AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared the new digital transfer/special edition DVD of Blue Velvet yet? Does it look and sound significantly better than the original DVD? Worth having both?

Skip Hunt

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Skip,

Being a huge David Lynch fan I ran out to get the new special edition today. I think this is one of Mr. Lynch's best films...packed with tons of great images and performances...especially by Dennis Hopper...and a priceless appearance by Dean Stockwell.

If you already own that first dvd release I don't think you're going to see a big improvement with this transfer. I wish Blue Velvet had been shot a bit differently as it has an apparent soft look to it...that's just the way it is.

If you like extras...then this is a must purchase! Included is a 70 minute documentary that looks great and is filled with many new interviews (except for old inserted interview segments with Lynch). There are also some deleted still montages that try to recapture the huge amount of lost material from the film. It's also funny to see an excerpt from Ebert and Siskels movie review where Roger Ebert makes his "opinion" clear.

Howie

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Skip I would like to help you but I don't own it, what I would like is they guy that sang Blue Velvet to on a concert DVD disc. Bobby Vinton last concert that I seen him in was the Bloomsburg, PA Annual State Fair. We (wife) were camping on top of the mountain overlooking the fair circa 1971.

:)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The documentary is worth the upgrade. The first 5 or 10 mins are kind of fluff, but after that it goes into some great detail. It's very well done and several notches above the interviews for Artisan's Twin Peaks box set. I no longer own the first DVD, but from my previewing this version looks less compressed, appears to have less EE (I'm working from memory) and appears darker. Lynch seems to really like his films presented on DVD looking very dark. I haven't given the soundtrack a critical listen yet.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I noticed a bit more color - the red, white and blue of the sky, picket fence and roses looked more vibrant - and the black level was better. The same softness appears on both transfers, which makes me think that's the best it's gonna look until hi def.

Anyone else notice the two little blemishes just left of center starting at the opening shot of the sky, roses, etc. and appears throughout the opening until the hospital scene?

Cheers,

Flexx

Visit The CineFlexx
http://members.aol.com/beautymarkstudio/Home.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.