AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 2312 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

LG 42PG20

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

Price and amazing picture quality when compared to same size LCD.

3. What you like best about your Plasma.

The rich, lifelike colors and deep blacks look just amazing!

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

The fear of image retention and burn in.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

It does not have analog audio out, which I used in my prior setup. When I get a Blu-Ray player, I will probably need to upgrade to a new sound system as well.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

Add Analog Audio out.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

All of the internet chatter about the need to "break it in." Niether the retailer nor the manufacturer seemed fit to mention this.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

A little IR but it goes away pretty quick. I have had the set less than a week so I am still breaking it in.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

Absolutely! Compared to the price of a comparable LCD, I think the picture quality is better and the price is lower.

Additional comments:

I got my first flat panel! I went with the LG 42PG20 from Best Buy. It was on sale and I got an extra 10% off from Hot Deals Club so It was almost $400 below MSRP.

I really had figured I would go with LCD as Plasma had kind of slipped under the radar for me, but when I compared the picture side by side, the plasma had a much richer and deeper image. My wife preferred the plasma as well and the price was right, so we went for it. I have had it for almost a week and so far I love it! Our media room is pretty dark so setting the contrast low really gives it the feel of a movie in a theater. Coupled with my collector's item Tosh HD-A2, it delivers an incredible picture. It is only a 720P display, but I really can't see a difference betwen 720 and 1080 anyway, so I am happy with it. I plan to go Blu at some point in the future...hopefully prices will drop around the holidays this year.

·
Registered
21,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winoman /forum/post/0

Yeah gwsat (congrats BTW!) - for all my anticipation of owning a new Panny I don't at all feel any regret with this Kuro. Its pretty much the best looking video image I've ever had the pleasure to watch for any extended period of time (by far). The PQ is pretty damn awesome right outta the box. Mesmerizing really. I'm also pretty satisfied as to the degree to which I can adject picture settings - however I still find the manner of doing such non-intuitive and overly round-about.

BTW I figured out how to rename my inputs (shame one cannot do son the remote - OK for me - I've pretty much memorized my options - but other family memebers are not so practiced/aware). And I managed to attach the speaker bar today - but for some reason I am only getting TV sound through HDMI input 5. In some ways thats OK - (its the Cable/Fios input) - I'm just curious as to what I've done/no done to make this so (and I could not find any clue to it in the manual)

I have been so busy getting my Harmony remote reconfigured to work with the 6020 and a PS3, which I bought a couple of weeks ago, I haven't had much time to do stuff such as renaming the 6020's inputs.

Until now, I had thought that all of this black level talk was simply a nerdy obsession. No more. I watched Zodiac on Showtime last night and the shadow detail was simply startling. I had never seen anything like it. I also watched The Sand Pebbles, which was recently re-released on BD, and it was wonderful, too, despite its age.

My 6020 uses HDMI with both my TiVo S3 and PS3. Both also are connected to my A/V receiver via optical audio. This provides 5.1 sound, of course. Nevertheless, the 6020's speakers are active, too, if I want to use them instead of the A/V receiver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TH-42PZ800U Plasma

Picture Quality, Aesthetics, Value

Picture Quality, Design

I love everything!

Backlit Remote Control.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

Keep doing what you're doing panasonic, you rock!

How good it actually looks. I didn't think i would like the stand, but i gotta say i love it!

None

Yes, but only from internet providers. National retail chains are horrible.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

Buy this TV!!! Now!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/14421253

I have been so busy getting my Harmony remote reconfigured to work with the 6020 and a PS3, which I bought a couple of weeks ago, I haven’t had much time to do stuff such as renaming the 6020’s inputs.

I did figure out how to rename the inputs BTW (but I can't remember at the moment to tell you - its in the system setup somewhere I believe). I've made some progress on the harmony - but not with the PS3 - I have the Nyko USB dongle - and the Nyko works well enough - though not to turn the PS3 off that I can figure - but the harmony doesn't seem to register just yet. I'm thinking of having the harmony "learn" the Nyko remote commands

Quote:

Until now, I had thought that all of this black level talk was simply a nerdy obsession. No more. I watched Zodiac on Showtime last night and the shadow detail was simply startling. I had never seen anything like it. I also watched The Sand Pebbles, which was recently re-released on BD, and it was wonderful, too, despite its age.

