1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of M&K S-3B satellite speakers and a VX-4

subwoofer. I can find little information on the M&K archive

site or general internet search.

Does anyone have the specs on these discontinued speakers?

Could I use the S-3B's as surround speakers for the time

being?

The VX-4 should be OK for a subwoofer for now, shouldn't it?

These speakers are about 18 years old but little used - Do the

cones go bad with age or are they like a fine wine????

Thanks!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Speakers do wear out. If you already have the speakers the obvious best way to determine if they'll work for your app is to try them. If you're thinking about purchasing them I'd take them to your local recone shop and get a quick once-over.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already own the speakers - they were my *last* foray into

the AV world about 17yrs ago (before children).

I'm not that worried about the subwoofer, I can test them

when I get my new Reciever.

The "satelite speakers", however, run off of jacks out of the back of the subwoofer. Both L and R signals feed into the Subwoofer from the Amp

and then back out to the L and R satelite speakers. I'm not sure whether this was a passive or active pass-through. I'm concerned they may be an odd resistance or have a limited capacity.....

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
I believe the satellites hooked up speaker level, with a pass-through in the sub. Low frequencies were low-passed to the sub at around 100 Hz. Your satellites are not crossed over; they are running full range. If you buy an A/V receiver, you might run the speakers off it directly and set them to "small."

I'm much more familiar with the V1B, V2B, and V3B systems of that era, so I could be mistaken. If you call M&K, there are people who have been there since the '80s who can make suggestions. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.