AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in setting up a home theater and since I'm a novice without much of a budget am trying to see if anything I currently have is worth throwing into the mix. I've got two Cerwin Vega RE 25's that I bought in 97 that are still in good condition after making it through the party years. Can I use these as at least the front speakers in a surround setup or am I better off getting all matching speakers in the rotation?

If I did keep these, what exactly are the other components I would need and which would you recommend (told you i'm a novice)??? If someone can help me out and maybe list these "others" in order of most crucial I'd be more then appreciative. Thanks in advance to any that post, AVS Forum kicks some serious ass! :)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
What's your budget for speakers? What are the dimensions of your HT room? What receiver will you be using?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Budget is in the $500 range for now, but should be able to expand the setup over the next couple of years. room is about 12 x 15, but not completely enclosed by walls. Have a really old Pioneer receiver without many inputs, probably will have to replace.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
If you want to watch DVDs, your old Pioneer probably won't be up to it; you'll need a digital receiver. What's your budget for your receiver + speakers? An inexpensive way to go about this is to buy used or close out models. You definitely will want to use your Cerwin Vegas either for your mains or surrounds so you'll have more money to put into your other speakers. There's a Dayton sub that's inexpensive but very popular if you're considering a sub. Reply with a budget for your receiver and speakers to help get this narrowed down.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I appreciate your feedback---total budget right now is around $600 for all purchasing--however, I don't mind adding equipment as money comes in to spend. I guess receiver needs to be first....

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Here's what I suggest you do:

- Buy a really cheap new or used standard DVD player, or buy a new OPPO upscaling DVD player (best if you have a big screen). Be sure to ask for help in the DVD standard resolution forum.

- Buy a cheap, used or B-stock Dolby Digital receiver (make sure it has "phantom mode"). Be sure to ask for help in the receiver forum.

- Buy a new Dayton sub. Be sure to ask for help in the subwoofer forum.

- Set your speakers to small through your receiver's settings and the crossover to 80 Hz or whatever works best with your Cerwin Vegas. You also may need to set the crossover on your sub.

- Buy some inexpesive 14 guage "oxygen free" speaker wire locally or online.

- Run your Cerwin Vegas as you mains in "phantom mode", that is, without a center channel.

This will give you a decent 2.1 system to get you started. You will be better off adding more speakers later on. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have a set of cw re30 that i use as rear sp and they are close timber wise with my front nht 2.5i. i used to use them in the front and they did great for movies, one particular gunshot in saving private ryan at point blank range was incredible the volume. i didn't think they could get that loud and not break. my nht was not able to recreate that shot with the amp i've got. use them up front until you decide on your new fronts. if your new fronts have a metal tweeter you may want to keep them, or you might just buy 3 more re25 for around $100 each used.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome, thanks for all of the advice---should I look to get a center channel speaker as well soon, or is it not necessary??

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan E Laruso
should I look to get a center channel speaker as well soon, or is it not necessary??
No, you should get set up with either a 2.0 or 2.1 system first. You can buy the sub now, later or not at all if you don't think you need one. If your receiver has a phantom mode, you won't need a center channel. Of course you may find you will want to use one; most use 3 speakers up front.

However, if you're not careful buying a center channel, don't be surpised if you then find you like the phantom mode with your Cerwin Vegas better. And if you're going to buy a center, you'll want it to match your mains (more money) and move your Cerwin Vegas to use as surrounds. The reason I'm suggesting you proceed this way is so hopefully later you will be able to allot more money to buy 3 good front speakers or maybe 5 speakers to run without your Cerwin Vegas. Your Cerwin Vegas are pretty decent, but I read they're 6 ohm. They may not drive too easily with an underpowered receiver (check out the receiver forum). Your new (or used) front 3 speakers or 5 speakers more than likely will be 8 ohm and much easier to drive.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, sounds good 1Time, you've really been a huge help. I know this site is a tremendous reference point for everything tech., but do you know of any good books or sources out there to learn the basics...(i.e. speakers for dummies or something) I'd really like to learn some of these things you refer to in more detail.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
You can find plenty of info by using a search engine like google(dot)com. I just did a search for "home theater basics" and came up with a ton of stuff. Just be aware that some of the info out there is out dated, and/or doesn't represent the full spectrum of available options, and/or is geared toward trying to get you to buy stuff that you may not need or is being replaced by better stuff. The Consumer Reports book that just came out has some basic info that might help. Of course it would be best to post back on AVS for opinions and help before buying. AudioReview(dot)com has reviews that are helpful to read too. You're welcome.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time
It would be far better to have the front 3 be of the same line of speakers.
I agree with 1Time on this. The rear speakers can be whatever since it's only about 10 or 15% of the soundtrack. You want the main and center to all match since they need to blend to get a seamless soundstage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have seen refurbed re-30 for something like $300 shipped on ebay maybe from cerwin vega. it's been over a year. they would match perfect. however you would need a powerful receiver capable of 4 ohm loads. hk 335 or 435 whatever you can find cheep b stock or refurb at the time. try to get one with preamp outputs (very important). marantz is also good.

save money on your sub by buying used. get the best sub you can afford it is very important. think svs,or sunfire.

you should be able to find a c-v center with the exact same tweeter as your re-25, if you want to go that route. you have had the re-25 for almost 10 years so you should know by now if you like them. like i said my re-30's outperform my nht 2.5i in some areas. they have a tremendous presence and would be great for movies. if you find them to be hard on your ears after extended listening you may need some room treatments (sound proofing) at the usual spots. if you decide to move up the speaker food chain nht is a good place to start looking.

have fun

grady

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time
It would be far better to have the front 3 be of the same line of speakers.
Do you mean same models within CV?

IMHO, I think that given the speakers he already has and budget contstraints that using a new CV Center would be fine with the older CV speakers he already has.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gmarcotte, were you referring to using the CV 30 as rear speakers or instead of the 25's....I'll find try to find another receiver with the specs you had mentioned, just gotta try to figure out exactly what those terms mean a little better too---- :eek:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy sabre
Do you mean same models within CV?

IMHO, I think that given the speakers he already has and budget contstraints that using a new CV Center would be fine with the older CV speakers he already has.
Mismatching speakers of course can be done, but it's a compromise I don't recommend. Anyway, building a 2.0 or 2.1 system should retain the option to try out a center channel. And then if the center channel can be returned, it likely wouldn't cost much to try it. I wouldn't though. The drivers are surely mismatched and even the impedances are mismatched. If a guy's going to lay out money for a system, I won't be recommending that compromise.

The only center I would consider acceptable for use with these Cerwin Vegas would be the one original model that was meant to be used with them as a center channel, which I assume is not worth looking for. I would sooner recommend a a usable 2.0 or 2.1 system over a compromise that basically takes funds away from investing in a nicer front 3 speakers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i took a look at the c-v website and i found out the re-20 and re-25 have the same tweeter but the re-30 and re-38 use a different tweeter so you may want to stay with the re20 and or re25 if you can find them and it does not look like they made a center to go with them. so unless you have room on top of your tv for an re-20 you will have to look for something different in the front. there was a newer model i saw for sale at sears a couple years back that have since been discontinued and may be cheep these days and most likely have a center designed to work with them. i don't know much about the newer c-v's but what ever you get should work with your re-25's in the rear unless wildly different. this opens up your options. remember, think used. i have seen $2000 speaker pairs sell for little over $400. only problem is finding a center to go with those $400 mirage m1.

grady

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.