AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very very old JBL DPS-10 which, if plugged in, starts making rude 60 HZ noises after about the amount of time you'd think it might take for a big cap to charge up, then goes on shortly to start doing an earthquake simulation :). If I figure out how to take it apart, anyone have any guesses if I might be able to repair it (or get it repaired), or is it likely to be a lot simpler to just buy a new sub?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. I replaced the c-6 capacitor and the c-24 and it made a small change but it still makes a loud hum when it is pluged in to power, even without any audio inputs or outputs. So if you where able to fix yours it would be great to know what you did. Reply: [email protected]

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Well, you could always contact Harmon in Chatsworth, CA if you live anywhere near there.

They have a huge facility where they store and repair JBL, Infinity, Harmon, etc. I dropped off an old 18" JBL to be reconed. They did the work and then called me to let me know it was ready about two weeks later. I would up letting them keep it though, as I moved to Texas that week and forgot about it in the rush. Would have cost a lot for shipping, as it was a VERY heavy subwoofer.

I really wish new AVS members would add their city & state to their profile. At the very least, put your country in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
JBL DPS-10 Sub wooffer.

Capacitor C6 id is 10microFarad at 100V, 50 Celsius Non-polarize

capacitor. Hope this help!

Mine just went out yesterday, C6 is defective again, but this time C24 is burnt also.

I think C24 is .1 MicroFarad, can anyone verify that? C24 is located top left of C6.

Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just bought one of these used on Craigslist, and 'uh-oh', after reading this, I'll be vigilant.

But so far so good. It's set at 50Hz, volume is low, it's fed by line outs of the pre..

Are you guys that are seeing the failures, are you running a fuller range, at higher volumes?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Capacitor Values

JBL DPS-10 Sub wooffer.

Capacitor C6 id is 10microFarad at 100V, 50 Celsius Non-polarize
capacitor. Hope this help!

Mine just went out yesterday, C6 is defective again, but this time C24 is burnt also.

I think C24 is .1 MicroFarad, can anyone verify that? C24 is located top left of C6.

Thanks
Mine just recently did the same thing so I did some searching and found the PDF Service Manual. It lists out all the components values on Page 25. Here's a link to the PDF.

http://schematicsforum.com/schematics/Audio/JBL/PSWD110_DPS-10%20sm.pdf

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts