AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..and doesn't mind stopping by to give my TV a check. I'm new to the HD world and my first purchase, which was a couple weeks ago, was a Samsung PN50B650, and the overall picture quality just doesn't seem quite as good as it should be. I'd just like an experienced HD user's eyes to be the judge if what I have is peaking it's possibilities or not. If anyone is interested let me know, PM me and we'll swap numbers etc.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 /forum/post/16939579

..and doesn't mind stopping by to give my TV a check. I'm new to the HD world and my first purchase, which was a couple weeks ago, was a Samsung PN50B650, and the overall picture quality just doesn't seem quite as good as it should be. I'd just like an experienced HD user's eyes to be the judge if what I have is peaking it's possibilities or not. If anyone is interested let me know, PM me and we'll swap numbers etc.

High Definition is only as good as it's source. The new Samsungs look very good so i wonder if it's your HD source that is not up to par?

Who is your source for HD (TWC cable, DirecTV, FIOS, OTA, etc)?

What kind of HD STB are you using (if any)?

What are some HD channels and/or HD programs that you think aren't looking as good as they should?

Have you compared any OTA HD primetime programs or sports broadcasts to the same channels via cable/satellite?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm under TWC. I don't have a STB, just running straight off the HD cable box that was provided. Literally everything HD just doesn't have the clarity I was expexting, from all of the HD movie channels to ESPN HD etc etc, it's just not a huge step up from standard def. to my eyes. I'm not too sure what over the air channels are, I'm guessing like ABC/Fox an those standard channels?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
A couple of things you can quickly check:

Connections secure: HD cable box => HDMI or Component cable => HDTV

HD cable box: Confirm Output Resolution settings are correct.

(remote) Settings key => Display => Output resolution (Auto or 1080i and/or 720p selected)

[Based on using TWC San Diego's Scientific Atlanta HD cable box, yours should be similar]

EDIT: Component (thanks Vlad)

·
Registered
823 Posts
From my experience helping friends and relatives set up their cable boxes...

1. Use either HDMI or *component* cables to connect to the TV.

2. Configure your box to output a valid HD resolution (720p or 1080i).

3. Tune in the correct stations for HD. With cable services I've seen, the lower channel numbers (000-499, or 000-999) are allocated for SD content, while higher channel numbers (500 and up, or 1000 and up) are allocated for HD content.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have it connected through an HDMI cable, and I have the box setup to run HD channels in 1080i and SD in 480i - and honestly there's not a jaw dropping difference between a SD an HD channel.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 /forum/post/16939579

Are you Dizzy from the 905th AREFS?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 /forum/post/16944865

I have it connected through an HDMI cable, and I have the box setup to run HD channels in 1080i and SD in 480i - and honestly there's not a jaw dropping difference between a SD an HD channel.

Well then it sounds like your TWC affiliate is compressing the signal - very common in most TWC areas and usually results in a somewhat soft HD picture compared to OTA. I've seen TWC and Comcast in some OC areas and it doesn't look as good as it does in my town (we get full bitrate here from my TWC affiliate).

Do this - connect an antenna and compare the local "HD" channels over the TV's tuner to the same "HD" channel through your cable box by switching back and forth between HDMI and TV tuner. Look at shows like the local KNBC and KCBS news broadcasts at 6pm and see if the OTA versions look sharper and more "HD-like". Also compare some prime-time programming back to back. That's about the only way you're going to be able to tell if your TWC signal is getting choked down.

Oh and BTW, your HD Cable box is an STB, so you do have an STB

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 /forum/post/16944865

Try unchecking the 480i option and run everything as 1080i, see if that improves things.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know unchecking the 480i won't have anything to do with it, because when an HD channel is turned on the box resets itself to 1080i - even shows it on the upper left corner of the TV.

I'll hook up an antenna this weekend then an try that though. I'm currently on vacation out in Lake Havasu so yeah, fun fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts