AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be more specific I was wondering about HL2 and Doom III.

I read that they are DD5.1 capable. Does this mean you need the mystique or soundstorm like card to send the DD5.1 stream out over spdif/optical out?

Or does that mean any spdif/optical out on any card would work?

Basically does the software/game do it itself and send the signal out liek a dvd movie.

Or do these games still need a soundstorm like encoder to send a DD5.1 signal out?

Thanks...

We need to do away with proprietary EAX crap, just DD everything.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Very simply put:

1) the game will put raw sound into "3D channels" and describe their location relative to the listener, the environment they're played in etc,

2) EAX adds effects and combines all 3D channels into speaker channels to reflect location and environment,

3) optionally, the speaker channels are mangled into Dolby Digital.

As far as I know, there are only hardware solutions for real-time DD encoding. It would make no sense if the game did this encoding and miss out on the EAX step, so I'm not sure what they mean by a game being "DD5.1 capable". Anyway, EAX is not in competition with DD. EAX makes games sound cool and realistic!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
To be more specific, Dolby Digital Game format is proccesed by the DSP and to analog out.

Yes it's still made by dolby but in a different format. Hence, the Dolby logo on the game box. Soundstorm takes that analog 5.1 and encodes it to a DD stream to play back on your HT. Soundstorm is also EAX 2.0 compatible.

For HT gaming, yes, it is a MAJOR PLUS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.