AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if ESPN has any plan on doing anything similar to what NBA-TV does with old basketball games and converting some of the filmed football classics into HD? (When they get their full setup going)

I'm watching the Broncos vs. Browns "The Drive" classic, and I would love to see this in HD. Is it possible to convert games like these to HD?

Maybe eventually an ESPNHD Classic channel? :)

Edit: This would apply to other sports too.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, can a moderator please move this to HDTV programming?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
They might have access to the 1st season of MNF, but that might be about it. Don't forget that Basketball is played serveral days a week by each team in the league, football is single game per week. So there is likely a high volume of recorded games for the NBA.

BTW: I bet NFL films would look great in HD. I know those aren't full games, but still.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Starting on November 11th the new NFL channel will be operational with DirecTV and will be airing some HDTV programming. Who knows how much of the older films they'll transfer to HD for HD airing, maybe a lot, maybe none, we'll see soon!

Check the programming synopsis for more information.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I sent an e-mail to NFL FILMS through their website inquiring as to whether or not they would be airing any "classic" NFL FILMS stuff in HD on the NFL Channel. This was the somewhat canned response:

Thanks for contacting NFL FILMS. Every Wednesday from 9:00 - 10:00 PM on NFL Network, NFL FILMS Presents: The Game of the Week lets fans relive Sunday's most exciting game in High Definition. More than just a three-minute recap, this 60-minute review uses cutting-edge technology to examine all the key personnel match-ups, outstanding performances and pivotal plays as NFL Films signature slow-motion cinematography and sideline sound give fans a unique and in-depth perspective of how the game was won - and lost - that cannot be seen anywhere else but on NFL FILMS Presents - Game of the Week.

At this point, I'll take all the NFL I can get in HD. :D

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I believe I read on the NFL Network site that NFL films is in the process of converting their films to HD not sure how many and how long before we see any of these films.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StreetPreacher
NFL Films, are those 16 or 35mm?

And slightly off topic, is 16mm film suitable for HDTV?

-Sp
Probably more suitable for HDTV than plain old 480i SDTV :)

If the result of the Hogan's Heroes transfers on HDNET is any indication of what we may see, I think there is a lot to be excited about with this.

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StreetPreacher
And slightly off topic, is 16mm film suitable for HDTV?
It depends on how it was shot and the quality of the film. In the middle 90's Sony and CBS ran some 16mm tests and it was not promising for many of those shows to go HD. To cut costs, they used cheap methods to produce those programs and in HD, it shows. I don't know if anyone has any ideas how many might be able to be transfered or which ones. If I remember correctly, NFL Films has always shot with 35mm and is now converting to 1080 24f video tape for archive.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
If I remember correctly, NFL Films has always shot with 35mm and is now converting to 1080 24f video tape for archive.
Yup, and NFL Films has some great old stuff in the can that we can expect to see in the future.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. That is great that they are converting to that.

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaggeto
Wow. That is great that they are converting to that.
They started either last year or 2001 I forget which. I also forgot how long they said it would take but it was YEARS to get it all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.