AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old Athlons can now use FFdshow to resize to > 2.8 X DVD!

I tried out the new October release of FFdshow and I was really surprised at the performance I was getting from my regular old Athlon 3200+. There are now 3 versions of FFdshow. There is an SSE2 version for P4s and Athlon 64s, a regular version for anything that can’t use SSE, and now there is an SSE version for those of us with Athlons! Now with the SSE version I am able to resize to over 2.8X DVD resolution and I use Denoise3D with VMR9. I get no tearing or stuttering but my computer is just about maxed out. Right now I am using a resolution of 1344x2016. Should I use this resolution with an aspect ratio of 1.5 or should I try to use an aspect ratio of 16:9 which matches my screen resolution. Anyway give the new FFdshow a try even if you don’t have a super computer. You will be impressed with the results now!

New October versions of FFdshow.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can resize to 2160x1920 lanczos with this version, while using denoised3 hq, elecard decoders, vmr9, and no problems. I have my mobile barton at 2.5 right now and this setup uses ~80% cpu with spikes to near 90% on high motion, but no studdering or tearing. I still have room to push my system since it is stable over 2.7ghz, so I would say this is a good release.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I have been running 1920 x 1280 with my 2600+ anyway but I'll take any performance increase / CPU reduction that is offered.

cetoole:

Tell me about the AMD mobility CPU's. Are they locked? I guess not. They seem to overclock better than the desktop Athlons. Can you point me to a reference and which mobile chip is most desirable? I have A7N8X mobo.

DFA

·
Registered
106 Posts
DFA:
Quote:
Tell me about the AMD mobility CPU's. Are they locked? I guess not. They seem to overclock better than the desktop Athlons. Can you point me to a reference and which mobile chip is most desirable? I have A7N8X mobo.
2600 mobile (unlocked stock FSB 133(all XP mobiles are stock 133 FSB) , multi=15 (2 GHz), Vcore 1.45V) Newegg sells em for about 100 bucks.

Mine OC's to 2.58 GHz (215*12) on an ABIT NF-7Sr2 with Corsair 3200LL with tight memory tiimings on one of Tictacs modded BIOSs. I could get more but there seems to be no point.

The only drawback of A7N8X is you can't get Vcore below 1.575V, while the 2600m is a stock 1.45 volt chip and many will get you to 2.2-2.3 below 1.575 Volts.

For running at 10x and 10.5x multis and best FSB overclocks of the 2600m on an A7N8X you may need a modded BIOS including L12 bridge mod.

Trats has created modded versions of AN8D1008 for the ASUS boards

with the L12, cpc-onoff versions etc. Look at Senor Panadero's huge sticky for the ASUS boards
here

cheers

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, I'm been using the new one (SSE) for a few days and I'm amazed at how light it is. Of course, I immediately started tweaking, adding more fuel to the fire!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just remember with mobile xp processors, although they are speced out to 1.45v they can actually take the normal 1.65v just fine. they were tested and stable enough to run at the desired speed at 1.45v however thus they are the cream of the crop of XP processors. I got a 2500+ (1.8ghz) up to 2.3ghz at 1.65v with a 400mhz bus. It could go even higher but I dont want to exceed 1.65v and my memory timing are maxed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
chindman is right, Tictac is god for overclocking with all of those bios he mods. I am using one of his on my AN7, and it got me from 180fsb to 230, with 240 being instable due to incorrect vtt tracking above 2.8v on the vdimm. My BH-5 needs those volts, so when a mod is figured out, I should be above 250.

·
Registered
48 Posts
heh. I read this thread thinking "wow, do you mean my old Athlon might be able to even USE FFDShow?"

Of course, my old Athlon is a 1.2Ghz, compared to the original poster's "old" 3200+ Athlon :)

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by losfp
heh. I read this thread thinking "wow, do you mean my old Athlon might be able to even USE FFDShow?"

Of course, my old Athlon is a 1.2Ghz, compared to the original poster's "old" 3200+ Athlon :)
Give it a try you might get something out of it? Probably not 2.8 X DVD but you never know.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I've got a Compaq laptop with a mobile XP2500. Can I take out that processor and overclock the heck out of it?

I have already been overclocking my standard XP2500 to FSB202MHz on an A7N8X Deluxe.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You might be able to take out the chip to use in your desktop, but there are some chips that are the same size as desktop chips and some that are much smaller. If it is a 45 watt that looks the same as your desktop chip, it will work, but your laptop wont. You can buy mobile chips for around $80 from places like Newegg.

·
Registered
106 Posts
losfp:
Quote:

Of course, my old Athlon is a 1.2Ghz, compared to the original poster's "old" 3200+ Athlon
You probably have an old T-Bird CPU. These are not SSE chips so you

won't be able to run the 20041012 version of ffdshow. For about $75 you could get a 2400m and could run it if you MB and BIOS will support the new chip.

good luck

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Combined with the Dscaler decoder, this version has put some life back into the old dog (2400+)!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_A_W
Combined with the Dscaler decoder, this version has put some life back into the old dog (2400+)!
I agree with you Mark, DScaler5 and this version of ffdshow are a great combo for us Barton users. After seeing my CPU usage drop to about 65%, I decided to a little extra "tweaking" in ffdshow. :D CPU is back up to 75-80% but man does the picture look good!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Have you guy's tried Jul 7 version?

2 x PAL (1440 x 1152, lancoz set to 10) with gradual denoise (very suttle) and tomcomp delace)

75-80% CPU on Athlon 2400XP (tbird)

The version mentioned here 100% cpu the heaps of dropped frames.

Give it a shot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jeez, i must be behind. I've got a mobile barton OCed to 2.4 (it does 2.5 just fine, but 2.4 i can keep BELOW 1.65, and the speed is fine)in my GAMING machine.

My poor little HTPC just has a 1700XP. I've never been able to run FFDSHOW resize at all. I may give this version a shot anyway, at least to try it with the Dscaler decoder and see how it runs.

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up another mobile 2500 for the HTPC as it can run a quiter fan at 1.45v.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Which jul 7 version Spoonfed? One on Sourceforge, or AnyIEG's one?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.