AVS Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 1633 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
6 weeks (Sept 15) ago I purchased a 2019 Samsung 50RU710D (4K~VA panel) from Sam's club (similar to RU7100's). I returned it because the viewing angle was UN acceptable! I bought new a 2010 Samsung UN556400 and I thought it was bad back in 2010 but it is pale in comparison to the 710D.

I bought an 2019 LG 49UM7300PUA (4K~IPS panel) and I am well pleased! ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sony 65 XBR950G

Was planning on getting the Samsung Q80 but liked (actually my wife) the XBR better in person. And $200 cheaper.

Was also planning on getting a 55" :) Not sure if this 65 is too big so will give it a week or so to get used to it.

Hate the new stands but will eventually hang it anyway.

Replaced a 12 year old 50" XBR6 that the HDMI ports went out on otherwise was still decent.

Living room is bright with lots of windows so needed LCD. Have 65" LG OLED in finished basement which is awesome.

Sales person made some good comparisons between the Sony and Samsung, plus I never liked the marketing of the QLED name.

Just set up last night so too early to tell much, but set up was easy although I certainly don't need all the google crap. Just want a link to Netflix and Prime is all.

Hope I made a good call.

Dean

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

2019 Vizio P series Quantum 75

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model.

List of features (Dolby Vision, high peak brightness, wide color gamut, full array local dimming, contrast ratio) plus price

3. What you like best about your LCD.

All of the items I listed for number 2. :) If I had to pick one it would be the contrast. When coupled with the peak brightness and wide color gamut the image jumps off the screen at times.

4. What you don't like about your LCD.

The inability to add more apps to the smart system installed on the TV. No Disney+ which is why I added a Roku device.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had.

Nothing. I am happy with what it has.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.

None at this time.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD.

How many unique features (smartcast, appleplay, etc...) were available on the tv but had no influence on my purchase of the tv.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD.

Nothing yet (fingers crossed)

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

Compared to what they were even 3 or 4 years ago, heck yeah!

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

Not at this time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
1. Model

TCL 2019 5 Series 43 inch

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model?

Needed new spare TV for the bedroom, and I really liked the design of this one for the price. I'm a big fan of "edge to edge" glass design.

3. What you like best about your LCD?

The Roku interface ease of use for bedtime and phone app compatibility.

4. What you don't like about your LCD?

The remote. I hate clicky buttons. It's glitchy and maybe lower than average QA.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had?

Apple airplay

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD?

Keep the firmware updates coming to fix glitches and further refine these machines.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD?

The overall picture quality. The blacks. The black screen is very uniform, much more uniform than my prior Samsung NU8000. No clouding, and pretty decent HDR effect in a very dark room! Dolby Vision is nice and I can tell a difference coming from Samsung.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD?

Few of the apps crashing and a grey grid pattern across the panel showing up twice in 2 weeks. Had to restart the TV to remove it. Very worrisome about the longevity of this TV if this kind of thing is already happening. I really like the pic quality so I do hope it lasts a long time.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it?

Absolutely, even with all the potential problems. A TV like this would have been like what, 20 thousand dollars in 2002?

I'll be unboxing my TCL R625 soon for the living room, so expect another post! Once I do, this 5 series is finally going in the bedroom, as it's a living room placeholder for now. I REALLY REALLY hope my R625 is undamaged and at least works as well as the TCL 5 and its not any worse.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
1. Model

TCL 2019 3 Series 32 inch MODEL number 32S327

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model?

I was updating my older bedroom TV.

3. What you like best about your LCD?

Excellent black levels, great motion 120Hz, and accurate colors.

4. What you don't like about your LCD?

Not a big fan of the Roku features...yet.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had?

A better stand...one that is centered and some analog sound outputs.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD?

Default the home screen to a HDMI input & offer a better stand.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD?

The picture image processing is exceptional from 480i SD to 1080i/1080p 24Hz HD sources.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD?

Lack of analog sound output, I had to buy a digital to analog converter.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it?

I brought it on Black Friday....so...Yes.

TCL can definitely compete with LG, Samsung & Sony in the LED market.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
TCL can definitely compete with LG, Samsung & Sony in the LED market.
Technically all of these TVs are still LCDs. "LED" signifies the use of LED backlighting instead of the CCFL backlighting used in older models. "QLEDs" are also LCDs with LED backlighting and a quantum dot layer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Samsung Q90R

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung Q90R (65")

Online pro reviews and this forum

Inky blacks, great HDR performance

HORRIBLE LIP-SYNC PROBLEM with any external source (with DD audio), connected to the TV's HDMI inputs, and the TV connected to a soundbar with either ARC or Optical. In my case, it prevents me from connecting my cable box, Roku Ultra, and Samsung BD player directly to the TV.

Whatever would fix the problem in #4 above...would eARC do it?

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.
See #5 above

On the positive side, there were no real surprises. I paid a premium price, and had high expectations.

See #4 above

Not really. Well, maybe if everything worked they way it should, then yes. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Sorry this turned out to be so negative. I went over my original budget to get what I thought was the best LCD-LED TV available (OLED is not a good match for my room and our viewing habits...lots of TV channels with static images). It's been a very frustrating couple of weeks, and I'm spending so much time looking for a solution/alternative (while I'm still in the return period).

·
Registered
102 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung Q90R (65")

Online pro reviews and this forum

Inky blacks, great HDR performance

HORRIBLE LIP-SYNC PROBLEM with any external source (with DD audio), connected to the TV's HDMI inputs, and the TV connected to a soundbar with either ARC or Optical. In my case, it prevents me from connecting my cable box, Roku Ultra, and Samsung BD player directly to the TV.

Whatever would fix the problem in #4 above...would eARC do it?

See #5 above

On the positive side, there were no real surprises. I paid a premium price, and had high expectations.

See #4 above

Not really. Well, maybe if everything worked they way it should, then yes. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Sorry this turned out to be so negative. I went over my original budget to get what I thought was the best LCD-LED TV available (OLED is not a good match for my room and our viewing habits...lots of TV channels with static images). It's been a very frustrating couple of weeks, and I'm spending so much time looking for a solution/alternative (while I'm still in the return period).
The only alternative thats not a Samsung is to go with a Sony. x950g. Samsung really had the best LCD's this year compared to everyone else. LG doesnt even try on their LCD anymore and everything else is realistically such a lower build tier quality I'd consider them non choices for someone who has a Q90.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The only alternative thats not a Samsung is to go with a Sony. x950g. Samsung really had the best LCD's this year compared to everyone else. LG doesnt even try on their LCD anymore and everything else is realistically such a lower build tier quality I'd consider them non choices for someone who has a Q90.
I considered that SONY, but I need a wide viewing angle and I'm pretty sensitive to blooming (the 65" Sony doesn't do well with either), so I went with the Q90R. I love the Q90R PQ so much, I decided to workaround the lip-sync issue (and ended up giving up Atmos, etc.). I'm using an Optical switch box (external devices into the TV with HDMI and into the switch box with Optical). The output of the switchbox goes into an optical-only 5.1 soundbar system. So, now I have great-sounding DD from all sources, including the TV apps, that always works...no drop-outs, and no lip-sync problem.

I know Atmos fans will think I'm crazy (and maybe I am), but I now have great 5.1 sound to go with the great Q90R picture.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I considered that SONY, but I need a wide viewing angle and I'm pretty sensitive to blooming (the 65" Sony doesn't do well with either), so I went with the Q90R. I love the Q90R PQ so much, I decided to workaround the lip-sync issue (and ended up giving up Atmos, etc.). I'm using an Optical switch box (external devices into the TV with HDMI and into the switch box with Optical). The output of the switchbox goes into an optical-only 5.1 soundbar system. So, now I have great-sounding DD from all sources, including the TV apps, that always works...no drop-outs, and no lip-sync problem.

I know Atmos fans will think I'm crazy (and maybe I am), but I now have great 5.1 sound to go with the great Q90R picture.
Im a PQ over SQ guy any day but, a nie Atmos setup is a huge step up. At the end of the day it doesnt matter what anyone thinks though. If you're happy with your setup than thats all that matters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.
TCL 65R615

Online Reviews. Purchased the TCL 55R615 at BB, loved it. BB put the 65R615 on sale 4 days later at a crazy price. Boxed up the 55 and exchanged it for the 65

FALD, Inky blacks, Wide Color Gamut. Dolby Vision, Great HDR Performance, Roku interface

Horrible audio. Purchased the TCL Alto 7+ soundbar to fix that. Could use one more HDMI input.

Has everything I need.

Add one more HDMI Input

Premium Picture quality without the premium price. Especially at the sale price I got.

No problems so far

For this TV, yes. Why would anybody pay 3x more and only get maybe 10% better picture quality?

Best Bang for your Buck TV right now. This is my third 4k tv. I have a Sony XBR65X850C in the family room that was purchased 4-5 years ago and a TCL 50S425 for the master bedroom. This TV
was a replacement for my aging Samsung PN58C550 Plasma in the loft. It rivals the Sony PQ and is on my short list when it’s time to replace the Sony.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.
Sceptre U515CV-U 50" 4K

Price

Quality for the price paid - Black Friday sale, but thru the website with free delivery!!!

Inability to find out how to enter service menu for advance settings and calibration.

It is NOT in anyway a smart TV, but for the price, I am good with that.

None.

Picture quality for the price.

None.

For this TV, definitely!!!

If anyone has any information about these TV's to access service menu for on timer, calibration, etc., please let me know. And if I find any, I will also share.

TB:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
1. The model I got was a Vizio PX65-G1.
2. What convinced me to get it was the price and picture.
3. What I like best about my LCD is the size and the color of the picture and all the features.

4. What I don't like about my LCD is that it has a narrow viewing angle.
5. I believe the TV i got has just about all the features that you could get.
6. The only thing i can think as far as an improvement would be wider viewing angle.

7. The biggest surprise was how bright and well defined the color is.
8. I haven't had any issues with my TV so far.
9. I believe there are some really great prices out there for TV's in general.
10. This is truly the BEST Bang for the Buck. Out of the top 10 TV's rated this is number 6... but... to put that into perspective the top 5 are all OLED and this was half the price of those.

·
Registered
73 Posts
1. Model: QN8260RAFXZA

2. What convinced me to buy it? Great price, interest free financing, QLED upgrade over RU8000.

3. What I like best is the Quantum dot color and picture quality, plus the massive screen gives me THX recommended 40 degree field of view.

4. What I don't like is the severe flashlighting and terrible black uniformity. Can't even overcome it with bias lighting. I will admit that this may be due somewhat to my handling of the transport and installation. I did transport it flat and I laid it down to install wall brackets and lighting. Will never do this again. My awesome supplier is taking this set back in trade for the Q70R 82" at an even better price break. That one will be transported upright and never laid flat.

5. What features I wish the Q60R had. I wish the Q60R had FALD. This is my first edge lit display. My KU6300 is direct lit, even though it has no local dimming, light bleed is minimal. The solution to this shortcoming of the Q60R is the Q70R.

6. What suggestions would I give to Saumsung concerning the Q60R? Better backlight control(see item 5).

7. Biggest surprise. Unfortunately, the biggest surprise was a let down when after all the work bringing it home and installing it, I saw the terrible flashlighting. I won't say that I haven't enjoyed the display. After setting backlight and brightness levels, along with bias light level to best minimize the flashlighting, I have enjoyed numerous movies on this set. HD looks amazing and I can generally completely forget the light bleed and really enjoy the picture. I do look forward to the Q70R's FALD and black uniformity.

8. Issues with the TV? Aside from the flashlighting, the display has worked flawlessly.

9. Are today's prices worth it? While MSRP might seem high for these new sets, especially the new larger format displays, if you are willing to put in the time to go shopping, there are great prices available. I avoid stating what I actually paid for the Q60R or the Q70R that will be replacing it so not to create problems for my supplier. I will say that I bought a 2019 QLED 82" with FALD for exactly double what I paid for the 65" KU6300 in 2016. I would call that Christmas in February. Of course I got a bargain on the KU6300 too from the same supplier.

10. I know that Samsung gets alot of flack for their prices and feature compromises, and I'll agree that the QLED term(which looks way too much like OLED) is a bit tricky, but I buy their displays because all around no one does better with video processing and picture pop, upscaling my HD library to look fantastic at 82" from 8 feet away. These new Samsung QLED displays are amazing to watch movies on and that's specifically what I bought this display for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
New living room to go with my ps4 pro and gaming PC

1. The "Model" you have.
XBR-85X950G

Definitely the cost. I bought an open box version and it comes with the "free" 5 year Best Buy warranty.

Size! But most importantly, the picture quality on this TV is amazing!

Not quite supporting 1440p resolution..

Better FALD even though it is good enough.

Definitely a fast SOC since it can be a little sluggish. Sometimes the app just crashes.

I was cautiously optimistic when I got this TV since I had an OLED before it. And man that picture quality is amazing!

e-ARC seems to be a hit or miss...

Hell yeah, I got a huge discount + warranty with it.

Update the firmware so it can have HDMI 2.1!

