AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an older Bose Acoustimas 5 Series 2 front speakers, Bose rear speakers, and an Energy EC100 center speaker. A rear speaker is going out, so I need to either replace it or maybe look at a set of newer speakers.

I read a good review on the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. Would this be an improvement over my current system? I mainly use them for Home Theatre. I have an Onkyo SR706 receiver.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjdf /forum/post/18139886

I read a good review on the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. Would this be an improvement over my current system?

I'm willing to wager 99% of the members would agree the Take Classic would be an improvement over the Bose Acoustimas system. You'll hear sounds you've never heard before

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjdf /forum/post/18139886

I currently have an older Bose Acoustimas 5 Series 2 front speakers, Bose rear speakers, and an Energy EC100 center speaker. A rear speaker is going out, so I need to either replace it or maybe look at a set of newer speakers.

I read a good review on the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. Would this be an improvement over my current system? I mainly use them for Home Theatre. I have an Onkyo SR706 receiver.

Thanks!

do they have to be tiny satellites? IMO you won't get a super meaningful upgrade until your speakers go down to 80hz.

That said, Energy Micro or mini series would be a better bet.

Ron

·
Registered
472 Posts
I disagree. You'll get an absolutely meaningful upgrade from Bose to almost anything else. I say this not as a bandwagon Bose-basher, but as a former owner. Years ago I had the Acoustimass 5 and thought it was ths sh** until I decided to upgrade. First one was to little Athena Micras and then to Energy Take SATs then went off the wall to Energy TWR. The upgrade to a sub (from that awful 'bass module' box) will be the biggest stunner. Budget-minded Dayton and BIC would be good choices. I went with a lower-end Velodyne. Check the Subwoofer forum, spend more if you have it

If you like the sound/look/cost of the Energy, by all means it will be an upgrade. Not to say you can't do better...everybody likes to spend everyone else's money. For sure though match the front three speakers. That alone will make many systems sound better.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublefan /forum/post/18142208

I disagree. You'll get an absolutely meaningful upgrade from Bose to almost anything else. I say this not as a bandwagon Bose-basher, but as a former owner. Years ago I had the Acoustimass 5 and thought it was ths sh** until I decided to upgrade. First one was to little Athena Micras and then to Energy Take SATs then went off the wall to Energy TWR. The upgrade to a sub (from that awful 'bass module' box) will be the biggest stunner. Budget-minded Dayton and BIC would be good choices. I went with a lower-end Velodyne. Check the Subwoofer forum, spend more if you have it

If you like the sound/look/cost of the Energy, by all means it will be an upgrade. Not to say you can't do better...everybody likes to spend everyone else's money. For sure though match the front three speakers. That alone will make many systems sound better.

You are right about the sub being the real upgrade. I can find the Bose sub blindfolded.

Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, you've convinced me to scrap the Bose :). I'm now debating between the Energy Take 5's with BIC V1220 sub or the HSU VT-12's with the HSU STF-1 sub. The speakers will be used mostly for HT.

Thanks to all for weighing in on this!!

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjdf /forum/post/18145715

Ok, you've convinced me to scrap the Bose :). I'm now debating between the Energy Take 5's with BIC V1220 sub or the HSU VT-12's with the HSU STF-1 sub. The speakers will be used mostly for HT.

I would lean towards the Ventriloquists. They are 1db more efficient and have a bigger center. Only thing I don't like is that the satellites have ABS rather than MDF cases. I'm curious about the Ventriloquist EQ--never heard it. The STF-2 sub is only $20 more and would be a better choice than the STF-1. Also, I'd like to know what the drivers are made of, but Hsu doesn't seem to advertise this. Money back guarantee, and priced right, so definitely worth an inhome audition. Wouldn't cost much to ship the satellites and center back. The sub should be a keeper and would mate well with the Take Classics if you decided to go that route.

I know a lot of people like the BIC V1220 as well, and it can be had a closeout prices now. Hard to find any true measurements of this sub, though, which makes me suspicious.

Have you considered SVS as well? They make excellent subwoofers and have deals on packaged systems, too. Going to cost a bit more, though, than the options you've identified.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I still have my Bose SE5, these are the ones with the fixed angle. IMO they have a poor sound because they are in those plastic cabnets.

When i was rearanging my room i took down this shelf that was in the direct path as the one off axis and i was actualy shocked how well they sounded when my walls were bare and not blocking the sound. The reflecting sound was kinda cool. Im still impressed with how well they have aged also. They wernt cheap in their day but still they are one of the oldest speakers ive ever owned that still actualy work.

Ide like to put the drivers into some better cabnets and see how they sound.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/18146468

I still have my Bose SE5, these are the ones with the fixed angle. IMO they have a poor sound because they are in those plastic cabnets.

When i was rearanging my room i took down this shelf that was in the direct path as the one off axis and i was actualy shocked how well they sounded when my walls were bare and not blocking the sound. The reflecting sound was kinda cool. Im still impressed with how well they have aged also. They wernt cheap in their day but still they are one of the oldest speakers ive ever owned that still actualy work.

Ide like to put the drivers into some better cabnets and see how they sound.

Bose uses cheap drivers. You would be wasting your time.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/18150405

Bose uses cheap drivers. You would be wasting your time.

maybe now they do but back then?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/18156898

maybe now they do but back then?

I had Bose 301s from the late 80's and they were really cheap paper woofers. They sounded OK, but for the same amount of money you could buy a much better speaker. They were given to me and I used them for a few years. Once I replaced them I messed with them a little. I stuck my finger through the woofer with no problem at all. I was actually shocked how easy it was to pierce the woofer.

You would be better buying new from one of the many speaker part distributors online. DIY thread has a bunch of them. You don't need to spend a lot.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/18157656

I had Bose 301s from the late 80's and they were really cheap paper woofers. They sounded OK, but for the same amount of money you could buy a much better speaker. They were given to me and I used them for a few years. Once I replaced them I messed with them a little. I stuck my finger through the woofer with no problem at all. I was actually shocked how easy it was to pierce the woofer.

You would be better buying new from one of the many speaker part distributors online. DIY thread has a bunch of them. You don't need to spend a lot.

Well ide believe that, they are just 301s Those were like $150. a pair i think. The SE5 was close to $900. The bass module with the SE5 had some cheap woofers in it i ditched those early but the cube speakers still look decent now. You maybe right though, they still maybe junk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.