Agreed. I knew the value of black level and had appreciated it in prior Pioneers (Elites) that I had viewed in properly darkened show rooms. However I also spent time viewing panny 700 series products in such environments and while I could tell the difference going directly one to another i felt that I would be perfectly happy with the Panny levels (and would be) - though I appreciate the superiority of the Kuros in this regard and am enjoying the most awesome PQ! Ultimate Black level does not necessarily mean the better shadow detail - though it helps. One area I was quite pleased with the Pannys - even with comparitive viewing of the same (dark/low light) source material was their ability to deliver detail and gradiations within the black/very dark blue-grey etc. Again I have no complaints with the Kuro.

Quote:

My 6020 uses HDMI with both my TiVo S3 and PS3. Both also are connected to my A/V receiver via optical audio. This provides 5.1 sound, of course. Nevertheless, the 6020’s speakers are active, too, if I want to use them instead of the A/V receiver.

I'm connected to the Kuro a number of ways - Fios & Ps3 via HDMI - and both with Coax D-audio and Optical respectively (to my AVR). Denon 3805 to Kuro via component and I have an Akai video switcher (with a bunch of legacy video stuff) connected via composit. I also have a Yamaha HD/CDR connected to the Kuro by Svideo to display titles, tracks and other control info. All of these are simultaneously connected to the Denon and in some cases triple redundent (via composit) to the Akai! I literally have 4 pages of detailed schematics I have hand drawn out and its a nightmare to remember what input name and pathway goes to what component - I'm very creative with it (but am running out of inputs...). I like to have multiple operations (usually involving dubbing of some sort) going at once. And one area I'm am disapointed with the Pioneer that I have discovered is its inability to display PiP from external sources - only with its internal tuner - that I don't currently use. This is a very big drawback for me - though my Akai has a very small color monitor built into it that I make much use of. Ultimatly I may add a small (19"?) LCD screen on a swivel to swing out for additional monitoring capability.

·
Registered
21,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winoman /forum/post/14436138

I'm connected to the Kuro a number of ways - Fios & Ps3 via HDMI - and both with Coax D-audio and Optical respectively (to my AVR). Denon 3805 to Kuro via component and I have an Akai video switcher (with a bunch of legacy video stuff) connected via composit. I also have a Yamaha HD/CDR connected to the Kuro by Svideo to display titles, tracks and other control info. All of these are simultaneously connected to the Denon and in some cases triple redundent (via composit) to the Akai! I literally have 4 pages of detailed schematics I have hand drawn out and its a nightmare to remember what input name and pathway goes to what component - I'm very creative with it (but am running out of inputs...). I like to have multiple operations (usually involving dubbing of some sort) going at once. And one area I'm am disapointed with the Pioneer that I have discovered is its inability to display PiP from external sources - only with its internal tuner - that I don't currently use. This is a very big drawback for me - though my Akai has a very small color monitor built into it that I make much use of. Ultimatly I may add a small (19"?) LCD screen on a swivel to swing out for additional monitoring capability.

I use my 6020’s one and only component out to connect to my receiver, a Yamaha RX-V2400. One of the receiver’s component out connections is attached to my Apple TV. I could attach the Apple TV via HDMI, of course, but component does 1080i video just as well as HDMI does. I am not using the receiver’s other component out ports at the moment, although that connection is available. One of these days I may upgrade to an HDMI capable A/V receiver but I don’t really need it yet.

I have a splitter on my cable and the leg that is not attached to my TiVo is connected to the 6020. Thanks to the 6020’s QAM tuner, I can receive the HD feeds of all local stations carried by Cox OKC without a second HD cable box. Pretty neat. I have fooled around with both split screen and PIP and both work well to simultaneously show me what is going on with the TiVo and the 6020’s QAM tuner.

