Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm attempting to set up a home theater (well, apartment theater) system for my college place. We're getting a quality RPTV or plasma and want to complement it with a nice audio setup. I'd say we'll use it for 75% TV, 15% video games, and 10% movies, and every now and then for music when we host parties.

My friend found the following Definitive Tech setup on Craigslist: 2x BP-8 fronts, 2x BP-2x surrounds, and Procenter C2 center. We can get this for

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
If the speakers are in good condition that seems like a good price. I have def techs and am very happy with them. I guess you would have to trust your friends judgement and hope your taste in speakers is similar. You would have money left for a good sub too.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportz
Hi,

I'm attempting to set up a home theater (well, apartment theater) system for my college place. We're getting a quality RPTV or plasma and want to complement it with a nice audio setup. I'd say we'll use it for 75% TV, 15% video games, and 10% movies, and every now and then for music when we host parties.

My friend found the following Definitive Tech setup on Craigslist: 2x BP-8 fronts, 2x BP-2x surrounds, and Procenter C2 center. We can get this for

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by point_and_shoot
Maybe I am missing something but that seems like a steal! Assuming the speakers are ALL in good condition.
Yes, that is a concern. With 5 oldish speakers, there's a decent chance at least one isn't looking or sound too great. Am I correct in assuming you think I'd be hard pressed to find anything of equal or greater value in this price range? If that's the case I'll tell my friend to give them an audition (I don't know if you can call listening to $400 of equipment auditioning?). I'm a bit wary of the speakers, however, as some people on audioreview complain of muddy mids and shrill highs. Then again, I suppose the price is right.

Any suggestions or links to threads for alternatives

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'd have to go along w/ what the others said. Definitely audition them, if there not damaged, that would be a real good deal (providing you like def techs). I have some def techs (not my primary system) but I like em. At that price you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal imo. Like bartman said you could use the extra $ for a good sub, you gotta have a sub...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, but it looks like my friend has decided that he's an audiophile and wants to spend a lot more of his own money on our setup.

BTW if anyone else is interested in these speakers, check out craigslist Chicago.

Cheers,

Justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.