Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some older (5-10 years old) Pioneer 5.1 speakers as follows:

- 1 Center speaker - HTP102/202-CR - 100w - 8 ohms

- 2 Front speakers - HTP102-F - 100w - 8 ohms

- 2 Rear speakers - HTP102/202-CR - 50w - 16 ohms

- 1 Subwoofer - HTP102-SW - 100w - 8 ohms

I guess these speakers were made to be used in a setup that had the front L+R speaker wires run through the subwoofer... so the sub has input L+R and output L+R. I do not have the original receiver that came with this system.

I've been pushing these speakers with an old Sony "Dolby Pro" receiver bought in the 90's... it's not 5.1 but does have speaker outputs for left, right, rear left, rear right, and center. It's pretty old school, only RCA inputs. Definitely need to replace it.

I also have a 'regular old Panasonic' dvd player... it has component out and optical audio, but no hdmi etc.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:

If i want to get into the 21st century and upgrade to 5.1 audio for

- Brian

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
if you just need basic 5.1 dolby surround sound, this is a good way to get into the game
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-BLACK/1.html

if you think you will soon upgrade to Blu-ray and want the new lossless HD codecs, this is a great deal
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-BLACK/1.html

this dealer, accessories4less, is an authorized Onkyo dealer so the factor warrant for refurbished equipment is good...they also sell Marantz

Other good receivers are Yamaha and Pioneer in this price range

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... do I need to worry about the impedance of each speaker and the total wattage or will any 5.1 receiver do? Also, do I need to worry about the setup with my current speakers (as in the wiring for the L+R goes through the sub)??

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafitz /forum/post/15595774

Should I stick with Pioneer since the speakers are Pioneer? Does this even matter?

Receiver and speaker brands do not have to match.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
brand of receiver does not matter, other than features for the price and that it is a quality manufacturer

16 ohm speakers may require a little bit more gain in the setup menu on the receiver

your subwoofer may not have a "line in" RCA jack for the low frequency effects channel (the .1 in 5.1) and may not be powered with it's own subwoofer amplifier (this is not desireable today) , but the other speakers would wire directly into the back of the receiver

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Pioneer did not have a manual on-line, but your photo shows the sub only having "speaker level" audio input from the L and R output channels and it passes the higher frequency sound on to the individual L and R speakers. This is pretty useless now when each channel is driven separately. Along with your receiver, I recommend you consider a new 8" or 10" sub from Velodyne, Yamaha, or Parts Express. Even reusing your older speakers for the 5 other speakers in the system you will notice a definate improvement in the overall sound when you remove the frequencies below 80hz or so from each surround speaker and let the sub handle it.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
yes, all dolby digital 5.1/6.1/7.1 receivers has a "pre-out" unamplified RCA connector jack to supply the Dolby LFE (low frequency effects) channel. Most receivers have a couple of soundfields which also utilize the subwoofer as part of the speaker mix as well for non-dolby sources. The fact that the "subwoofer out" is unamplified means you need a powered subwoofer. This removes the demand for low frequency amplification from the receiver and puts it in the subwoofer where it belongs.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Looking at your speakers I'd recommend a full upgrade if you are planning on getting a new receiver. Mostly based upon the fronts using 2" cone tweeters and the center being a single 4" full range driver. By today's standards those are really huge flaws and very low end 5.1 speaker systems will be a large improvement. You could re-use them as a 2.1 setup in a garage or office system, or just put them up for sale on CL. You might get up to $100 for the set.

There are many different solutions here but most folks will recommend you buy a receiver and speakers separately. The most common all one brand HTIB solutions generally don't include very good speakers and the better speaker manufacturers don't make receivers.

There are viable solutions starting in the $300's (for everything) and going all the way up. The $600-800 range would be a good sweet spot for value and good performance.

Also, the sub brand does not have to match the speaker brand.

Are you open to used gear? Resale on receivers and full size tower speakers is fairly terrible. Great bargains to be had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts