AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with random reboots whenever the onboard sound is used, and since I am po'r now, I'm using the onboard cmedia 9738 which is astoundingly bad anyways (I can easily tell from the previously satisfactory 8738 I used on the soyo board). This rebooting problem does not seem to be related to RAM or ps unit since crashes only happens when sound is being passed through the sound. I definitly do have an IRQ problem, but I am hesitant to switch around cards because I am using most slots and don't have give space.

here are my specs

2400+

K7s5a pro

256 ddr 2100

ata card

hipix

fusion

430 true power

w2k

Thanks for any help in advance...this seems to be a wierd problem and I cannot find others who've had this problem using google...

Darius

·
Registered
529 Posts
On-board sound chips use the CPU for processing, increasing the CPU load and its power demands.

One of the downsides of a Truepower-type design is the loss of power trade-off capability between the +3.3 and +5.0 rails.

Your board uses the +5.0 rail to power the CPU as well as all those cards.

If the reboots are sudden (ie no BSOD nor error message, just starts to POST), it indicates that the POWER-GOOD line from the PSU has dropped below threshold and the mobo reset the CPU.

Try running at 100/100 (to lower the CPU power load) and/or removing one of the HDTV cards to test the idea.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.