I apologize for hijacking the thread. In won't happen again, I promise.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Pioneer PDP-6020FD

I was going either Mitsubishi or Samsung DLP when I saw the 6010 side by side with the DLPs I was looking to buy and I was blown away. The 6020 is newer and the Elite was just too much.

Black levels and absolute clarity of picture.

$$$$$

And I can hear a slight buzz in a quiet room with a mostly white picture. Not enough to bother me in the end, though.

3-5 more inches

At a loss to think of anything with my specific model.

I thought it looked absolutely amazing when I first set it up, then I realized it was being fed a 720p signal. Switched to 1080i (DirecTV) and was blown away.

Slight buzzing with a bright white screen and a quiet room.

The price is painful, but I don't feel ripped off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TH-42PZ800U

The reviews on this forum.

The "color quality" in the THX mode is beautiful out of the box.

The buttons for volume and channel up and down are reversed compared to everything else.

HDMI connections that are vertical instead of horizoontal. So that the panel can be closer to the wall, and take the strain off of the cables.

Rethink the trim around the glass. There must be a better way.

It's not as big as I thought it would be.

Not a single one.

Not from the B & M stores.

If you need a small panel, and want a beautiful picture look no further. I could have bought anything that I wanted and I chose this one. I'm extremely glad that I did.

Mike

·
Registered
21,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_fowler99 /forum/post/14468263

Slight buzzing with a bright white screen and a quiet room.

I have not yet run my 6020 with a bright white screen but it has been totally quiet ever since I set it up

Quote:

The price is painful, but I don't feel ripped off.

I agree. Although I am as sensitive to prices as just about anybody, I don't resent what I had to pay for my 6020. I would have preferred that it cost less but it is a perfectly remarkable HDTV and, in the end, you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/14469526

I have not yet run my 6020 with a bright white screen but it has been totally quiet ever since I set it up

I didn't notice it at all until I started running through the break-in stuff.

Now, with the HTPC input on, it's got a reasonably bright background and if I open up a mostly white window or a web browser I can hear a buzz if I really try.

Nothing that's going to affect me at all, though.

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
Chris -- I could live with a moderate amount of buzzing from the 6020, so long as it wasn't loud enough to interfere with the audio. I think the chances of that ever happening are remote as my old 50 inch RCA Scenium DLP was often as loud as a jet aircraft. Even the RCA's excessive noise, though, was rarely audible above the audio of the program I was watching.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TH-50PZ85U

Torn between the Panny and the Sammy. The Panny won due to a better deal and recommendations from friends.

Picture quality.

A lot heavier than expected. The remote is nothing special. I hate the shiny black bezels on nearly all models.

More adjustments and different options for the bezel.

Backlit remote, more adjustment capability, and different bezel.

After reading this thread, no surprises.

None.

Definitely. Lower is always better but under $2k for this panel is a great deal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TH-50PZ85U

The name Panasonic

The Deep blacks and beautiful picture it produces

There's nothing major to complain about this set

I just wish it had more settings in the menu and maybe more than 1 good looking pre-set

More settings for the picture please

How good my 360 and PS3 games look...not blurry like LCD

Not 1 problem

for a 50" at under 2 grand definitely

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheridave /forum/post/3552150

I want to hear from you guys about your Plasmas. This is not a "Mine is Better than Yours" thread. Be thoughtful and honest.

Just got a new display? Post it here ONLY: please do not start a new thread

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Thanks.

Dave

1. Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD 60" plasma

2. The desire to have the best possible picture for movie viewing.

3. The picture quality, especially the blacks and the detail.

4. Nothing.

5. I can't think of any other features I would want except maybe still finer color management controls.

6. I only wish it didn't have to cost so much.

7. The dot-by-dot mode which I knew about but hadn't experienced before. It is so good to finally see every pixel of a movie.

8. None.

9. Yes. The set was worth it, even at the high price.

10. This is simply the best TV I have ever seen, regardless of type or price. Nothing else, inlcuding my other nearly new plasma from another manufacturer, comes even close to what I see with this set. I will be enjoying this one for a long time to come.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TH-42PX80U

This line gets great reviews and the price was unbeatable (and the 50" was sold out locally)

Looks great in black and the picture is awesome

Nothing yet

Nothing, I don't need all the bells and whistles

none yet

How good some of the SD channels look and that I can get local HD channels without an antenna

Nothing

$550 for a 42", most definitely

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all! Here's my info:

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN42A410C1D

We loved the picture quality and got it at a great price.

