AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All –

I apologize if this has been covered. I have an old amp that I just pulled out of storage and I want to connect a new small sub that has no speaker level inputs (I don’t have the sub yet) . The amp has no pre-outs or sub-out.

The amp does have zone “A” and “B” that I can run at the same time.

I have 2 small bookshelf speakers on zone “A” .

Can I send full range audio from the “B” connections on the AMP via speaker wire and banana /phono RCA plugs to the SUB R/L inputs and just set the sub to cross or filter at 80Hz or 100 Hz with the dial on the back of thesub? – I have no base management in this AMP.

Will this work correctly?

Thanks!

JJK

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
It would be safer to use an attenuator. Otherwise you might damage the subwoofer input stage or volume control with too much signal, or if you use a bridge mode on the amp that could be dangerous too.

In any case the signal from speaker out is at too high a voltage and might overdrive the subwoofer input, depending on how the input is designed, particularly if there is an active buffer before the input attenuator (not likely IMO but still a possibility).

There are many such attenuators available with various features and capability. Here is one:

http://www.amazon.com/Russound-RUS-ADP1-2-Speaker-Line-Level/dp/B00G63FXCA

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
PS for your setup you might also consider such attenuator that is actually designed as a passive high-pass crossover for the mains too, so that you are not driving the same bass from mains and sub simultaneously. Depends on the capability of the amp and speakers i.e. if the sub is just a helper not a subwoofer, and how picky you are about technical correctness. Sorry, I did not check the devices available but I suspect there is such animal available somewhere.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply - I ended up getting a Grace Digital GDI-BTAR513 amp to save on space. It works great with an airport express, psb subseries 100, and PSB Image B4s for the den - its only a 10x10 ft space -
I was going to get one of the larger "all in one" airplay speakers but think this is a better way to go for about the same $$

Thanks again,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts