AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been out of touch lately with the latest videocards and need some advice on an upgrade path.

CPU - E6550 - OC to 3.1GHz

MB - Asus P5K

Memory - 4GB

Videocard - ATI Radeon 2600HD

Sound - Onboard SPDIF

Projector - Benq W500 720p

Receiver - Yamaha HTR6060

Speakers - Paradigm Millenia all around. Ultracube 12 Sub

I use this computer strictly for Movie Watching. I can play 1080p mkv files fine so I have no intention of upgrading the CPU.

I have a spare Nvidia 8800GTX laying around but it's power hungry and I don't game so it's been sitting on the shelf for a while. Any suggestions on which upgrade will give me the biggest video improvement? Will I see any significant improvement by going to a ATI 6xxx card?

Thanks,

Jazz

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz B. /forum/post/20775548

Hello,

I've been out of touch lately with the latest videocards and need some advice on an upgrade path.

CPU - E6550 - OC to 3.1GHz

MB - Asus P5K

Memory - 4GB

Videocard - ATI Radeon 2600HD

Sound - Onboard SPDIF

Projector - Benq W500 720p

Receiver - Yamaha HTR6060

Speakers - Paradigm Millenia all around. Ultracube 12 Sub

I use this computer strictly for Movie Watching. I can play 1080p mkv files fine so I have no intention of upgrading the CPU.

I have a spare Nvidia 8800GTX laying around but it's power hungry and I don't game so it's been sitting on the shelf for a while. Any suggestions on which upgrade will give me the biggest video improvement? Will I see any significant improvement by going to a ATI 6xxx card?

Thanks,

Jazz

Jazz,

Based on your input, since you don't game and your AVR does not support bitstream HD audio codec, I don't see the need for you to upgrade to any GC.

If you are gamer, you can upgrade a better GC to take the advantage to the latest games out there.

If your AVR can decode HD format such as DTS MA and True HD, then I will get a better GC like ATI 5XXX or above to send uncompressed HD audio signal to AVR and enjoy the HD audio.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The Yamaha HTR 6060 does not play bitstreamed audio but does fine with LPCM, which in my opinion is just as good.

Your ASUS P5K motherboard has a PCI Express slot. You should not have a problem finding a card that will work with your system. I think the 5xxx series brought bitstreaming and the 6xxx series brought 3D.

Most of the talk lately about video improvement has involved the LAV splitter and MadVR. Some cards are discussed in that thread. You might read up and see if this is the direction you want to go. Here is a link to that thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1338724

·
Registered
876 Posts
The 2600 is perfect for what you are doing. I used a 2600XT for almost 4 years recording/playing OTA HD. Only reason I changed is it covered 2 slots and I needed one for another tuner. That was also a good gaming card and I've seen it still being sold. Mine even had the HDMI adapter on it as well as the dongle for analog and component.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.