AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has installed either a DVI-D Accessory (believe is the Panasonic TY-42TM6D) or just read about a HDMI board (Panasonic TY-FB7HM)

My Panasonic model was all component video...all vga inputs including the HD D-Sub 15 Pin input to use as an external monitor.

I hear about these analog to digital devices like HDFury and before I buy one of these...would be nice to know if maybe the DVI-D board is hard to install and even if it works. I would like to take advantage of upscaling DVD's...not even sure if it will really be that noticeable on my monitor.

Probably should just buy another monitor...getting cheaper...but I like the picture and if only a couple hundred will do what I need to do..better option right now.

Will the TH-42TH6D work in the 6 series? I think I can then use a HDMI to DVI cable from my blu ray...is this right?

I have installed hard drives on my computers...changed memory...did simple things where it's just plugging into a slot...wondering if this is how these are installed. Take the non-used slot cover off and then just pop it into a slot like a video card or something. Is it easy enough to install like this or more complicated?

Anyone had success with this? I am having difficultly getting Panasonic to answer my questions...and it's frustrating to say the least.

Thanks so much,

Bob..St. Pete, FL

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McKissick /forum/post/12912296

I was just wondering if anyone has installed either a DVI-D Accessory (believe is the Panasonic TY-42TM6D) or just read about a HDMI board (Panasonic TY-FB7HM)

My Panasonic model was all component video...all vga inputs including the HD D-Sub 15 Pin input to use as an external monitor.

I hear about these analog to digital devices like HDFury and before I buy one of these...would be nice to know if maybe the DVI-D board is hard to install and even if it works. I would like to take advantage of upscaling DVD's...not even sure if it will really be that noticeable on my monitor.

Probably should just buy another monitor...getting cheaper...but I like the picture and if only a couple hundred will do what I need to do..better option right now.

Will the TH-42TH6D work in the 6 series? I think I can then use a HDMI to DVI cable from my blu ray...is this right?

I have installed hard drives on my computers...changed memory...did simple things where it's just plugging into a slot...wondering if this is how these are installed. Take the non-used slot cover off and then just pop it into a slot like a video card or something. Is it easy enough to install like this or more complicated?

Anyone had success with this? I am having difficultly getting Panasonic to answer my questions...and it's frustrating to say the least.

Thanks so much,

Bob..St. Pete, FL

DVI-D = YES

HDMI = NO

Panasonic input boards need to be equal or less than the Plasma series version:

TH50PHD6 can use a TY-42TM6D but not a TY-FB7HM

TH50PHD7 can use a TY-FB7SD or TY-42TM6D but not a TY-FB9BD

T Wiz

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
and yes you can use a DVI - HDMI cable to route the video. Audio will need to be either analog via an M3 stereo mini-plug (like a walkman) or use a separate audio system.

The BluRay will be limited to 1080i maximum, no 1080p at either 60 or 24 and of course no "full color".

TW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the input...it took me long enough to find out I could add the DVI-D blade. I have a series 6...so will look for the item now along with a good cable. It has to work better than what I was going to do...get one of those HDFury models.

Many thanks..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find the slots boards for this TV. I would like to track down the HDMI board if it can still be found.

Additionlly, I would like to find the original TV stand for this unit. I have wall mounted it for years, but now I need to place it in a room that will not suport the weight on the wall.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema11 /forum/post/16247267

Does anyone know where I can find the slots boards for this TV. I would like to track down the HDMI board if it can still be found.

Sorry but as TW wrote, the 6th Generation Commercial Displays DON'T ACCEPT HDMI Boards. You must get the TY-42TM6D DVI Board and use a DVI/HDMI Cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema11 /forum/post/16247267

Additionally, I would like to find the original TV stand for this unit. I have wall mounted it for years, but now I need to place it in a room that will not suport the weight on the wall.

Any suggestions?

The original stand for your Plasma is the TY-ST05-K but the TY-ST07K , TY-ST08M , TY-ST10M , TY-ST42PT3K , TY-ST42PT1U and TY-ST42PA20 stands will also fit perfectly. Since most of these stands are discontinued, Ebay is your best bet.

·
Registered
910 Posts
hi guys

I have a couple of extra boards in my office. 1 component and 1 svideo/ composite. Dont know if this would work in your application? Email me if interested.

gregg
[email protected]

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
TY-42TM6D is hard to find these days... You search hard enough a few places might carry them. Be sure to call first to verify.

Installing the blade is simple, just like plug n play. Be sure to unplug the power cord from the plasma first before you snap that blade in. Otherwise the TV may not get the blade to recognize and won't work. I have done this on both 7UY and 9UK.

To bad you won't be able to get 1:1 pixel mapping with your 6UY display because it's a 42". However the colors should be improved and better whites.

Let me just say.... TY-42TM6D + 50" Panny Professional panel + HTPC = Nuclear Bomb

You see, this is the reason why I'm still using my 4 year old 7UY display.

·
Registered
910 Posts

Quote:
However the colors should be improved and better whites.

The above is not true. Your panel will be capable of a very nice image with a component connection (assuming a quality source is used).

·
Banned
2,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/16247487

The above is not true. Your panel will be capable of a very nice image with a component connection (assuming a quality source is used).

Define "very nice image".

That nice image may look good to you but not good to me...

Given the same pristine source the use of DVI-D sets the picture quality apart from the use of Component or VGA. The colors weren't as good with VGA or Component. They were a bit exaggerative, unnatural colors. The whites weren't clean either. The DVI connection improved these areas. It also provided stronger contrast/ 3-D Pop, brighter areas came a little brighter, giving the images a better contrast. I am just saying based on my hands-on experience. Don't just go around and saying "The above is not true.". What would be acceptable is if you said something like "I *THINK* the above is not true.".

·
Banned
2,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/16247342

hi guys

I have a couple of extra boards in my office. 1 component and 1 svideo/ composite. Dont know if this would work in your application? Email me if interested.

gregg
[email protected]

The dudes here are not interested in 1 component and 1 s-video/composite. We are talking about a DVI-D blade here, TY-42TM6D.

·
Registered
910 Posts

Quote:
The dudes here are not interested in 1 component and 1 s-video/composite. We are talking about a DVI-D blade here, TY-42TM6D.

Perhaps he might be. All things being equal component is essentially the same as DVI. the price would be right (free plus the cost of shipping).

·
Registered
910 Posts
I guess the real question for Bob (AKA: Dude) is what will be the purpose of it?

·
Banned
2,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/16247764

I would be happy to. "the same exact image as with DVI".

How you gonna do that? Take pics between the two setup with same content?

What I am trying to tell you is that based on my "hands-on" experience on both Component, VGA, and DVI, they don't look the same. I explained to you in the previous post but you seemed dead quiet about it, like you don't know what to say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/16247767

Sorry to burst your bubble.

You are the president of Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc? Well try acting like one. Your comment is like childish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/16247774

Perhaps he might be. All things being equal component is essentially the same as DVI. the price would be right (free plus the cost of shipping).

Component and DVI are essentially the same? Then how come I get different image quality with the DVI?

Gregg *dude*, you could combine all your little dinky posts into 1. Are you doing a post count? Do you know how to combine quotes in one post?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Bob, LMK if youd like the extra component blade.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/16247900

Bob, LMK if youd like the extra component blade.

The dude is not interested in a component blade. He wants a DVI blade. They are not the same...

You must love component connection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts