Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using one of these?

I've got a good line one a gently used 32" model. I would be using the unit 50% for DVD, 30% for games, 20% for web/productivity, and certainly wouldn't mind being able to sit back on the couch (4-5 foot viewing distance) with a wireless keyboard to do so.

I'm looking to see if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with them and was wondering about average lifetime of these units and how easy they are to use (picture adjustments and so on).

Thanks,

Kensai

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I'm using the 27" Gateway destination monitor that can do up to 800x600 resolution. It's got only a VGA input, and stereo speakers (pretty bad, but they work fine for TV). No remote.

I'm not doing the HTPC thing (too much trouble), but am using it with a viewsonic VB50 for watching cable TV, a skyworth DVD player for DVDs, and a Zenith HDV420 for OTA HDTV. This unit has no problem syncing to a 1080i signal.

The major hassle is no remote control, and that I need to play with the set geometry when switching between sources (to squeeze down the image for widescreen material) since it seems to have problems remembering settings when switching resolutions. If you're running a computer at a fixed resolution, this won't be a problem.

The geometry isn't perfect. There is some bowing in the middle on the bottom third or so of the screen, which is mostly noticible on CNN tickers and such. The raster on HDTV seems to get compressed towards the sides of the screen, which looks a little funny when there are pans.

However, for the $300 I paid for this thing, I'm not complaining about it's shortcomings too much. At some point, when I have more $$$, I'll probably get a 34" widescreen set. If you can get it for cheap, it's probably a good deal. I've had mine for two years now, and have had zero problems. I purchased it as a refurb from Computer Geeks, and it came looking brand new.

One thing to be sure of: some of the Gateway units only do 640x480 resolution, which isn't even enough for DVD, and is way too little for even casual web surfing.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jckessler,

That's an excellent report. Thanks. And I have verified that the unit is 800x600 capable which is the bare minimum I'd be able to put up with. I'll be using it with a home office/HTPC, so what few issues you've reported should be closer to non-issues for me.

Kensai

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.