The picture quality. Simply amazing compared to our 10 year old big box Toshiba

The sound sucks, but I just plugged in my computer speakers until we purchase a theater system.

So far none, we're very happy with it.

So far none, maybe find a way to minimize the break in period.

PG&E bill!

None

Considering we purchased our for only $799, YES!

We purchased a piece of acrylic with anti-glare coating to protect the screen from whatever our 4 young kids can dish out and it's working great so far! You can see the bottom edge of the acrylic in this photo:

Sorry for the shadow on the TV, I didn't use the correct setting on my camera....

·
Registered
428 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN50A550

Color Accuracy, Noise Reduction, Price

No more motion blur like my lcd

not the greatest black levels but i can deal with them

.000001 FL

Stop selling 720p 50 inch plasmas... Sell 1080p plasmas @ 720p prices and we'll be good

How big it was

None

for me, yes. $1343 after tax... for a 1080p samsung 50" plasma

but i did get an associate discount

this tv is the best tv on the market IMO @ everything except blacks...

it dominates tvs that cost twice as much in other areas outside of black levels

best bang for the buck

·
Registered
363 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

LG 42PG20

Picture quality and value.

Looks. How well DVD's look on this set, Very little IR.

That it can't swivel like the 50" version.

Another HDMI input.

Swivel feature on the 42" size. Ability to adjust the brightness on the OSD.

How big it was in my room. Just how good HD looks.

None

Considering 11 years ago, I paid twice as much for my 32" Sony XBR tube TV, it is a great value.

This TV seems to be overlooked as compared to the 'big 3'. If you are shopping for entry level plasma sets, check this one out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
1. The "Model" you have".

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U.

Written reviews by professionals, In store comparisons with other makes and models, reading comments in this forum.

PQ,the Wide viewing angle,swivel platform

Very heavy. I would be concerned about hanging it on a wall. I needed my neighbor to help me put it on my tv table.

a) Capability to make the volume level on commercials the same as the program material. I'm tired of lowering the volume every time a commercial comes on.

b) PIP

c) Back lit Remote

Include a "burn-in- SD card" and calibration help for novices.

I replaced a 32" CRT with I loved. After setting up the unit my initial impression was "The picture is too big; should have purchased a 42" or 46" unit. However, now that I've been viewing the unit for several weeks, I made the correct decision. It takes time to transition to the large screen. You dont get the same perspective when viewing in a store.

No problems yet.

I don't think so. There are still to many pros and cons with each of the technologies (Plasma vs LCD). I was hopeful the SED Technology would be the answer and worth the additional price. Doesn't look like it.

I'm a newbie, and have lots to learn. I'm sure I will upgrade this unit within the next 2-3 years to take advantage of the improvements on the horizon.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic 42PX80

Reviews. Great sale price at a local store.

Good picture quality. Great price.

Nothing so far

It has every thing I need

Keep making quality products at affordable price points.

No surprises about the plasma itself. I was surprised I could get some local HD channels without a cable box (I'll get a HD digital cable box/DVR in a few days).

None so far.

A 42" plasma for under $700 is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN50a650

Side by side with 2 Panasonics and an LG in the store, it had the best picture/color, and the price enabled me to upgrade my receiver.

The picture and the size - and I kinda like the red bezel, its different.

Nothing yet - the complexity of getting a new TV, receiver, PVR, and speakers is getting me down as I cannot master all of the settings as quick as I want to.

Canadian Weblink function

Keep up the good work. Teach the people selling your product how to properly display and market your goods.

How easy to mount on stand, and no issues with IR at all.

None.

I feel that I paid a fair price, so yes.

Don't worry so much about IR, just watch your TV - don't change your viewing habits, just your how-you-walk-away from-your-TV habits.

1061 - 1080 of 2312 Posts