AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ... I wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether it's okay to use normal custom-length cut CAT 5e/6 Ethernet cable for running it between floors through walls ..

I actually have my wireless router on ground floor (i.e. 1st floor for US folks), and its signals kinda struggle when I move floors .. So I want to run one Ethernet cable from ground floor to 1st floor, and one from ground floor to basement (where my upcoming HT room is supposed to be) .. Then one 1st floor and basement, I'll install access points ..

Problem is, I'm not in the US, and I really only have local custom-length-cut ethernet cable available .. There is a guy selling QED ethernet cables, but not only are they quite expensive, they're also on backorder so I'll have to wait like 15 days or so for them ..

So long story short, I want to know if an ordinary Ethernet cable will work well while running inside walls between floors, or if I should really wait for those QED cables ..

·
Registered
589 Posts
My electrical contractor used standard 1000'+ spools when he wired my house. That leaves me attaching the ends, but I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Short answer is yes you can, they will work just the same as any other cable you are just paying more for pre-made cables. It you intend in putting them in to Jacks that can be a little bit of an issue as some cables are easier to strip / use in jacks than others.

Another thing worth mentioning is to know if there are any rules / restrictions on cables ran inside of your walls. I know you said that you are not in the US so it might be different there but here in the US we are "Supposed" to use "Plenum" rated cables that are run in walls / ceilings which are more money.

There has to be somewhere you can get a roll of Ethernet Cable somewhere?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts