AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, guys. I've had my M8000 for a while, and I'm sure it's a keeper. I'm ready to invest in this beast for the long haul. It's dated July, '94, by the way. Tubes seem pristine (I got it from Paul (gn2)). I have red and green filters, but never installed them.

Before having a real calibration and convergence done, I want to do as much mechanical adjusting as possible with all electronic adjustments zeroed out, but before that, I want to upgrade the signal path as far as reason and money permit.

Here's my questions:

1. What would each of you recommend?

I know there are Mike Parker's mods, but do I still contact mike, or go through Tim now? Who else should be considered?

Besides the filament voltage, which is right on the money, what else is essential, what else is suggested, what else is optional, what else is there???

What about software/firmware/"chipping", op-amp replacements, capacitor replacements, etc? Who should I get which parts from, and what is the benefit of each?

2. Which of these mods/upgrades/updates should I consider doing myself, and which should I keep my hands away from?

While I'm certainly electronics literate, and have assembled kits and done plenty of PCboard work, I'd rather have the work done by someone who's done it and can confirm the results.

3 What can be adjusted while the PJ is in the possession of whomever I take it to, proir to rehanging, and what must wait for reinstallation to be adjusted?

I'm talking coil alignments, lens adjustments (all of them), circuity trims, possible lens replacement suggestions, etc. and then bringing someone here to do the real setup, focus, astig (if mine has that), alignment, coil adjusting, grayscale, etc., etc., etc.

Do I remove boards and send them off, or ship the entire unit to one place? Is there a one-stop shop, or is this best done one piece at a time, and each piece by a different expert?

See where I'm headed? I've been reading the maintenance and other Marquee threads, but I'd rather not mess with this, as the combination of time and concern of not getting the results I'm after take precedence.

It's so hard to piece together a real plan with so much information spread out so far and wide. I don't know if I could afford to get each and every expert to come here, but I do want to know the opinions and options.

So, what should be done, in what order, and by whom? This is what I wanna know! The majority shall rule (hopefully in harmony and total agreement)!

Yes, I'm asking to be contacted by anyone who does these services. I would be happy to have answers here as well as PMs if more appropriate.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
My answer is short:

I don't do mods personally, but have installed two sets of boards into 9500LC's, and have seen a noticeable improvement.

I think the biggest step forward with your set would be to add the stigmator configuration which consists of the stigmator PC board on the back heatsink, a board on the CPU module and three new focus yokes. Whether you can actually do this to an older 8000 is questionable, (ask Tim) but that would give a big improvement to the ability of focusing.

It might just be easier to transfer your minty tubes into a later model 8500...

Curt

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

I advise software chip-up to v3.4, replacing the lithium backup battery, our E-Tech fan noise mod, and MP-modded VIM input section and MP neckboards. Figure $1500 to $1800, it can all be done by mail order. E.mail me if interested.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim, what about Curt's suggestion? There is a board on the back of the PJ with the convergence and vertical deflection plugs; there is an empty connector at one end of this board; is that what he's talking about?

Are the VIM and neck boards the only video-signal path components that matter?

What about the 8500 swap he suggested? What are the functional differences between the 8000 and 8500? Any other model worth considering for a "fusion" instead? What about capacitors?

Okay, Curt, tell me...where might I find a suggested unit that is in proper working order, except that it needs tubes? Again, what other models, and why; what is gained, and what might still need updating, ala the MP upgrades?

Anyone else suggest anything else?

What about the second half of the job?

Who can do it all: zero out the electronics, do a GREAT alignment; coils, magnets, tube convergence, raster and image setups, grayscale and other color adjustments, Avia if needed, etc?

I don't need a specific screen size, because I will just make the screen suit the final image, so optimization of best phosphor use is most important to me.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
My answer is short:

I don't do mods personally, but have installed two sets of boards into 9500LC's, and have seen a noticeable improvement.

I think the biggest step forward with your set would be to add the stigmator configuration which consists of the stigmator PC board on the back heatsink, a board on the CPU module and three new focus yokes. Whether you can actually do this to an older 8000 is questionable, (ask Tim) but that would give a big improvement to the ability of focusing.

It might just be easier to transfer your minty tubes into a later model 8500...

Curt
Hey Curt,

How's things?? I "think" I need a focus yolk for my red CRT on my 8000. How much would that run me??

I've been having problems with proper focus on that tube since I got it.

Cliff

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Larry

Sorry I did not get back to you on your several questions there. Zone active stig correction can be added to an M8000 if you source all the right bits and pieces. You need: a) the stig waveform generator board, it plugs into the top of your existing control board; b) the stig amplifier circuitry, which is either, depending on your current chassis, a convergence board with additional devices populated onto the foil layout (early version, non-hinged rear heatsink), or, the addition of a stig amp board which plugs into the side of your existing convergence board (hinged heatsink) and those exist in two versions depending on the connector type (multi-rows of pins or single row of pins). c) additionally, you would need to replace the focus yokes on each tube to those which incorporate active stigwave coils inside, as found on M8500/9500, and d) it would also be best to replace the flare/stig passive magnet assemblies on each tube neck with the flare-only version. Whew! The primary benefit to all that would be improved definition and focus out in the corners, useful to someone trying to read text from an HTPC; not that much help to those displaying video only. Let us not forget that replacing focus and flare magnet assemblies will require skilled alignment of the new yokes so rasters center up with minimal static correction for minimal convergence drift.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tim
Say Larry

Sorry I did not get back to you on your several questions there. Zone active stig correction can be added to an M8000 if you source all the right bits and pieces. You need: a) the stig waveform generator board, it plugs into the top of your existing control board; b) the stig amplifier circuitry, which is either, depending on your current chassis, a convergence board with additional devices populated onto the foil layout (early version, non-hinged rear heatsink), or, the addition of a stig amp board which plugs into the side of your existing convergence board (hinged heatsink) and those exist in two versions depending on the connector type (multi-rows of pins or single row of pins). c) additionally, you would need to replace the focus yokes on each tube to those which incorporate active stigwave coils inside, as found on M8500/9500, and d) it would also be best to replace the flare/stig passive magnet assemblies on each tube neck with the flare-only version. Whew! The primary benefit to all that would be improved definition and focus out in the corners, useful to someone trying to read text from an HTPC; not that much help to those displaying video only. Let us not forget that replacing focus and flare magnet assemblies will require skilled alignment of the new yokes so rasters center up with minimal static correction for minimal convergence drift.
So Tim, how much is that gonna cost me??

Cliff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.