AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Athlon 64 2.2Ghz system with 4gb of ram and I was wondering if in conjunction with a Radeon 5670 if it would be able to handle hd playback in windows 7.

I was planning on building a new htpc but since I had this sitting around I figured outside of an htpc case which I already have and a video card it might be enough of a stop gap while I build a separate media server instead of using my main computer for media distribution. Currently I've got it streaming media to a 360,a PS3 and two other PCs so it's noticeable and annoying when multiple people start watching videos.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Provided the program you use to watch or replay HDTV content makes use of the hardware acceleration capabilities of the 5670 you should have not trouble at all.

Apparently you currently have a network bandwidth issue when multiple user's are obtaiining TV video from the PC concurently which is undestandable even if you are using all wired connections to your router.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hrmm good point on the software I never even looked into that.

As the the rest it's mainly from people pulling 4 HD streams at once from the same harddrive and sometime the same file but I'm sure it does somewhat tax my gigabit network. The way I have it setup the recent stuff get's copied to my main drive then when I get around to it I sort it and normally move it to the raid array but since the raid array is full It just chills on the data drive.

It's setup this way because I had to RMA my system drive right around the time Windows 7 launched and didn't want to wait around for it come back so I just reinstalled Windows on the 2tb data drive which is plenty fast normally.

I figure I can use my old Antec900 case with some (10ish) hotswap bays and an am3 system as a good starting server and maybe a good place for a centon tuner card in a few months or a nice SAS raid card.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Even if you have a gigabit all wired network recognize that your router can only send or receive content from another network location at a time. Also since every tranmission is acknowledged by a receiving location before the next tranmission is sent the actual bandwidth available for the transmission of content is a lot less then 1 GB.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It doesn't matter when using RAID, but is your data drive formatted in 64k clusters. It makes a huge difference when streaming to multiple clients from a single drive.

BB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.