in blind surround sound auto room EQ demonstrations by a cheap Onkyo 600 series AVR with AccuEQ -- so ultimately,
Based on your thread that doesn't seem like a valid conclusion. The only conclusion one can really draw from that thread is that participants gave greater subjective weight to Atmos/DSU on that program material than to better room correction.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can respect the search for the diamond in the rough, or the maximizing of the performance to dollars ratio.

But generally that doesn't happen with the cheapest of cheap. It happens with the value sweet spot of the midrange.

I was talking more about buying cheap stuff.

Example: harbor freight tools or Pyle brand Audio stuff. If you are serious about the results it's better to spend a couple more bucks.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

+1. Price is quickly forgotten while quality is long appreciated. Or as Benjamin Franklin said "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". Someday maybe I'll actually apply it to something instead of insisting on being reminded of it the hard way lol.

That said I'm not disagreeing with Archaea, there has to be a limit somewhere.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts