AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Has anyone recently compared an old flagship receiver to a new mid-level one? I don’t have a place that will let me take one home so while I can demo in showrooms, I can’t compare in my own home theater.

Currently, I have a B&K AVR 507 and I’m thinking of upgrading but I can’t afford a top of the line receiver again. I’m looking at the Onkyo TX-NR1010 right now. I chose that because of the Audyssey XT32. I don’t want to buy a new Blu-ray player that has analog outs and I really want the room correction software. I also thought about the Anthem MRX 300 but it has MUCH less power than my 507. So my questions are:

How would the 1010 compare to my B&K 507?

What about legacy formats? Would regular DD and DTS sound as good?

Does room correction make that much of a difference?

Please don’t limit responses comparing the TX-NR1010 to the 507 but any old flagship to any current mid-level receiver.

Thank you in advance for your replies. I’m really on the fence with this.

Bill

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Many midrange receivers have problems driving "difficult" (e.g. 4 ohm) speaker systems. If they don't specifically support 4 ohm speakers, they often will go into auto-protection mode (i.e. shut down) when trying to provide high sound levels. The 1010's "4 ohm" setting limits the maximum sound level by reducing the maximum output voltage. This might or might not make any difference to you.

Decoding of DD and DTS audio tracks is standardized, so there shouldn't be any difference there. However, modern ProLogic decoders provide adjustments not available in older designs. (B&K doesn't seem to have the 507's manual online any more, so I dunno if it includes the ProLogic Music soundstage adjustments.)

Room equalization software usually makes a substantial improvement in sound quality when comparing equipment with it to equipment without it. However, the instructions provided in most receiver manuals are overly simplified and don't provide any help if the EQ'd sound sounds worse. The AVS Audyssey FAQ helps a lot in those situations. http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993

I hope these comments help a little.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Just a thought but if you look at the Pioneer Elite line they have gone to D3 amps across the board and handle low impedance loads with ease or so its been my experience although it does not have XT32 it does have MCACC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.