AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these motherboards are the best??

Abit NF8

Asus K8N-E Deluxe

Chaintech VNF3-250

DFI LANParty UT nF3

MSI K8N Neo Platinum

All of them are based on old nForce3 250gb chipsets and socket 754 Athlon 64 processors. I'm putting together an ultra budget semi-retro-classic PC. I purchased the famed Athlon64 3200+ Venice E6 stepping for $30 and am planning to overclock my CPU like crazy in a Raidmax Astro Black. Any suggestions to a 754 heatsink also?

The Chaintech board would be my first choice, and it aesthetically looks the best. Forgive me if I'm skunking up the place with this old crap but any advice from the wise AMD oldhead would be appreciated.

p.s. Would a SD DVD/Music Library HTPC be possible with a 3200+ and a 9800pro? Any chance of HD playback?

Thanks a million.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
SD and music should be a piece of cake without any need to overclock.

Unless you will be getting a newer ATI or NVIDIA graphics card (unlikely since you said this is a low budget build) HD will be impossible to do.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
When you ask about HD playback, if you are referring to Blu-ray or HD DVD, I agree with Smitty2k1. However, if you mean MPEG2 HD playback (e.g., HDTV) you will probably be OK with a software player, such as TheaterTek.

For around $100, you can get an ATI 2600 that will handle VC1 and AVC, so then you would have no problem with Blu-ray and HD DVD.

-Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm considering it...although all the ATX HTPC cases I've come across are downright ugly. The Zalman 160XT looks good but it costs more than all my old components combined. As a matter of fact the only HTPC case I like is the the Antec Veris Fusion Black 430 mATX for $200 but worth it in my opinion. I guess I could make it work with this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131549

It would be nice to have a nForce3 250gb Micro ATX instead of a VIA though...I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Also how much space would I need for say 100 DVD's and 350 CD's? Is the Sapphire Theatrix 650 Pro is a decent Tv Tuner?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts