AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not subscribe to cable or satellite programming and receive my signal over the air. I recently purchased a Zenith DTT901 digital converter box and would like to set up my ReplayTV to control it. Can someone give me any pointers?

Thank you for your help and I look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm not an old lady, but ditto that.

I'm blown away replay hasn't said anything about the converter.

My "lifetime" subscription is becoming a pretty short-lived deal.

I'm not too happy about that.

Seems to me they should be:

updating guide data for sub-channels

release IR codes for a few dozen converter boxes

fix the double select and dhcp bugs (while they're "in there").

·
Registered
43 Posts
Considering ReplayTV is a "dead" product, I hope you are not going to hold your breath waiting for changes.

To Old Lady, do you have problem with the connections? Or setting up the IR to change the channels?

This seems to be the latest summary I've seen about what converter boxes work:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14583463

However, assuming you want to get it to work with your DTT901, it looks like you need to load a new IR code file to your ReplayTV:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15528982

·
Registered
790 Posts
It would be painfully simple for Replay's new masters to upload the .RID (ReplayTV IR control) files created by FlipFlop, myself, and others. They could also provide digital OTA and subchannels in the guide data, but consider that ReplayTV intellectual property was purchased not to prolong its life, but to ensure its death. DirecTV has its own DVRs to sell. They also sell local channels as an add-on fee to their satellite channels. What better way to eliminate competition than to buy it and control its fate!

I believe the only hope for OTA on ReplayTV after 17Feb09 is WiRNS to remap cable or satellite guide data as OTA. FlipFlop made an easy PC boot CD that quickly and painlessly uploads most of the custom IR control files to Replay units from a networked PC. Some network chips or cards (like mine) don't play well with the Linux program, but an enterprising Linux master could refine the idea further. Tanzella (on planetreplay.com) made a nice tutorial for getting guide data configured. WiRNS runs peacefully in the background (most of the time) to keep guide data churning to Replay boxes in the house. There are plenty of "boy scouts" on this forum and planetreplay that could guide little old ladies across the proverbial street.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm not holding my breath, but it is pretty frustrating that they're leaving a *lot* of us in the lurch. I don't want to get a dish, at least not now. I also don't want to watch live TV.

I'd think the guide updates would happen by themselves. Replay doesn't do the guide, they use someone else's. So that's probably done.

That leaves the "painfully simple" process of giving us some IR codes. They do it with cable boxes, now they need to do it with TV boxes.

Heck, even the word that they're f&*#ing us over (just my opinion) would be better than no word at all. I expected *something* by now, that's all.

Guess it's justlooking's boot CD and flipflop's directions and Wirns.

I've "wanted" to learn Wirns for a couple years now. Its looking like I'll be forced into it soon. arg.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank /forum/post/15561753

I'm not holding my breath, but it is pretty frustrating that they're leaving a *lot* of us in the lurch. I don't want to get a dish, at least not now. I also don't want to watch live TV.

I'd think the guide updates would happen by themselves. Replay doesn't do the guide, they use someone else's. So that's probably done.That leaves the "painfully simple" process of giving us some IR codes. They do it with cable boxes, now they need to do it with TV boxes.

Heck, even the word that they're f&*#ing us over (just my opinion) would be better than no word at all. I expected *something* by now, that's all.

Guess it's justlooking's boot CD and flipflop's directions and Wirns.

I've "wanted" to learn Wirns for a couple years now. Its looking like I'll be forced into it soon. arg.

Unless it changed when DirecTV bought ReplayTV, I was pretty sure Tribune Media Services provided the guide data. Replay guide data is getting stripped of the digital listings if it's still TMS, since zap2it OTA has all of my digital stations and subchannels.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones that can't get locals with satellite, despite the fact that all but one come from a major metro market. I have a local CBS station that creates a piss-ant micro market in my county. Not a snowball's chance I'll ever see locals offered to me by Dish or DirecTV. By switching from cable to Dish at the first of this year, I gave myself 1.5 months of debugging time to get OTA HD correct on my Replay units. I've had a couple hiccups that were part of the tweaking process, but I expect I'll be A-OK come 17Feb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Using the links in Jimrin's post I got to the ISO flies for some software CD's burned the "D" CD and selected Satellite box code 2008,, I now have partial code

I can get any "Whole" channel (2,4,7,20,50,56,62) here in Detroit

I can get 20-2, 50-2, 56-2 7-2

I can not get 2-2 or 4-2

So it does work, but does anyoe have a suggestion for the lower channel "other" Tiers?

·
Registered
626 Posts
It sure seems to be a 3 digit vs. 2 digit thing.

Change your replay to always send 3 digits (it was in the fine tuning).

And for me, I had to set mine specifically to NOT send the "enter". Or else it wouldn't work right (I forget the symptoms).

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank /forum/post/15851864

It sure seems to be a 3 digit vs. 2 digit thing.

Change your replay to always send 3 digits (it was in the fine tuning).

And for me, I had to set mine specifically to NOT send the "enter". Or else it wouldn't work right (I forget the symptoms).

Ok, how do I get to "Fine Tuning" on the replay.. I know it is discussed around here but I've not yet stumbled around that feature. Would be nice to do it.

Never mind.. Found it.. Thank you very much

Alas, did not help though I typed in 402 and it did what it did before (40-2) and typing in 42 got me 42-1

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Try setting the fine tuning for 4 digits...

If that doesn't work, play with your remote to see what it takes. Whatever you press on the remote to get 4-2 (using only the numeric pad) is how you need to program the Replay...

Henry

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBFR270 /forum/post/15862219

Have you tried using a lead zero? (i.e. 042 for 4-2)

Just a thought as some of my devices work this way.

The Replay doesn't send leading zeros unless you set the number of digits. Setting the number of digits to 3 makes it send 042, so that means that they already tried that. Setting the number of digits to 4 makes it send 0042...

Henry

·
Registered
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA8YXM /forum/post/15855771

Alas, did not help though I typed in 402 and it did what it did before (40-2) and typing in 42 got me 42-1

how is this not right? 402 should be 40.2. To get 4.2 you should enter in 42. No?

Also, if it is the DTT-900/901, then you need to turn off the "send enter" command.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/15863224

The Replay doesn't send leading zeros unless you set the number of digits. Setting the number of digits to 3 makes it send 042, so that means that they already tried that. Setting the number of digits to 4 makes it send 0042...

Henry

Well, I learned something new, (may need it soon).

Sorry for confusing things.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you using a DTT901? I just got one today and it pulls the following X-1 channels:

It pulls the following x-2 channels,

It pulls the following x-3 channels,

There are more stations than that available (9-1, 28-1, etc.) I'm using the 4-bay DIY antenna and I'm holding it up with two bricks on the side of the house.

When I get the roof top antenna changed over to RG6 Quad cable, I can give you the DIY if you'd like. It cost me $8 to assemble. Have you tried turning your antenna northeast?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts