AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would my pair of old Klipsch Ksb 1.1 speakers (1997) compare to something new like some polk audio Monitor40 series? (120$/pair)

I know they say you need to listen and pick yourself but I am just wondering if technology or build quality has changed much over the years or if these would be comparable (I know they are entry level)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm sure you would probably notice a difference - you're comparing a horn-loaded Klipsch speaker to a more conventional Polk with a dome-tweeter. Just from glancing at the KSB 1.1's, the Monitor 40's may provide more bass owing to their driver complement and larger size, but how much I'm not sure; from specifications the Klipsch are rated 65-20k, while the Polk's are showing 47-20k - if you've got a subwoofer in the system it probably won't matter a whole lot either way (aside from perhaps requiring you to change the crossover value a bit), if you're using them individually it still probably won't matter a whole lot (The Monitor 40's may provide more bass, but it won't be as dramatic as just adding a subwoofer to the Klipsch speakers).

The question is, and this is where it becomes more personal, is that difference going to be a positive or a negative from your perspective?

As far as technology and build quality changing - not as much as we'd like to think.

If you can try the Monitor 40's out, either at a retailer, or if you can take them home for a week or so, you'll be better able to answer your question. I'm guessing both will be "good" though.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
With the subwoofer in the system, I think the biggest thing you'll be comparing is the driver load-out; this may or may not lead to perceived increases in accuracy or whatever else. The extension advantages of the Polk speakers are more or less irrelevant, simply because you're integrating them with a subwoofer.

If you're really curious, I'd still suggest trying it out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Picked up a pair of ksb 1.1 at a Goodwill for $10 and to my delight they offer a really nice sound. The highs are surprisingly smooth and detailed unless the recording itself gets trebly or complex. The bass doesn't go very low but the overall sound still has a decent weight to it. Jazz sounds amazing on them.

I quickly compared it to the Pioneer bs41 which are warmer, fuller sounding, and offers a lot more bass... but as for resolution and clarity, I was impressed with the Klipsch in my quick comparo session. I didn't hear how the horns will work with movie dialogue but Ella Fitzgerald was clear as a bell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.