Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't remember reading about this on this forum, but check out:

http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireles...23/uei_to.html

The part that caught my eye was: "The new digital video recorders (DVRs) will feature a custom-designed wireless controller, as well as embedded connectivity software that will allow them to access cable and satellite set-top boxes for seamless digital recording.

UEI provides a database of infrared codes that currently supports more than 130,000 device functions across 1,500 consumer electronics brands. UEI's powerful connectivity software will enable Replay TV 5000 to accurately control set-top boxes and ensure smooth delivery of the digital media experience. "

Are they just talking about an improvement to the existing IR blaster? Just curious.

·
Registered
886 Posts
That sounds interesting. It looks like this will be a replacement for the existing IR Blaster. No more wires! Especially important now that I've got IR Blaster problems.

That article states that this is included on the 5000 series. I haven't heard any 5000 users reporting anything different for the IR Blaster. Maybe this has something to do with the USB port on the new Replays? It does say it will be used for wireless connectivity...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Maybe I just don't get it, but how will this replace the IR Blaster. Unless ALL cable boxes and satelite receivers have some other methods of changing channels then how can you replace the IR blaster?

·
Registered
286 Posts
The blaster is SORTA wireless already because it is technically not plugged into the cable box/receiver. :)

Your only 2 options to interface are the serial plug which is not always an option and the IR. The only way I envision it is that they could have an IR blaster controlled by the RTV via a wireless signal. Or maybe the will have a super blaster that bathes the whole room in infra red cable codes!

Anyone know what the max range is for the IR Blaster?

Mine's about a cm away from my cable box.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bluetooth enabled? Embedded S/W: Change the port/channel, make sure the bitstream changes? Missed recordings should not happen now due to a cable box being turned off, as I see it. The Replay knows when there's no video; why not use that knowledge to turn the box on as well...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.