AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I haven't been on here in a while.. I'm now wanting to build a htpc for surfing the net, netflix, hulu, over the air HD pvr, bd player, DVD player

The used parts I have are

asus k8n mobo (socket 754)

amd athlon 64 Venice oc'd at 3ghz

2g ram

350w power supply

I will need a Hard drive or two, graphics card, htpc case, And over the air capture card.. Also I would like to do all this with a remote or mouse.. Is that possible? Will these old parts handle all this? Or should I junk it? I have a very minimal budget to get this thing running.. I will be running vista 64

thanks

Any suggestion appreciated

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think it would work if you added a 4550 or better video card.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
You might have trouble with Vista 64 on that old hardware and BD will probably be an issue as well. If it were me I would try XP first without a BR drive and see how it handles things. Then Rip a BR to the HDD and see how it handles it. I know it will do everything else you want. But BR will probably be an issue since some guys with much more powerful rigs have BR issues.

BB

·
Registered
389 Posts
Definitely want to get a decent video card to handle HD video. I had a 3500+ and it could barely play 720p, and 1080p said no, but using a HD 4850 it cranked right along. You could also try to use Window 7, I found it ran smoother on my 3500+ than Vista, and had less issues than XP, on my A8N-SLI XP wouldn't recognize any of the USB ports as 2.0 which was annoying.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Most people recommend not using a 64bit OS.

Also if your on a very tight budget read up on blu ray playback. Its not like DVD, you need some pretty expensive software to get it to work.

I've read many posts where people are saying at this time it can be more of a pain then anything.

But of course others have a fine experience.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by INphotog /forum/post/16924504

surfing the net, netflix, hulu, over the air HD pvr, bd player, DVD player

The used parts I have are

asus k8n mobo (socket 754)

amd athlon 64 Venice oc'd at 3ghz

2g ram

350w power supply

HD playback: Do you want to store your collection on the hard drive or convert it or simply play back discs? If it is playback, then you can keep your components and simply add a HD capable card. Both ATI and Nividia have good HD capable cards which will offload HD decoding from the CPU which will allow you to use your older MB-CPU without problems. If you have a PCIE slot you have a variety of choices (any HD series card is good). If you have an AGP slot, choices are limited and a good card starts at $50 (eg. I have the Visiontek AGP HD2400).

Since you are planning to use Vista, I would advise you to use 32 bit. It will run fine on 2GB ram. I have 2 computers with P4s running on 2 GB and they play Blu-Rays just fine.

Now, if you want to play any other format of HD (MKV etc.) then I don't know whether the card can off-load decoding or not.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/16925964

You might have trouble with Vista 64 on that old hardware and BD will probably be an issue as well. If it were me I would try XP first without a BR drive and see how it handles things. BB

I've used older AMD hardware for Blu-ray and found that it's XP that's problematic, while Vista x64 is fine.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunnill /forum/post/16926343

I've used older AMD hardware for Blu-ray and found that it's XP that's problematic, while Vista x64 is fine.

+1 Nowadays drivers aren't a problem, and if you have a 64 bit cpu there's really not much point in not using a 64 bit OS. Seems there's still some FUD regarding x64.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot /forum/post/16926423

+1 Nowadays drivers aren't a problem, and if you have a 64 bit cpu there's really not much point in not using a 64 bit OS. Seems there's still some FUD regarding x64.

Last night, I fresh-installed Vista x64 on yet another HTPC incarnation. The sequence was install Vista, install the updates, install the Intel driver package, install PowerDVD OEM, and install the PowerDVD update. I set the rez to 1080i and put in an HD-DVD. It played fine. VMC worked fine with the tuner card, as well, with the drivers installing automatically without any manual intervention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.