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. The "Model" you have. LG 65NANO90

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model. "The Insiders"

3. What you like best about your LCD. Got a deal $650

4. What you don't like about your LCD. So far the picture isn't great with Directv

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had. Not sure yet

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD. Help with picture settings

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD. The LG live tv streaming

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD. Getting the picture right

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. Not sure yet

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged. I am going from a Sony 960.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
1. The "Model" you have: 85" Samsung QLED Q80T

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model: Size, Picture Quality, FALD, Low Input Lag

3. What you like best about your LCD: Size, fantastic picture quality, input lag means games feel more responsive.

4. What you don't like about your LCD: New release so there are a few bugs and kinks to work through.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had: More HDMI inputs. Hard to have enough.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD: Let me put inputs into a "stupid" mode and label them myself. The smart inputs are actually more annoying than helpful.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD: How tiny the remote is and the fact that it doesn't have an "input" button.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD: A few bugs related to the "smart" inputs/sources. A problem with the sound sensor that seems to have been resolved with the latest firmware.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it: Absolutely. A brand new 85" TV with a 5 year warranty for under $3k seems dirt cheap.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged: I love it. If you are looking for issues with any TV you'll find them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1. The "Model" you have: QN82Q90R

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model: Reviews coming in on the 2020 Sammy's were underwhelming and the Sony 900H seems to be getting further delayed. I had about resolved to wait for the 900H or 90T to show up in the 85 on ShopMyExchange when everyone dropped the price on the last 82Q90Rs and got it for $3500 after a price adjustment. It had enough HDMI 2.1 features that I doubt I'll notice a difference for the foreseeable future.

3. What you like best about your LCD. Colors pop and I have noticed detail in certain movies I don't even remember seeing in theaters. One Connect Box really is nice and another thing I'm glad about getting that the 90T wouldn't have.

4. What you don't like about your LCD. Mode switching isn't super smooth but occurs infrequently. Oddly, some wierdness on loading screens of Breath of the Wild (normal mode) which I owe to local dimming or the Switch being 1080p. Gameplay itself looks awesome (and might have been on the switches end. Need to check again after recent switch update). Immediately replaced the "Smart" remote remote with a normal one.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had: True HDMI 2.1. But no one really knows for certain anyway...

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD. The cable routing on the smart connect box could be a little easier. But not much.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD. Way heavy. I was expecting it to be a bit lighter (the panel at least) owing to much of the "guts" being in the fairly heavy OneConnect box itself. This was actually a lucky selection because an 85 without the OC may not have been manageable for my wife and I to set up.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD. Just the oddness on the Switch BOTW loading screen. Everything else is gravy.

9. Do you really think that today's "Prices" are worth it. Yes/No? Had things been more "normal" in the world, I likely would have gotten a cheaper 85 inch for roughly half with the theory being that it would be more replaceable sooner. Since it is unlikely we were going to be going to a movie theater for a long time, that money got funneled into this as more of a "forever" tv (forever being a relative term). The room it is in is more of a general purpose living room, so while we can make it dark, it's not a true home theater by any stretch so the lesser set would have been ok (replaced a 65 inch LG IPS that was nothing special). Having seen it, I know I will notice the downgrade now, but I think anything in this size would have had a good wow factor.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged. This also let me know that I will NEVER get a similar sized screen into our basement should I ever get it finished and set up with a true home theater. Stairwell has a landing and turn halfway down and that box would never go down, and the bare panel would have a super hard time (if not impossible) and be way risky. That will now definitely be a projector if it ever happens (likely already was anyway, but this sealed it).

·
Registered
Hisense H8G 50". Pioneer Elite LX303. Sony X800. Wharfedale Diamond 8.2, VMPS Original sub.
442 Posts
Model.
Hisense H8G 50"

Reviews and pricing.

The "blacks". Being my first real "smart" tv I really like the built-in Google TV OS.
I had a plasma monitor prior, no built in tuner or smart features.

Very reflective surface. Have to be careful of lights reflections.

A zooming feature to cut out those unsightly crawl bar that clog many networks screen?
Wish it had eARC for passing DD Atmos etc. since I recently upgraded my AVR to the latest Atmos/DTS X.

Include a better remote! The quality picture deserves a better remote.

Just how bright it is and the weight, so light.

None so far (1 month)

9. Do you really think that today's "Prices" are worth it.
Hell yeah! Like crumbs compared to yester-years.

Don't really understand why this Hisense model isn't more widely praised. I have compared it to my daughter's LG OLED,and the blacks are just as good, the color depth is outstanding,

1601 - 1620 of 1633 Posts