AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a new problem I am having with my old 20HD (PLV-70). The bulb in it burst a few weeks ago. I had it remanufactured by Joppru (goo results in the past). In the mean time I put back in my original OEM bulb. When I got my lamp back from Joppru, it would light for about 5 minutes, and then the bulb would turn off and the fan would kick into high gear. Well, I just figured the bulb was not quite right and put my OEM bulb back in, planning on shipping the reman'd bulb back to have it redone.

Well, now a long weekend later, and my OEM bulb is doing the same thing. Turns on for a short bit and then goes black. When it works it is plenty bright, but then it just goes out.

So, before I pay to ship the bulb back, has my projector just decided to die? Or did my OEM bulb just happen to die in the same manner that the reman'd bulb did? I checked all of the filters and they are clean (I check them fairly regularly.) I also opened up the whole projector and blew out the fans, though nothing was really dusty inside the housing. So I think air flow is good.

Again, I'll send the bulb back to be looked at if that is the problem, but no point throwing good money after bad if the projector is dead.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
55 Posts
There's a good chance it's just coincidence that the OEM bulb is also near the end of it's life, perhaps exacerbated by the stress of being turned on after a year in storage.

I've been through 7 bulbs (10K+ hours on the PLV-70), and three ended their useful life with the same symptoms as yours currently have.

(Of the others, 1 exploded violently and the other 3 just don't turn on at all, which I gather is the most common fate of end-of-life bulbs).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts